Old 16 November 2018, 11:19   #1
thyslo

Amiga window refreshing question

Hi Amiga coders!

I've run into the following situation. My program has two windows:
- A GadTools window containing some buttons etc
- A TextWindow that displays text using Intuition functions

Both windows are of type SimpleRefresh.

Now the problem: The GadTools window can open an ASL request. If the user moves the ASL request over the windows the following happens:

1) The part of the GadTools window that was overlapped by the request is refreshed automatically. I don't understand why, because my GT_BeginRefresh / GT_EndRefresh are not done yet, because the request is open and blocks the program so that the refresh messages can't be received while the request is open.

2) The part of the TextWindow which was overlapped by the request is damaged as long as the request is open. This doesn’t look nice.

How is problem 2) usually avoided in Amiga programs? Would the only solution be to use a SmartRefresh window for the TextWindow?
Old 17 November 2018, 08:57   #2
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyslo View Post
1) The part of the GadTools window that was overlapped by the request is refreshed automatically. I don't understand why, because my GT_BeginRefresh / GT_EndRefresh are not done yet, because the request is open and blocks the program so that the refresh messages can't be received while the request is open.
Intuition automatically refreshes all known elements. That is the window borders and gadgets linked to the Window->FirstGadget list.

Quote:
How is problem 2) usually avoided in Amiga programs?
There are several methods:

- make the window SMART_REFRESH.
- use ASLFR_Window and ASLFR_IntuiMsgFunc to keep your window alive.
- instead of drawing yourself attach all the text to a gadget and let Intuition do the refreshing.
- place the windows and requester so that the user does not need to move it around.
Old 17 November 2018, 09:47   #3
thyslo

Thank you, Thomas, that clears it!

So I'll look into the methods you mentioned an look, what fits best to the program. At first look it seems compelling to simply use a SMART_REFRESH window:-)