English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 January 2004, 20:13   #1
P-J

AmigaOne

Just 'feeling out the board' (not in that way), but is anyone else here interested or tempted by the AmigaOne?

OS4 is due sometime in the near future, and I'm tempted to buy one of these things.

Anyone else interested in talking about it?

(Please, no thread crappers spouting 'amiga is dead' or anything like that...)
Old 18 January 2004, 21:18   #2
Amiga1992

Amiga is dead!!!

Now severin already has one, so you could of ask him stuff.. And Korodny is a OS4 tester as far as I know.

So we do have people deep into AmigaOne. I am not one of them, though the machine seems interesting, and I like using rev 4 of amigaOS, if I was to buy one of these Amiga compatible boards I would rather get a Pegasos. Since everybody knows that I don't give a shit about Amiga Inc. I can make this comment: I hope OS4 gets hacked soon so it can be used in Pegasos boards. I think this little fight hurts the scene a lot.
Old 19 January 2004, 01:41   #3
RetroMan

If the AOne would be the same price as the Pegasos, I would definitely buy it But I would not buy a Pegasos, because I´m really not interested in MorphOS ....

If I ever want to run AmigaOS 4 I would buy a Cyberstorm PPC Board for my A4000
Old 19 January 2004, 01:56   #4
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Not me,

I like the old games on original hardware so that kills amigaone and OS4 for me.
Old 19 January 2004, 02:21   #5
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Not me,

I like the old games on original hardware so that kills amigaone and OS4 for me.
You can do far more on your Mac/PC/Linux box than any Amiga OS box. ther's just more and better choices on these platforms, generally and specifically speaking.
Nothing to do with he OS.
It's the support.
3rd party support is pitiful. I want superb, professional, top quality 3rd party and in house programs if I'm gonna spend a grand on a computer. Star fucking Office ain't cutting it. It does not inspire confidence.
There's only a few killer OS 4 apps in the works.
Energy and top angineers are geared towrds business that's viable , meaning Windows/Mac/Linux platforms.
But the suckers and fanatics will keep living in dream land and shell out big bucks an the junk.
Old 19 January 2004, 08:34   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Star fucking Office ain't cutting it. It does not inspire confidence.
Well, in my PC, I have been using it for more than two years now, without problems. It inspires much more confidence than using Microsoft spy/spam/virus/shitware.
Old 19 January 2004, 09:54   #7
fiath

I agree with Akira on Star/Open Office, while not yet an MS Office killer has certainly got a lot going for it. It does most things people want from a Office suite IMO.

I didn't know it was on A1 though.
Old 19 January 2004, 10:13   #8
th4t1guy

I could only get Star Office working for regular "plain jane" documents. Once something fancy was included, like pictures, tables, etc., I had to goto M$ office to get it working.

However, when I think of the AmigaOne, I don't see it as a replacement system. I see it as a machine that compliments personality. Right now, the only thing the AmigaOne has going for it is OS4, which will hopefully live up to the hype. What I'm worried about is that OS4 will not have a free developement package. Without one, I don't see OS4 going very far. For example, BeOS was an excellent OS, yet (when I used it anyways) every single piece of software was some form of crippleware. It was distressing to download 20 programs and find that 85% of the authors wanted $20 or more for you to use their program which was free on every other OS. Now look at it. BeOS is practically dead (I know it's not really dead, but it's not what it used to be). Nobody is going to pay for software for a brand new OS.
Old 19 January 2004, 10:41   #9
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke
OS 4.0 will include the Amiga OS4 SDK, which includes two different GCC versions (2.x and 3.x) and various docs and tools. So you can start programming right away when you get it. The OS4 pre-release version will also ship in a few weeks, which includes the SDK as well (all current AmigaOne can get the Beta).
Old 19 January 2004, 12:09   #10
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Well, in my PC, I have been using it for more than two years now, without problems. It inspires much more confidence than using Microsoft spy/spam/virus/shitware.
I'm speaking from experience, too, and I find that Star Office stinks. if you rememeber, I ran a busy medical office in Manhattan for 3 years ontil we closed in March due to massive intenal "ego" problems amoung the docs.
When Windows 97 was not going to cut it (we used very hi tech imaging systems requiring things and processes MS office 97 could not handle), one doc suggested saving a few thousand bucks and going for Star office.
It stunk. Even for lesser tasks, such as formatting transcription reports and the like. It sucked.
Sucked
Sucked.
We purchased Office XP, for both the PC and Mac, and it is one of the best programs I have ever used. And I HATE M$.
Anyway, what I say above is irrelevant.
When no major software house will port or publish to a OS...that indicates to me, in a serious tone, that it is not taken seriously, and will not inspire confidence.
Amiga One can't play the onderful games of old, as far as I know.
it's fans jump around because some cruddy 5 year old PeeCee/Mac game will be ported to it.
It may have a few superb imaging/audio mixing and Toast whatever programs being written for it, and thats cool. Buy an Amiga One for that.
But for the rest who buy it..it seems to me a pitiful desperate grasp at the bygone days.
And that's the truth.
Like I say, fanatics SUCK.
Zealots SUCK.
Old 19 January 2004, 13:55   #11
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
ok, there's lots happening that would make you lot happier, but I can't tell you about it

But I can tell you some stuff: Cloanto are doing an os4 version of amiga forever for you die hard gamers as well as a free version of ppaint 7.1 for os4.

I was talking to Fleecy a about a week ago and he said the pre-release OS4 CD has been made and is being tested now

@Retroman
Don't go out and by a CS PPC just yet.

