English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 03 January 2009, 00:28   #41
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
@prowler
We had a discussion about it some time ago, but I can't find the thread now
Hey TCD,
I think I found it! Is it this one? :
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=38958
Old 03 January 2009, 00:34   #42
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hey TCD,
I think I found it! Is it this one? :
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=38958
Yup, it's the one As you can see I didn't noticed it until I compared it with my PS2 alike joypad and sadly I have to say it's obvious once you try it If you really can fix it please let me know, because playing with the Competition Pro and no lags would be really great for me
Old 03 January 2009, 00:40   #43
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yup, it's the one As you can see I didn't noticed it until I compared it with my PS2 alike joypad and sadly I have to say it's obvious once you try it If you really can fix it please let me know, because playing with the Competition Pro and no lags would be really great for me
Well, I'll give it my best shot, mate! But if the problem is caused by a limitation of the cheap USB chip they've used, the solution is unlikely to be trivial.
Old 03 January 2009, 01:56   #44
pubzombie

laggy joystick and chaos

Yo dudes,
i only get chance to us my comp pro and game comilation on my girlfriends laptop when she isnt at work or not using it at home. i am busy going through my desk and messy office looking for my copy of windowsXP to set up an install for it. it is laggy on other games on vista but cant say for windows 2000 yet. I know there is a STELLA ADAPTER for 8pin to USB but is there a way of using usb to 8pin on my miggy.
also if anybody can help me get Chaos running on my 1200 using adf-easy tranfer i will be gratefull as i am not sure but think it needs to be run from work bench or using whdload - both of which i dont know how to use yet.
cheers guys
Old 05 January 2009, 20:21   #45
prowler
Global Moderator

When I got home today my Speedlink Amiga Classix Diamond Editon + Competition Pro USB Joystick had arrived!

I must say that the stick is heavier than I thought it would be and has the feel of quality about it. How it performs remains to be seen.

I'll make some time in the next couple of days to try it out. Can anyone suggest the best game to try it out with? (I'm looking particularly for lag in the response.)

Cheers,

prowler
Old 05 January 2009, 20:28   #46
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Any shump should do You can try Turrican, Project-X or something like that. You should also try it with another joypad to compare it (hope you have another USB pad ).
Old 05 January 2009, 20:34   #47
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Any shump should do You can try Turrican, Project-X or something like that. You should also try it with another joypad to compare it (hope you have another USB pad ).
Thanks, TCD.

Yep, I have a generic USB pad (looks much like a PS2 controller...)
Will that do?
Old 05 January 2009, 20:48   #48
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yup, that will do nicely Now have a look for yourself
Old 05 January 2009, 23:16   #49
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I'll make some time in the next couple of days to try it out. Can anyone suggest the best game to try it out with? (I'm looking particularly for lag in the response.)

Cheers,

prowler
Try a game which needs exact controls. Turrican 1 is a good example, maybe some other scrolling platformer.
Old 05 January 2009, 23:31   #50
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Try a game which needs exact controls. Turrican 1 is a good example, maybe some other scrolling platformer.
Thanks, Retro.

I'll try to come up with some useful info.
Old 06 January 2009, 01:33   #51
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
amiga and booze fits like a glove indeed anyways, if u wants to get your amiga1200 ready for whdload games, the peeps here have told u mostly what u really need
So to sum it up
Hardware for a1200:
1.Get a harddrive or one of those nice and silent flashadapters for your internal ide port , u should take note though that there is a gb limit, so if it was me, i would probly get a flashy and a 2gig card for it, then u can allways update your card when u get comfortable with the "how to" break that limit if u need to remember this is amiga so there really are no limits only imagination
2.Yes u need the pcmcia adapter asap for easy transfer of your files from/to your pc, this really is a must have and its cheap , btw before people are rambling on about how u can probly use this as a harddrive aswell, since u are only starting to get back to your roots, forget it, u use this adapter and the extra flashycard u stuff into it for one thing only "moving files with ease"

these are must haves, that wasn't too bad was it ?
But now u need to make a choice, as u will probly want to relive the glory days of a few amiga games and demos and so on, u must keep in mind that many of those games and stuff we remember is NOT happy with a1200's aga chipset, so unless u want only want to use your a1200 for writing files back to disks to use in an a500, u need to expand your a1200 a little further and this is where it can get a little tricky

For that u should get either
a. a memory expansion of at least 4megs (in my opinion not really an option)
b. get an accelerator card to stuff into that trapdoor, i would say if gaming is what u want and running mostly old stuff a 030 with 50mhz and all the ram u can get your hands on (isn't it 32mb that's the limit on those ?) but 16megs is probly enough right ?
c. or if u wish to go the whole ten yards get yourself a 060 card with as much ram as possible (64megs), simply bcoz if u go for 060 u will most certainly be enjoying those shiny new demo's released each year and memory should not be an issue if u allready spend those hardearned cash on a 060 card. yea they are pricey suckers

