English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 07 March 2009, 23:59   #21
Madcrow

e-UAE in general is a PITA. It's developers just plain lost interest in it, leaving it with a VERY unfinished UI and code from the WinUAE 1.3/1.4 era...

Also, Daemon Tools is actually a more sophisticated tool than the Linux mounting system, in that Daemon Tools creates an actual virtual disk drive that responds to commands like a real disk drive, while Unix mounting systems simply make files available to the user in the directory tree. In theory a real virtual drive should be possible in Linux but I don't think anyone's done it yet.
Old 08 March 2009, 23:40   #22
alanwall

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrow View Post
Can ISOs be mounted as hardfiles? I've got some magazine Cover CD images and I was wondering if there's any way to actually use them short of burning real disks and recompiling e-UAE with scsi support?
If you are using Linux, then you can mount the ISO with this program:
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Deskt...mage-2216.shtm
And if Windows, try UltaISO-it's FREE
Old 10 March 2009, 02:09   #23
Madcrow

I gave up on trying to make e-UAE work the way I want it... I now have a Windows partition that exists for the sole purpose of Amiga emulation...
Old 10 March 2009, 02:18   #24
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrow View Post
I now have a Windows partition that exists for the sole purpose of Amiga emulation...
This is the only realistic option when WinUAE is the finest Amiga emulator there is.
Old 10 March 2009, 03:09   #25
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
This is the only realistic option when WinUAE is the finest Amiga emulator there is.
Indeed. Stil, I wish I didn't have to... I even tried WinUAE in Wine to avoid having to reinstall Windows, but it didn't work very well at all. I couldn't even get decent emulation speeds of A500 through Wine.
Old 10 March 2009, 09:24   #26
TCD

There are some threads about Wine here. In the last post of this one (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39275) mark_k mentions something about filters. Maybe this is useful and you can get rid of Windows again
Old 10 March 2009, 10:21   #27
OddbOd

In case anyone comes across this thread at some point in the future, the only way to mount CD images under Linux the same way as Daemon Tools/Alcohol/etc. is to use CDemu. The trick is in the fact that CDemu uses a kernel module to emulate a SCSI optical drive so you must ensure that E-UAE has SCSI support compiled in for it to work.

As an aside I have been unable to find a comparable device emulator for OS X, and before anyone repeats an obviously bogus answer, using hdiutil doesn't do the job.

Last edited by OddbOd; 10 March 2009 at 10:28.
Old 10 March 2009, 14:28   #28
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd View Post
As an aside I have been unable to find a comparable device emulator for OS X, and before anyone repeats an obviously bogus answer, using hdiutil doesn't do the job.
Why would you need an OS X equivalent to CDemu? (Not a rhetorical question.) Frankly, this whole thread is bizarre. It's not E-UAE's fault if someone can't mount an ISO.
Old 10 March 2009, 20:26   #29
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklinger View Post
Why would you need an OS X equivalent to CDemu? (Not a rhetorical question.) Frankly, this whole thread is bizarre. It's not E-UAE's fault if someone can't mount an ISO.
This is not about mounting isos to access just the files, which is quite straight forward nowadays. This is more about getting low level access to the device (ie. to sector level) which is often needed to get copy-protections (ok, isos cannot store these anyway) or to use native filesystems 'inside' (to circumvent file attribute conversions on the host system) an emulator. This is actually more easy on windows, but CDemu seems to (should be able to) do the job. So thanks to OddbOd for pointing in that direction. Have to try it out on the next rainy weekend.
Old 11 March 2009, 14:52   #30
Madcrow

I tried CDemu actually. It wouldn't mount any of the images I tossed at it, it managed to find an error for all of them, even ones that the native mounting system on Linux and Daemon Tools on windows had no problem with.
Old 11 March 2009, 20:33   #31
Jerry

Strange,
works fine here at a quick test. Tried cd/dvd isos and a ccd, and all is as expected. Have to try if the copy protection works in wine as soon as I have a bit more time .