English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 July 2016, 16:54   #981
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Games like Street Fighter 2 and Robocod etc dont recognise the CD32 pad on any kickstart etc yet they were made long before the CD32 pad so why they not just work in Two button mode like all other games.
Old 27 July 2016, 17:35   #982
Daedalus

Probably because they set pin 5 low. If they manually read the ports, the pins to be read need to be set high manually. It's possible the programmers looked at the bit pattern needed and set the pins they didn't need to low. This stops the CD32 pad from working, but wouldn't immediately be obvious as a problem since the pads weren't around. That register isn't needed for the main fire button however, so programmers wouldn't have any need to mess with them unless they wanted to support the 2nd button. Which explains why most games work fine with the CD32 pad.
Old 27 July 2016, 17:38   #983
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Thanks for your replys some two button games also dont work with the CD32 pad I guess that explains it.
Old 27 July 2016, 17:51   #984
xArtx

Although they used all four buffers of the game controller’s 74125,
it looks like the output of the shift register is only buffered because they had the spare buffer left in the chip.
It is always tied low, so can’t be switched high impedance, so it occurs to me the direct
output of the shift register would be just as useful to send to the CD32,
and one buffer in the 74125 could be freed up for the manual switching.

Daedalus, I suppose you could tell me then, where that magic 7 bits in the Amiga’s memory map is?
I’m sure I can find the PotX output like any other Amiga.
Old 27 July 2016, 18:18   #985
Daedalus

That's a good point - I wonder if the output from the shift register is too weak to overcome Paula's internal pull-up effect and needs buffering for that reason. You'd still need something to set the buffer since all the I/O pins are used already for the CD32 pad - pin 5 would be indistinguishable from CD32 operation and pin 9 would prevent its use for 2-button mode leaving you with only the main fire button.

I'm not sure which bits you mean - the 7 CD32 buttons don't correspond to any bits in the Amiga memory map. They're reassembled from the serial output on the Button 2 line (pin 9), which shows up along with pin 5 in the POTGO register (which covers both controller ports and also sets the signal direction for each pin). You can use lowlevel.library to do the reading and decoding, or assemble the stream manually without too much trouble if you want to read the pad without having Kickstart 3.1. POTGO is a special register which is write-only - to read it you need to read from POTGOR.
Old 28 July 2016, 11:07   #986
xArtx

Ok, understood
If you were totally shifting it in yourself, how does it not become desynchronised?
I remember you saying the 7th bit of the shift register is supposed to be tied high the way it is,
but why is that bit special when most of the time, with no buttons pressed, all 8 bits would be high.
Or are they just relying that it never errors, and that one ferrite bead on the serial line in the joypad was insurance?
Old 28 July 2016, 11:30   #987
Daedalus

Ah, I get you... Yeah, there's no checksumming or anything, but as far as serial comms go it's not that fast and is pretty reliable. It never goes out of sync because you provide the clock signal yourself. You set pin 6 high and low each time you want to read a new bit on pin 9, and repeat that on until you've read all the bits you need, including the last "ID" bits that are always 1 and 0 (bits 7 and 8 if read in sequence). They're set that way so that you can detect the pad even if you hold down buttons during the detection operation.

Since you're reading the pin state after the clock pulse has been sent, you're really doing level detection rather than edge detection, which *should* be far less likely to be misread.
Old 02 August 2016, 14:42   #988
xArtx

Ok, so I found that if I disconnect pin 5 of the CD32 controller,
and pull the input to the joystick side (74125 buffer input) up high,
the controller works in the normal joystick mode for the older game I mentioned “Galactic” where it didn’t before.
I haven’t found a game that uses the second joystick button to test that yet.
Old 12 August 2016, 13:40   #989
s2325
Zone Friend

Are Fist Fighter and Street Combat (SNES) have some connections as graphics and gameplay are really similar?
Old 21 August 2016, 13:24   #990
eXeler0

Could someone explain this part from the Vampire Core "instructions":
------------------------------------------------------------------
*** Note ***
You'll find in Extras directory a .pch file to patch "AmigaOS ROM Update" file from BoingBall2 to get it compatible with Vampire. Use spatch from Aminet to patch your original file.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this patch *ONLY* for the file you get with BoingBall2 (Which I don't have)?
Meaning it can be completely ignored if I don't have BoingBall2 installed?
Old 21 August 2016, 21:24   #991
s2325
Zone Friend

Is it Amiga model which I can not recognize or IBM PC?