Problem is though which ever way u choose to expand into that trapdoor of yours, u probly need to look around the net and hope to get lucky, coz, at least here in denmark, amiga expansions arent easy to digg up, but maybe someone out here can help.
Hope this helps u out m8 and welcome back to the amazing world of amiga
oh and sorry for those weird spells im from denmark and english isnt really much my thing

Yikes I allmost forgot, if u are setting up your amiga on a tv set, u should check if u have a RGB scart port, if so, u better grab one of those RGB scartcables on amigakit for razor sharp image (no i didnt mention indivision on purpose)

Hi again only me
regarding extralife's point a and b. with point a he considers at least a 4meg memory expansion. what is the maximum i can go to and what type/size is best for gaming? point b, i will be going with an 030, again what size ram and make would you guys consider best.
thanx for being so helpful i will get there in the end#pz
Old 06 January 2009, 01:46   #52
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi PZ,

extralife really said all you need to know in his reply above.

The maximum amount of RAM you can add using conventional memory expansion is 8MB.

A far better choice would be to add an '030 accelerator card which would allow you to add 32MB maximum, but 16MB is all that you should need.

Manufacturer recommendation is inappropriate here. I would just grab anything you can get.
Old 06 January 2009, 07:53   #53
Graham Humphrey

It is worth remembering though that if you opted for a plain memory expansion if you add more than 4MB it will conflict with the PCMCIA port. No such problems with accelerators however.
Old 06 January 2009, 09:55   #54
blade002
Zone Friend

Just thought i would add that "its great to have you on-board here PubZombie!!" The Amiga is where its at!!
Old 06 January 2009, 10:16   #55
jmmijo

Hello and welcome, just watch out for Fred
Old 07 January 2009, 01:17   #56
pubzombie

thanx for the welcomes dudes. Its a learning curve but its fun. got some classic games turning up from ebay any day then goin to call amigakit and start spending my dosh
cheers
Old 09 January 2009, 23:33   #57
prowler
Global Moderator

This evening, I've just had time to give my new Competition Pro USB joystick a preliminary test - my first experience with a joystick controller since the days of the Atari VCS.

Connecting it to a spare USB port on my PC, I tested the function of the stick and buttons with the Control Panel -> Printers and Other Hardware -> Game Controllers -> Properties -> Test menu.

At first, the response of the stick and buttons seemed to be quite satisfactory, with all four buttons auto-fire enabled.

However, the moment I swapped the Competition Pro for a PC compatible USB control pad, I could clearly see the problem.

These USB pads are nothing special. I bought two of them quite cheaply about six months ago. They look much like a PS2 controller, but without the analog sticks.

Although this was also the first time I have used one of these, it was immediately apparent that their response is far superior to that of the Competition Pro USB.

Swapping back to the Competition Pro, it became evident that there is some discernible lag between actuating the microswitches by pressing the buttons or moving the joystick and observing the on-screen response. And the auto-fire function is less rapid as a result.

It was good advice to have a spare controller with which to compare the new joystick, because the lag is quite subtle when tested in this way and I might not have noticed it otherwise. No doubt the effect will be more pronounced during gameplay.

Unfortunately, Turrican (the game recommended both by TCD and Retro above for testing this joystick) is not one of the games included in the Amiga Classic Diamond Edition collection, but I have found it readily available for download with a manual and Amiga cheats too!

I'm not too disappointed with the Competition Pro USB stick. I can't say yet whether I would prefer a joystick or pad for game playing. I guess, being ambidextrous, it will more likely be the pad.

For existing owners of Competition Pro USB joysticks who might be concerned about this problem but are otherwise quite happy with their purchase, I have two items of good news: (1) there is no need to buy another one just yet, as the "Second Edition" appears to be no better than the "First Edition", and (2) it might be possible to improve the response simply by using a cheap USB joypad to provide better components for the USB interface.

Last edited by prowler; 10 January 2009 at 00:48.
Old 10 January 2009, 01:24   #58
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

That are good news (well at least kind of ). I hope you find a solutiion to improve the response time for the CP USB and post it here somewhere Then I only need someone to modify my CP with your instructions
Old 10 January 2009, 02:21   #59
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
That are good news (well at least kind of ). I hope you find a solutiion to improve the response time for the CP USB and post it here somewhere Then I only need someone to modify my CP with your instructions
Hi TCD,

You'll have to get in the queue with Retro.

BTW, I shall be posting all follow-ups on this subject here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=41888

Old 11 January 2009, 23:26   #60
pubzombie

just tried the joystick in my GP2X cradle and tried MAME; terrible lag, must worse than on PC. shame these were great sticks,, let me know when or how you solve it
cheers
pz