English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 October 2012, 18:17   #1
Kitty

TinyLauncher Setup with WinUAE

Can someone please write a step by step idiots guide to setting up Tiny Launcher with WinUAE please.

I'm not Amiga files literate at all, I'm just a casual gamer and I'm sure there's other people on here that are possibly in the same boat as me.

I extracted it to System and got it to boot that's as far as I got, I couldn't get it to see any games and I don't really understand the correct way to setup the paths etc. I'm assuming startup sequence needs to be edited with a line somewhere, but a 'real simple step by step guide' would be very useful for the average gamer like myself.

Also I ran into a small annoyance with Tiny Launcher maybe it's because of the way I had it setup I'm not sure but before I boot it the icons look like this;

and after I exit out they look like this until I reboot winuae;

Many thanks for anyones help on this.

I use WinUAE 2.4.1 with Classic Workbench UAE A4000 Power.
Old 22 October 2012, 18:38   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I assume you have already read through this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61210 ?
Old 22 October 2012, 18:46   #3
Kitty

Yeah I have and didn't help much just confused me even more

There's brief instructions on setting up in that thread but nothing step by step and easy for a simpleton like myself

Ideally a preinstalled pack ready to drop into correct folders and maybe a small txt file included explaining what to edit/add in the startup sequence file would be 'an idiots guide' way of installing it.
Hence why I love Classic workbench so much it's very simple.
Old 22 October 2012, 18:51   #4
olesio

First you msut let us know how you have your OS installed. Because Tiny Launcher under WinUAE must be executed from hdf FileImage - not from directory mounted as Hard Disk. And if you want to use tooltype settings to read tooltypes from executed *.info files you have to be sure NewIcons application is executed in your S:startup-sequence or add something like that befrore loading OS to S:startup-sequence:
Code:
Run <>NIL: C:NewIcons
You can swith tooltype option by pressing T key. Paths to games/demos may be set by C key. WHDLoad games with *.slave are required or *.tl scripts for executing by yourself. I'm not too good to write total newbie quides. In my opinion usage of Tiny Launcher is really trivial. More information you will find under H key. Just remember my information about hdf file and sets more than 2 MB of Fast memory. Thats all. So practice a little bit and you should do what you want to do. And always remember to press F1 for each catefory if you change paths or added new games/demos to directories.
Old 23 October 2012, 10:45   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olesio View Post
First you msut let us know how you have your OS installed. Because Tiny Launcher under WinUAE must be executed from hdf FileImage - not from directory mounted as Hard Disk.
Technical or non-technical reason?
Old 24 October 2012, 19:23   #6
olesio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Technical or non-technical reason?
Gibs do not want to back to EAB forum and did not answer me at e-mail. But from my experience when I tried to launch TinyLauncher from HDD mounted as directory or under ClassicWB even when booting without Startup-Sequence I always got "Out of memory" error message and error code 20. Even setting memory amount to many, many MB (sometimes even 8 MB Fast and many Z3 Fast) I got the same error. The same memory amount with only hdf with following Startup-Sequence file launch TInyLauncher without any problem. I do not know why. And that fact is program must be started from hdf I figured it because when = as far as I remember - I launched TinyLauncher under my real Amiga 1200 with only 4 MB Elbox's extension even under launched ClassicWB Lite I haven't any problems. Anyway, the best way in my opinion to launch TinyLauncher udner WinUAE is prepare hdf with following Startup-Sequence (placing needed WHDLoad and other non standard commands in C, WHDLoad.key in L (if we have it), kickstarts in DEVS:Kicstarts, following files in LIBS: Commodities.library, Icon.library, IffParse.library, NewIcon.library and ofcourse WHDLoad.prefs if we want it. Now mount other disk(s) with games/demos as greater than DH0: devices. Missing commands like NoBorder we can find at Aminet. That is - in my opinion - really simple. Just basic Amiga knowledge. And ability to use some Windows filemanager and WinUAE with for example Classic WB to prepare some subidrectory with hdf content and Classic WB to copy data from these files to formated under ClassicWB hdf. About 8 MB free space on hdf should be enought for future files like TinyLauncher's config fils. But if you Tony know tested way to launch latest TinyLauncher under WinUAE and ClassicWB Lite without hdf and witout "Out of memory" error - please let us know
Code:
Assign >NIL: T: RAM:
Assign >NIL: ENV: RAM:

Assign ENV: Ram:
Assign T: Ram:
Echo ""
NoBorder
Cls

IF EXISTS S:TL_Startup
  Execute S:TL_Startup
EndIf

Run <>NIL: C:NewIcons

LAB LOADTL
Set >NIL: Reply `DH0:TINYLAUNCHER/TinyLauncher.exe`
IF $Reply not eq "5"
Skip LOADTL BACK
EndIf

UaeQuit
S:TL_Startup contain following (change paths to yours). These assings are used in *.tl files. Because TinyLauncher do not swith to game subdir when executing script, so required cd command with full path must be added.
Code:
assign >NIL: TLGAGA: DH1:AGA
assign >NIL: TLGECS: DH1:!ECS
Sorry for my bad English.
Old 27 December 2018, 13:16   #7
Jacques

Hello there,
it's not a TinyLauncher against WinUAE question, but the one regarding using TinyLauncher 2.x on MorphOS under E-UAE.
Whatever I try setting-wise in .uaerc, TinyLauncher 2.1 or 2.2b always leads to Guru when entering games/demos list or running scanning (F1) under E-UAE emulated Amiga. While the same partition-data works flawlessly under real Amiga or WinUAE.

On the other hand, TinyLauncher 3.x works just fine, but it doesn't suit me menu-wise, so I'd like to use older version under E-UAE.