English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 07 September 2020, 20:14   #1
Solo Kazuki

Random WHDLoad loading

Lastly i get again real hardware. It's A1200 with 8MB FastRAM. As hard disk SD card with SD2IDE converter is used. I'm using 32GB SD card so scsi.device patch is used. Also as file system SFS is used with max transfer 1fe00. Partition with games have 10GB.

Problem is WHDLoad sometimes load games ok, sometimes ends with black screen and only reset is possible. It's random and i don't know what is faulty.
It's high chance to run ok just after reset, and every next game run after another has bigger chance to end with black screen. I even test memory for some errors but everything's ok. Other games (i.e. not using WHDLoad) works without problem.

What can be done to made WHDLoad working ok?
Old 07 September 2020, 20:21   #2
lilwshu

I had this issue using an interlaced Workbench and kickstart 3.0, is your setup the same?
Old 07 September 2020, 20:28   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

pirated whdload key somewhere?
special device like network card or other that could trigger interrupts?
how does it fare without startup sequence?
Old 07 September 2020, 20:53   #4
Solo Kazuki

@lilwshu
Yes, i have hi-res interlaced screen mode. After changing to not interlaced everything is working fine.
Is there possibility to make it works with interlaced screen mode.
What kind of FastRAM card You have?

@JOTD
Excuse me, but i have valid bought key. So i don't need to use pirated key and have none of them. Problem with pirated keys were found by myself over 20 years ago before I register for key.

I have not network card.

Edit: It still happens even with no interlaced screen mode. But it's after few run and exit game, every time it's bigger chance to happened.

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 07 September 2020 at 21:35.
Old 07 September 2020, 21:28   #5
jotd
This cat is no more

Hey no offence. whdload pirated keys happen all the time. I think that Bert will have to look into this interlaced mode thing.
Old 07 September 2020, 21:39   #6
Radertified

How much chip RAM do you have after you quit each game? It sounds like an issue with garbage collection.

If you're able to get back to Workbench, maybe try running "avail flush" before running another game to see if that helps?
Old 07 September 2020, 22:07   #7
lilwshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
@lilwshu
Yes, i have hi-res interlaced screen mode. After changing to not interlaced everything is working fine.
Is there possibility to make it works with interlaced screen mode.
What kind of FastRAM card You have?.
I had the issue with an 8MB Amigakit card and with a 32MB Blizzard 1230. The fix was to upgrade to kickstart 3.1 or newer.
Old 07 September 2020, 23:11   #8
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
How much chip RAM do you have after you quit each game? It sounds like an issue with garbage collection.

If you're able to get back to Workbench, maybe try running "avail flush" before running another game to see if that helps?
It happens even with fresh reboot, so i don't think so. Also I have always memory back at least almost all of used when game wasn't suspend.
Old 07 September 2020, 23:19   #9
Wepl

@Solo Kazuki
Do you also have Kickstart 3.0?
If it is a problem with 3.0 and Interlace it could maybe reproduced in WinUAE. This would make it easier to debug it.
Please open an issue in the bugtracker (http://mantis.whdload.de/) for this.
Old 08 September 2020, 00:52   #10
Solo Kazuki

Yes, i have KS3.0. And indeed on WinUAE with similar config (KS3.0 8MB FastRAM) it also happens.

Edit: Here is mantis bugreport. Some mistake happens because i'm tired...
Old 08 September 2020, 01:15   #11
Radertified

I've confirmed this in WinUAE.

On my regular Kickstart 3.1 A1200 config, it works fine. All resolutions, both interlaced and non-interlaced.

As soon as I set the same config to Kickstart 3.0, go into any interlaced mode and start a slave, it shows the information window about the slave and then sits at a black screen. You can't quit out of WHDLoad with the quit key, like WHDLoad hasn't initialized yet (ie. before the quit key code is executed).

Kickstart 3.0 non-interlaced works fine in all situations. This is strictly Kickstart 3.0 interlaced. I haven't tested any lower Kickstarts.

Also worth noting is this is on a Workbench 3.1 setup. I haven't tested Workbench 3.0.
Old 08 September 2020, 07:36   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

time to file a whdload mantis bugreport
Old 16 September 2020, 13:51   #13
Solo Kazuki

Just for explanation an closing topic. Thanks to Wepl current WHDLoad beta version is working without mentioned problems. Thread may be closed.
Old 16 September 2020, 14:15   #14
str0m

Interesting. I get a black screen loads of times with WHDLoad on my CD32 and I have that set in Hi res laced. I will try in non interlaced tonight and hopefully that fixes it for me until the next release

EDIT: Google suggests the CD32 is 3.1 so maybe not the cause of my issues or still related. I will test tonight and post back.

thanks all
Old 16 September 2020, 21:25   #15
str0m

No, must be different issue for me. Black screen with loads despite latest whdload. No key file i can find. Some games I know work fine with the tf330 ie Roland off a compilation cd, oh well, will research more