English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 19 January 2008, 00:51   #1
mark_k

RESET without jumping into Kickstart?

Hi,

I know the normal software reset method is to (for example) load A0 appropriately (pointing to e.g. 2 or $FC0002 etc.), then do RESET / JMP (A0), where the RESET instruction is longword aligned. That's because memory probably goes away at reset; the JMP opcode is prefetched before reset occurs. (Chip memory disappears to be replaced by an image of the Kickstart ROM, and autoconfig fast memory goes away too. $C00000 memory probably remains accessible however.)

What I'm curious to know is... can something similar be done, but to remove the ROM overlay? In other words, can code execution continue after reset, even from chip RAM? Like this:
Code:
; Code in chip memory (not autoconfig fast RAM)
; (Disable interrupts first)
     LEA     ($BFE001).L,A0
     MOVE.B  (A0),D0
     BCLR.B  #0,D0 ;Clear OVL bit (will be clear anyway)
     BRA.W   .DoIt
     CNOP    0,4
.DoIt:
     RESET
     MOVE.B  D0,(A0)
     [Some more code here]
Will the code after the MOVE.B D0,(A0) execute? Or will the CPU try to prefetch the word after the MOVE.B before the overlay bit has been cleared, so the next word executed would be some random ROM word?

I'm guessing this isn't possible, since I seem to remember Dave Haynie having to do something funky with the instruction cache in the SetCPU source code...

-- M
Old 19 January 2008, 09:35   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is possible, Double Dragon 2 protection did it

Code:
0003ffd8 46fc 2700                MV2SR.W #$2700
0003ffdc 7003                     MOVE.L #$00000003,D0
0003ffde 4df9 96df f000           LEA.L $96dff000,A6
0003ffe4 4bf9 23bf e201           LEA.L $23bfe201,A5
0003ffea 49f9 45bf e001           LEA.L $45bfe001,A4
0003fff0 41f9 0090 0000           LEA.L $00900000,A0
0003fff6 43e8 0001                LEA.L (A0,$0001) == $00900001,A1
0003fffa 51d4                     SF .B (A4) == 0003fffc
0003fffc 4e70                     RESET.L
0003fffe 1a80                     MOVE.B D0,(A5)
00040000 4e71                     NOP.L
00040002 51d4                     SF .B (A4) == 00040004
00040004 3d7c 7fff 069a           MOVE.W #$7fff,(A6,$069a) == $96dff69a
btw, long word alignment is not needed, there is nothing in prefetch logic that cares about long alignment..
Old 23 January 2008, 22:16   #3
Photon

Nice, a disassembler that gives different binary when you assemble it again Not to mention generating sources that don't use the syntax in the CPU Programmer's manual (Referring to the moveq #3,d0 and reset instructions, respectively.)

Overall, that disassembly looks n.a.s.t.y.

Um, what is the purpose of executing code after reset? Either it resets or it doesnt? Explain please
Old 23 January 2008, 22:26   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Nice, a disassembler that gives different binary when you assemble it again Not to mention generating sources that don't use the syntax in the CPU Programmer's manual (Referring to the moveq #3,d0 and reset instructions, respectively.)

Overall, that disassembly looks n.a.s.t.y.

Um, what is the purpose of executing code after reset? Either it resets or it doesnt? Explain please
You can fix the disassembler first before I'll answer I guess
Sources are that way ->
Old 24 January 2008, 00:25   #5
Photon

Hm. I thought the disasm came from that cartridge thingy you emulate? Sorry, didn't think you coded it. Doesn't mean I'll retract my surly comments though, after all they are correct

If the disasm is open source, I can help you if I can use a nicer OOP language than cpp!
Old 24 January 2008, 00:36   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Hm. I thought the disasm came from that cartridge thingy you emulate? Sorry, didn't think you coded it. Doesn't mean I'll retract my surly comments though, after all they are correct

If the disasm is open source, I can help you if I can use a nicer OOP language than cpp!
No, it is UAE debugger's disassembler (no, I didn't write it) and it is a bit weird but I guess it has to be because it uses same m68k instruction meta data as 68k emulation code generator.. (if you want to see weird, try movem)

Quote:
I guess it was made to kill/confuse some hardware debuggers.
Old 24 January 2008, 01:56   #7
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
btw, long word alignment is not needed, there is nothing in prefetch logic that cares about long alignment..
Is that definitely the case for 32-bit CPUs running in 32-bit-wide memory? If so, I wonder why CBM made a point of saying the RESET opcode has to be longword-aligned?

-- M
Old 24 January 2008, 16:27   #8
meynaf
son of 68k

On some accelerator boards (e.g. Blizzard 1230-IV like mine), executing the reset instruction resets everything, cpu included. The instruction after the reset isn't even executed. Hence your code would be doomed on such a machine.

