English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 04 January 2015, 01:26   #1
gulliver
BoingBagged

Vlab Motion/Draco/Casablanca

The toccata.library 14.1 was the last official MacroSystem release.

It was included in the Casablanca (the Casablanca Motion card, inside the Cassie, has a built-in toccata), and in the latest incarnations of the DraCo system software (the DraCo has a toccata built, in its Dracomotion AV NLE card). I have both of these systems, and in both, this library works great.

I also used it, like 8 years ago on an A4000 with a Toccata that my brother had back then.

@Tony Wilen
Would you be interested in doing some Vlab Motion hardware emulation?

It wold be really interesting to run MovieShop NLE software, and potentially this way build the resources to in some future add both DraCo and Casablanca emulation.

I own a working Vlab Motion v1.2 card that I can happily sacrifice in the name of WinUAE.
I can send it for free if you are interested in hacking it, to reverse engineer it.

Last edited by gulliver; 04 January 2015 at 01:32.
Old 04 January 2015, 20:22   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Would you be interested in doing some Vlab Motion hardware emulation?

It wold be really interesting to run MovieShop NLE software, and potentially this way build the resources to in some future add both DraCo and Casablanca emulation.

I own a working Vlab Motion v1.2 card that I can happily sacrifice in the name of WinUAE.
I can send it for free if you are interested in hacking it, to reverse engineer it.
Can't say without enough background information but it feels really boring non-Amiga..
Old 05 January 2015, 00:11   #3
ccapublic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Can't say without enough background information but it feels really boring non-Amiga..
Quel tact !
Old 05 January 2015, 06:05   #4
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccapublic View Post
Quel tact !
English, please
Old 05 January 2015, 15:50   #5
Mclane
Old fart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccapublic View Post
Quel tact !
I don't believe Toni was being rude, he was just voicing an opinion on if it was a viable proposition, remember its bloody hard work to reverse engineer all this stuff and if its not really sufficiently worth it then its a waste of his free time.

Toni is a real nice guy....(Toni, make sure the money is in the post this time)
Old 05 January 2015, 23:41   #6
ccapublic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclane View Post
I don't believe Toni was being rude (...) remember its bloody hard work to reverse engineer all this stuff (...) Toni is a real nice guy...
Being myself a HW/SW guy, I do more than imagine all the work behind WinUAE, and can no less but sincerely admire this fantastic piece of SW, for which I donated a couple of times (which is the least I can do).

Even though I found the answer "a little too straightforward", I did not mean to criticize a person I don't even know or discussed with.
Old 06 January 2015, 10:27   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

[moved from beta thread]

I am always too straightforward.

There is not that much information about Draco or Casablanca available, especially actual, real, confirmed and useful technical information. Basic things like memory maps, markings of all non-Amiga chips, how they are connected, data sheets and so on.

All units are most likely owned by collectors that don't care how it really works. (Yes, now I am even more straightforward!)

EDIT: I am interested in this hardware but currently only at "it would be nice to know how it works"-level, not to emulate it.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 06 January 2015 at 14:47.
Old 06 January 2015, 18:19   #8
gulliver
BoingBagged

I did not take Toni´s answer as rude. I know it was a simple straight answer.

I really enjoy using the Vlab Motion, the Draco and the Casablanca (I own all 3 of them). And the sad fact is that I agree with Toni that these pieces of hardware, are very thin on documentation and tech details.

It is obscure, mildly rare hardware, which I find fascinating in many ways. I was simply taking a shot with the only individual that could potentially shed some light on these devices, and make it all available for everyone.

Anyway Toni, my rejected offer still stands (if for some odd reason you change your mind). And I now add that I can lend you a set of working DraCo boards (a complete cased unit is a shipping killer). Only lend, because I cherish the DraCo too much to let it go forever (I wouldnt blame you if it breaks in the process though). And of course I can send it for free (for the amount of time you require).