English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 25 May 2017, 18:42   #1
Nightfox

Evil grin Can you damage your Amiga with your code?

What a weird/wonderful question but this popped into my mind the other day... is there any way your code could cause any damage to the Amiga.. by stressing the chips out with illegal values or damaging the peripherals like the disk drive by forcing it to perform crazy stunts? #askingforafriend
Old 25 May 2017, 18:56   #2
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
What a weird/wonderful question but this popped into my mind the other day... is there any way your code could cause any damage to the Amiga.. by stressing the chips out with illegal values or damaging the peripherals like the disk drive by forcing it to perform crazy stunts? #askingforafriend
The "no click" utilities that stop empty disk drives clicking work by stepping the head beyond the legal range. Most drives will simply refuse such a request, and thus the normal click is silenced. I seem to remember reading that some early drives weren't smart enough to do that, and could be damaged by such utilities.
Old 25 May 2017, 19:02   #3
BrooksterMax

A wonderful question, love to know if something can be done. Would not try on my real hardware

On iOS there was some recent issue if you set an iPhone date to something like 1974 or similar it would brick the phone.
Old 25 May 2017, 19:14   #4
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Wasn't there a demo that played a tune using the drives crunching/grinding? Can't imagine that was too healthy for the hardware.
Old 25 May 2017, 19:46   #5
NorthWay

You can probably seriously disalign your floppy drives or simulate many years of use in a real short time. Which probably renders it broken.
Then you can modify the display settings to something that will probably fry your CRT. Modern displays should reject out-of-spec settings.

Last edited by NorthWay; 25 May 2017 at 19:46. Reason: typo
Old 25 May 2017, 20:51   #6
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Don't do the [ Show youtube player ] on your disk drives or you will sooner or later destroy your disk drives.
Old 25 May 2017, 21:06   #7
Leffmann

Not sure what kind of flash memory is inside the CD32 NVRAM, but you could probably wear the cells out far faster than regular use does, by rewriting the whole memory repeatedly in a tight loop.
Old 25 May 2017, 23:01   #8
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
Wasn't there a demo that played a tune using the drives crunching/grinding? Can't imagine that was too healthy for the hardware.
The Gaddafi virus
Old 25 May 2017, 23:08   #9
demolition
Unregistered User

I once experienced on my 500+ a bug which caused the floppy drive head to move past the last track (while making some very nasty sounds) so far that it was not able to pull it back by itself. I had to take the top off and push it back manually so it could grab hold of the head again. Although the fix was simple, it did require physical intervention so I'd say it qualified as physical damage.
Old 26 May 2017, 00:21   #10
roondar

I'm fairly sure you could probably manage to fry the CIA's with improper programming if you really wanted, though I don't quite know how.

The rest of the custom chips should be safe to screw with. If the OS counts, you could always accidentally corrupt data on drives (including harddrives), or seeking rapidly to different positions on a CD-ROM over and over again (which wears it out), etc.

But I consider these things to be edge cases - ordinary use should not damage your computer.
Old 26 May 2017, 20:22   #11
Nightfox

My biggest fear is improper writing to beamcon which may end up breaking my beloved commodore 1084S
Old 26 May 2017, 21:02   #12
jimbob

Anyone know how the software switch for the audio filter works, and is it different on different models?

Reason being, whilst running the Sanity Arte demo on an A1200, I pressed and held the right mouse button. Clicking it is supposed to toggle the audio filter. But holding causes the music to freeze, after a short while of holding it, my power supply emmited a big spark and then whined like crazy.

Luckily both A1200 and PSU were ok but it was a bit of a fright. Is it possible that rapidly toggling the filter or continuously signalling to switch could damage the PSU?
Old 26 May 2017, 21:09   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

There is no known ways to damage the hardware, except already mentioned external hardware that does not have any "intelligence" (floppy drive, CRT display) and probably CD32 NVRAM too.
Old 26 May 2017, 21:13   #14
Nightfox

I think what jimbob just talked about seems like evidence something can indeed be damaged but who knows
Old 26 May 2017, 21:18   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I don't think so. Both CIA and Paula IO ports are designed to not get damaged even if pin is externally driven to gnd and port is set to output mode and high level (or vice versa).