Old 21 August 2016, 22:06   #992
volvo_0ne

Why does AMOS have the most annoying (system) file requestor in the whole universe?
Old 21 August 2016, 22:31   #993
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post

I remember those but the design has aged horribly. Anyway it's an Amstrad PC. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=am...w=1125&bih=693
Old 21 August 2016, 22:44   #994
s2325
Zone Friend

You're right, this joystick may suggest some gaming machine.
Old 21 August 2016, 22:55   #995
dJOS

Amiga questions you've always been too embarrassed to ask

Quote:

It's an IBM compatible Iirc. I think we had some of those in high school, the design is very unique.
Old 22 August 2016, 09:10   #996
TroyWilkins

Quote:

Oh my, that brings back memories... Looks like the Amstrad 286 my brother and I shared before I got my A1200... When we got it, we got all the original manuals for it, and it still had most of the original software on it - it was from a deceased estate, it was my fathers before he died, but at that point my parents had been separated for years and I never saw him again...

Anyway, it was interesting because it used I think it was AA batteries (could have been triple A), to back up the BIOS data, and they were located under where the monitor went. Also, it had a volume control for the internal speaker, and rather than using up a com port for the mouse, it had an amiga/atari style 9 pin port for the mouse to plug in, which of course was proprietary, as was the keyboard connector (which we found out the hard way after liquids were spilt into the keyboard and we tried plugging in a standard AT keyboard). 286 @ 12Mhz with 1Mb of RAM, I think it had the 14" VGA screen, 40Mb hard disk, MS-DOS 4.01, Windows 2/286...

It was interesting to compare this to my A1200 when I got it, they both had the same size hard disk, but the hard disk in my A1200 was notably faster, I had twice the ram, and while on paper the 14MHz 68ec020 was faster than the 12MHz 80286, we all know I'm sure that the A1200 really needs at least some fast RAM to operate at it's potential. Civilisation ran much better on the 286, but syndicate ran better on the A1200. And comparing Workbench 3 to Windows 2, hahaha. We did end up putting Windows 3.1 on the Amstrad, but it was never anywhere near stable, often hanging the machine before it had finished booting, or at random times during operation - even if we were just playing solitaire.
Old 22 August 2016, 18:29   #997
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_0ne View Post
Why does AMOS have the most annoying (system) file requestor in the whole universe?
Because it's made by an Atari ST programmer.

And let's not forget that when AMOS first came out, the Amiga didn't even have a standard file requester. Everyone rolled their own or used req.library or ARP.
Old 23 August 2016, 04:53   #998
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Because it's made by an Atari ST programmer.

And let's not forget that when AMOS first came out, the Amiga didn't even have a standard file requester. Everyone rolled their own or used req.library or ARP.
Agreed. It's easy for us to forget how spoilt we really are now.

For an easy demonstration, boot Workbench 1.3, load up Notepad, and choose Open from the Project menu. Not particularly user friendly I'd say.

Click image for larger version

Name:	os13requester.png
Views:	194
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	49533
Old 23 August 2016, 10:46   #999
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyWilkins View Post

For an easy demonstration, boot Workbench 1.3, load up Notepad, and choose Open from the Project menu. Not particularly user friendly I'd say.
Yep, back then having a project icon to launch the software against the data file was actually a good idea in some cases. :-)
Old 23 August 2016, 22:09   #1000
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyWilkins View Post

Attachment 49533
So basically you need to have a good memory or do a file listing in a shell before you can know which filename to type in there. Damn, that's gangster.