Btw that DD2 protection code is awful
(Commodore said : do not put anything in the upper bits of an address !!!)
Old 14 April 2020, 07:53   #9
mr.spiv

Mind some necromancy here.. I tried reset codes for fun last night and just did not get them working as I hoped for on my A3000 (with CS2 040). The intention was to keep the code in Chip RAM. If the code is in the RAM that does not disappear or get OVLed during the reset (beyond $80000) it works as expected but if located lower in the Chip RAM it seems the code after the reset instruction never got executed. Am I obviously missing something should-be-known-stupid here?
Old 14 April 2020, 09:27   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

ROM gets overlayed on top of chip RAM when reset is executed. You need to set CIA overlay bit immediately after the RESET. Because 68020+ pipeline is 3 words + 1 long word input buffer, it should be much easier to handle than with 68000 (which has only 2 word pipeline = RESET + CIA modification instruction must fit in 2 words)

It probably is best to prepare data and address registers for OVL setting, execute RESET, set CIA OVL bit (I think it is enough to set OVL data direction), then execute bra.s (or jmp (an)) to force pipeline refill because at least input buffer will now have long word loaded from ROM which you don't want to execute.
Old 14 April 2020, 10:09   #11
mr.spiv

Quote:
ROM gets overlayed on top of chip RAM when reset is executed. You need to set CIA overlay bit immediately after the RESET. Because 68020+ pipeline is 3 words + 1 long word input buffer, it should be much easier to handle than with 68000 (which has only 2 word pipeline = RESET + CIA modification instruction must fit in 2 words)

It probably is best to prepare data and address registers for OVL setting, execute RESET, set CIA OVL bit (I think it is enough to set OVL data direction), then execute bra.s (or jmp (an)) to force pipeline refill because at least input buffer will now have long word loaded from ROM which you don't want to execute.
This is what I did more or less.. Also setting data direction seemed to be enough to "clear" OVL and swap RAM in. My code is basically:
Code:
    reset
    move.b  d0,(a5)    ; D0=3, A5=$bfe201
    jmp     (a4)       ; A4 points to a code 4k further in Chip RAM
Old 14 April 2020, 11:23   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does it work if your JMP jumps to RAM that does not disappear? (=confirms that CPU does not immediately jump somewhere unknown, at least immediately)

Do you see color bars if you do something like loop: move.w (a0),(a1); bra.s loop) after the reset-instruction, A0=dff006 and A1=dff180?

Make sure CPU instruction cache is enabled.

It also could be some accelerator board side-effect, for example if board has maprom support, it requires some logic to handle also overlay. Perhaps it is only reset when board detects hardware reset.
Old 14 April 2020, 12:41   #13
Thomas Richter

All of this cannot really work on a 040. Note that the 040 *requires* a running MMU, and that the RAM the MMU tables are located in may go away on a reset if it is autoconfig-RAM. Thus, at least you should also ensure that the MMU is either disabled (mmu.library WithoutMMU()) or ensure that the MMU tables are in chip-mem as well in a location without ROM overlay (you can create a custom MMU table with the library, and ensure by the memory allocation bits that it is in chip). You also could try that the reset, and CIA modification and jmp are in a a cache-line, i.e. aligned to a 16-byte boundary. One way or another, this type of stunt requires a bit more care on the higher processors, and it is in general advisable to rely on the os function ColdReboot() (or the patches installed therein) to do the right thing for you.
Old 14 April 2020, 13:38   #14
mr.spiv

Quote:
Does it work if your JMP jumps to RAM that does not disappear? (=confirms that CPU does not immediately jump somewhere unknown, at least immediately)

Do you see color bars if you do something like loop: move.w (a0),(a1); bra.s loop) after the reset-instruction, A0=dff006 and A1=dff180?

Make sure CPU instruction cache is enabled.

It also could be some accelerator board side-effect, for example if board has maprom support, it requires some logic to handle also overlay. Perhaps it is only reset when board detects hardware reset.
I went through quite a few iterations (with visual stimulus and/or dumping ROM & RAM from the same memory locations). I get e.g. this working when reset+OVL+JMP is in RAM that does not disappear (e.g. $80000 in my case) and the code where I jump is in RAM that did disappear but got put back with OVL clearing (e.g. in $71000 in my case) - which was expected. Also tried with and without CPU caches. Alignment was also taken care of. MMU I did not touch, since I have zero experience with 68-line MMUs but I did try AFAIR with and without mapped ROMs. I probably need to redo the maprom stuff.

Last edited by mr.spiv; 14 April 2020 at 13:51.
Old 14 April 2020, 16:41   #15
mr.spiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
All of this cannot really work on a 040. Note that the 040 *requires* a running MMU, and that the RAM the MMU tables are located in may go away on a reset if it is autoconfig-RAM. Thus, at least you should also ensure that the MMU is either disabled (mmu.library WithoutMMU()) or ensure that the MMU tables are in chip-mem as well in a location without ROM overlay (you can create a custom MMU table with the library, and ensure by the memory allocation bits that it is in chip). You also could try that the reset, and CIA modification and jmp are in a a cache-line, i.e. aligned to a 16-byte boundary. One way or another, this type of stunt requires a bit more care on the higher processors, and it is in general advisable to rely on the os function ColdReboot() (or the patches installed therein) to do the right thing for you.
I see. Thanks for the insight. Cache line alignment I already had. I'll have a look at toying with MMU.