@P-J
email me if you have any specific question you want answered

@faith
star/Open Office isn't on OS4, but that doesn't stop you using the Linux version on a dual boot system...

Funny how when certain people get involved a thread about whether or not to buy an A1/OS4 it turns into a rant about how crap a piece of software is that doesn't even run on OS4...
Old 19 January 2004, 15:35   #12
P-J

Quote:
Nothing to do with he OS.
It's the support.
3rd party support is pitiful. I want superb, professional, top quality 3rd party and in house programs if I'm gonna spend a grand on a computer. Star fucking Office ain't cutting it. It does not inspire confidence.
There's only a few killer OS 4 apps in the works.
Energy and top angineers are geared towrds business that's viable , meaning Windows/Mac/Linux platforms.
But the suckers and fanatics will keep living in dream land and shell out big bucks an the junk.
Valid points, but not applicable to me at least. I have no reason to use an office package whatsoever so, well, I don't!

I'm more interested in programming for the machine and to help create a community, but to do that, I need all the little apps that I get used to in Windoze life. You know, IRC client, messenger program, that sort of thing...

Quote:
You can do far more on your Mac/PC/Linux box than any Amiga OS box. ther's just more and better choices on these platforms, generally and specifically speaking.
Yes, but as I constantly find out, that those things which constitute 'far more' are useless to me anyway.

Essentially, I use my machine for web browsing, mail, IRC, instant messaging, playing games and coding.

As far as I'm aware I can do all of these on an AmigaOne. Since I haven't found a single game on the PC that's interested me in the last four or five years, then playing PD and old games (which I do now) will satisfy me. What's wrong with porting Quake a million times over? I love that game, and for me, porting it over is like having in new again. I don't think that makes me a zealot, possibly because I'm not one.

I haven't coded games for years, since the modern audience are only interested in your game if it beats last years games by six million megapixels or whatever crap constitutes 'a good game' these days. The (free) audience isn't there for me in the Winblows market-- I like programming the sort of games that I like. Thankfully the sort of games that I like don't constitute having a twenty-fold team of programmers and artists in order to get the job done. I see the possibility of the AmigaOne to be a vehicle for what I want to do. The type of people that use it are the type of people i'd like to code for, and vice versa.

Last edited by P-J; 19 January 2004 at 15:49.
Old 19 January 2004, 20:31   #13
Amiga1992

I agree with various points you make Fred, but this machine is not out to chase the PC/Mac mainstream, I think this aims for a niche that has nothing to do with this and is well catered for with the AmigaOne. At least that's what I think.

That's why I don't like the Pegasos/A1 stuff that is going o. An A1 is too expensive IMO, and a Pegasos offers more bang for the buck, and a nice new OS liek MorphOS
Old 19 January 2004, 21:51   #14
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
I agree with various points you make Fred, but this machine is not out to chase the PC/Mac mainstream, I think this aims for a niche that has nothing to do with this and is well catered for with the AmigaOne. At least that's what I think.

That's why I don't like the Pegasos/A1 stuff that is going o. An A1 is too expensive IMO, and a Pegasos offers more bang for the buck, and a nice new OS liek MorphOS
I agree. You are reasonable. I would like to do more research on Pegasos. What exactly is it? What does it have to do with MorphOS?
Is that the OS that tries to copy OS X's look?
Old 19 January 2004, 22:55   #15
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Why not try OpenOffice? Cross platform and completely free.
Old 19 January 2004, 23:07   #16
Severin

Quote:
Basically the hardware of both machines is very similar, the Pegasos cost slightly more for components because of the april stuff.

Think how much it would cost if the A1 didn't exist...
Old 19 January 2004, 23:23   #17
Severin

Quote:
I agree. You are reasonable. I would like to do more research on Pegasos. What exactly is it? What does it have to do with MorphOS?
Is that the OS that tries to copy OS X's look?
MorphOS actually tries to copy AmigaOS 3.9, it is supposed to run classic amiga software, though I've never seen one, it will not and never will legally run OS4 or OS4 apps. according to rumours there are 600 to 700 Pegasos boards that have been 'sold' (although a lot of those were given away to get people developing for MorphOS). The Pegasos II was annouced as ready for sale a while ago, but I've not heard of anyone who's actually got one yet.

At a rough (though slightly informed) guess around 2200 to 2500 A1's have been sold...

Take your pick of machine, but be careful if you go for a Peg, atm it would be best to go and hand over the cash only when the hardware is in your sticky mitts...

@Frederic
check out Amigaworld.org for A1 type stuff, and Morphos.com for Peg stuff, DON'T goto ann.lu, it's hostile territory, there's major flame wars and bullshitting going on there...
Old 20 January 2004, 02:34   #18
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Thanks Sev. I saw screenshots or soemthing here that showed something looking like OS X. Morph OS looks nice.
after browsing Ann.nu a few times earlier last year, I never go to Ann.nu.
I despse fanatics. I'd love to hack that board and delete the whole mess of losers there.
If I knew the first thing about hacking
Old 20 January 2004, 02:36   #19
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Ok sev look at this. Seems to be a custom version??? If that isn't an attempt to imitate the elegant beauty of Mac OSX..I don't know what imitation is!
Thanks again.

Old 20 January 2004, 10:53   #20
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Ok sev look at this. Seems to be a custom version??? If that isn't an attempt to imitate the elegant beauty of Mac OSX..I don't know what imitation is!
Thanks again.

Actually the KDE desktop environment for Linux has looked like that for years (just remove some of the panel bars from it, and use a blue skin).