English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 25 February 2009, 10:57   #21
rattus

As far as I know, you can use WinUAE config files with Hi-Toro/E-UAE, it will tell you if some features are not supported (or just ignore them like JIT). Maybe try to find one that is optimised for older computers for maximum speed...? Also try setting your Mac display to thousands of colours.

This guide details how to set up a config file for an A500 under WinUAE, which could be cannibalised for your needs. It explains every setting in turn and should be similar to what you see in Hi-Toro.

My experiences: many years ago I was so upset with E-UAE's performance on my G4 Quicksilver/867Mhz that I cut my losses and acquired a real A1200. Later on when I had a better Mac (iMac G5/2Ghz) things were much better. Sorry, dude
Old 25 February 2009, 11:24   #22
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattus View Post
As far as I know, you can use WinUAE config files with Hi-Toro/E-UAE, it will tell you if some features are not supported (or just ignore them like JIT). Maybe try to find one that is optimised for older computers for maximum speed...? Also try setting your Mac display to thousands of colours.

This guide details how to set up a config file for an A500 under WinUAE, which could be cannibalised for your needs. It explains every setting in turn and should be similar to what you see in Hi-Toro.

My experiences: many years ago I was so upset with E-UAE's performance on my G4 Quicksilver/867Mhz that I cut my losses and acquired a real A1200. Later on when I had a better Mac (iMac G5/2Ghz) things were much better. Sorry, dude
I know how you felt. I couldn't get it working at all, but when I eventually did get it to start emulating, it was very slow. I figured out it was the z3 fast ram, no idea why its like that though. BTW, I had to use an older version of e-uae to get it working on my g4.
Old 07 March 2009, 08:20   #23
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

I gotta add that E-UAE runs so much better on Macs with Intel CPUs. It positively flies on my modest (by today's standards) MacBook with a 2GHz Core 2 Duo and 2GB of RAM. I can even run it full speed in windowed mode which is something I wouldn't have dreamed of doing on my G4-based iBooks.
Old 17 April 2009, 08:41   #24
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

*EDIT* - Hmm, never mind...I said something silly

PZ.
Old 07 June 2009, 04:35   #25
frlane

Tried on a few

I have a 12" Powerboook G4, a PowerMac G4, a PowerMac G5, and an Intel MacBook Pro.

On each of these I have had good luck with E-UAE/Hi-Toro. In fact, I have had better luck on the Mac siude than the PC side. Some games do not run well on the G4s (Shadow Fighter), but most do OK.

The only thing I have had no luck with is CD32 emulation. The 'machine' turns on and the flying disk screen comes on, but when I put a CD in, nothing happens.

On the PC, this did work, but the speed was crap.

Anyone have luck with CD32 on Mac??

Old 08 June 2009, 23:29   #26
Truck

I've never tried, nor have I wanted to; but describe for me how you have the machine set up so it can read the cd and maybe we can debug further.

Old 09 June 2009, 18:53   #27
hit

winuae let you choose main and extended roms - which e-uae doesnt.
for cd32 emulation you need them both - maybe an entry in the .uaerc config file could fix this, not sure here.

Edit: .uaerc has an extended rom config line, dependng on the romfile names you have, try this:
kickstart_rom_file=cd32-kickstart.rom
kickstart_ext_rom_file=cd32-ext.Kickstart.rom
Old 10 June 2009, 01:26   #28
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

when i recently compiled e-uae on my ps3, i noticed that by default, the cd32 emulation setting was disabled during compile.

It may be that you need to compile it for Mac with CD32 emulation in mind, so it will use the CD drive as CD0: ?

Although, hit,i dunno where you got the idea it doesnt let you select extended roms? it's in the config as you say, and even appears as an option on hi-toro.
Old 10 June 2009, 21:54   #29
hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
Although, hit,i dunno where you got the idea it doesnt let you select extended roms? it's in the config as you say, and even appears as an option on hi-toro.
i was referring to e-uae.
Old 10 June 2009, 21:56   #30
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

I am also talking about e-uae hit... i hardly ever use winuae.

i run e-uae on both my Mac and on my PS3 (linux), and you can select extended roms in the config at least, even if not in the (crap) Linux GUI for e-uae. Since I rarely use the GUI for e-uae even on Linux myself, i dont know either-way on that one.... but generally you can do a lot more by writing your own config files anyway... and , as i said already, using e-uae & hi-toro (which is the topic here), you can even select them through the GUI.

so i still dont understand the statement;

Quote:
winuae let you choose main and extended roms - which e-uae doesnt.
because it simply isnt true!

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 10 June 2009 at 22:01.
Old 13 June 2009, 01:09   #31
Truck

As I also use both Hi-Toro on osX to create configs and then modify them when using on Linuxen, I can confirm that "main" and "extended" roms are supported in E-UAE.

Horace: Do you know if cd32 emulation require scsi support? As that is not working in osX, last I recall; Richard was working on it. There are discussions on the mailing list (which I recalled when I searched for anything on the mailing list about cd32 stuff.)

Old 13 June 2009, 15:24   #32
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck View Post
Horace: Do you know if cd32 emulation require scsi support? As that is not working in osX, last I recall; Richard was working on it. There are discussions on the mailing list (which I recalled when I searched for anything on the mailing list about cd32 stuff.)
now that you say that,i think that is correct.

if the extend rom works though, could you not just mount an HD as CD0: and map it to the CD/DVD drive? Its an ugly work-around, but it may work for most things.

looking in the source/readme/compiling.txt should settle this once and for all....

Quote:
Configuring
===========

The first step to compiling E-UAE is to generate a makefile suitable
for your intended target system. This is done by running the configure
script.

Run ./configure --help to see the list of options that the configure
script supports. Most options will automatically default to
appropriate values.

Here are a selection of the the supported options:

The config script for UAE supports a bunch of compile-time options for
selecting what features are built into UAE. Here's a selection:

--enable-cd32
Enable CD32 emulation. Requires SCSI emulation and AGA support be
enabled. Defaults to enabled if both these are enabled.
Quote:
Building the SCSI emulation
---------------------------

E-UAE's SCSI emulation may use libscg, the SCSI transport layer from
the cdrtools project (see http://cdrecord.berlios.de). Note, however,
due to a license change in the cdrtools project, only versions of
cdrtools up to 2.01.01a08 inclusive may be used.

If libscg is not available on your build system, download a recent
version of cdrecord and compile it. Then run the ./src/install_libscg
script in the E-UAE source archive to move the relevant files from
cdrecord to the E-UAE source directory.

If your system has the libscg headers and library installed in a
non-standard location, you can pass the --with-libscg-prefix option or
the --with-libscg-includedir and --with-libscg-libdir options to the
configure script to specify where these are installed.

On Linux systems, if libscg is not available, E-UAE tries to use a
Linux-specific SCSI emulation that is based on some ioctl() commands.
Old 13 June 2009, 23:23   #33
Truck

Yep. That would be our issue right there.

Basically the problem Richard had was: the library was there, he could see it, and he could use it. It was just returning 0 devices constantly. He was looking into it...

what probably needs to be worked on here is a full understanding of what needs to be done to get a proper scsi device listing under osX with libscg.

I wonder if looking into what needed to be done to make cdrecord work on osX...

But right now I'd just like to know Richard is ok, and then I'll ask how things are with the source and what he was working on.