English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 01 January 2024, 20:58   #1
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Anyone fancy trying to fix Synthia II?

Hi,

Happy New Year I have a challenge for the forum.

As an Amiga musician I’d like to use Synthia II on my 3.1 A1200. Note, this is a different program to Synthia v2.00 (which was the second version of *SYNTHIA 1*)

There are therefore 3 main Synthia’s:

- Synthia (1987?)
- Synthia Professional (1989) and
- Synthia II (1990)

Both Professional and II are very similar, and have algorithms that the original program doesn’t have (angle modulation, etc).

There are a number of versions available on grandis.nu but none of them really work:

https://ftp2.grandis.nu/turransearch...0&httplinks=on

Here are some details of my issues.

- Synthia II, any of the cracked versions, say “audio device in use” when I try to run them from my 3.1 workbench…and don’t load. However, these versions DO work on 1.3. I have no idea why my audio device would be in use from a fresh boot, and suspect that it’s a kickstart compatibility issue.
- Synthia II Demo works fine, but many features are disabled…I could live without saving if the other features were enabled, but copying and editing script files into the demo directory, and then selecting that option in the program, makes the system crash.
- Synthia Professional cracked, which apparently doesn’t like PAL (and says this error message even when I use an NTSC screenmode) is bundled with a “fix gunship” patch that means the program does run, and I can play sound for about 5-10 seconds before it automatically quits.
- Synthia Professional Uncracked requires the original disk to run, lol.

So I figured, as some of the tinkerers here like a challenge, I’d ask you to check it out and get this program (either Synthia Professional or II) running on 3.1 for the enjoyment of the community

No worries if not, btw! Thanks, Paulee.
Old 01 January 2024, 22:14   #2
mark_k

With Synthia II, try running a program that uses audio.device, then quitting that program before launching Synthia II.

I seem to remember reading that in later Kickstart versions audio.device is only initialised when a program opens it.

The Synthia II code seems to be expecting audio.device to be in the Exec device list.
Old 02 January 2024, 06:25   #3
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
With Synthia II, try running a program that uses audio.device, then quitting that program before launching Synthia II.

I seem to remember reading that in later Kickstart versions audio.device is only initialised when a program opens it.

The Synthia II code seems to be expecting audio.device to be in the Exec device list.
That’s very clever! I’ll give it a go
Old 02 January 2024, 14:44   #4
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:

So I ran sonix and then closed it, and Synthia II loaded straight up! Thanks!
Old 02 January 2024, 15:55   #5
jotd
This cat is no more

and of course it's very easy to code a small program that opens audio device, close it (should it do that?) and quits. Put that in a script before running your program and that's it.

Maybe run https://aminet.net/package/mus/play/playOGG with a small .ogg file first would work too.
Old 02 January 2024, 16:37   #6
mark_k

Writing a tiny program to do FindResident() then InitResident() for audio.device might work too.
Old 02 January 2024, 20:48   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Attached OpenAudio

In the zone is OpenAudio, will simply open audio.device, a few bytes long, could easily be changed to a parameter util to open any device not yet open.

Should work for what you need.
Old 03 January 2024, 09:00   #8
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
and of course it's very easy to code a small program that opens audio device, close it (should it do that?) and quits. Put that in a script before running your program and that's it.

Maybe run https://aminet.net/package/mus/play/playOGG with a small .ogg file first would work too.
Thanks JOTD! The program runs with a little glitch, the little square radio buttons don’t stay highlighted (all get unchecked, which is impossible), but as long as one remembers what they clicked on, it’s ok. Made a cool additive/Waveshaping sound in my first sesh

While I have your attention. I was wondering if there was any possibility of using WHDLOAD for some vintage audio applications. Namely, Activision’s music studio from 1986 is only happy running from floppy, sometimes with graphical errors on a 3.1 machine, sometimes not.

Additionally, there’s an early version of Soundtracker (v1 or v2) from Jungle Command which is unique in that it’s commands let you turn on and off Paula’s channel modulation per step. But it only runs on Kick 1.2 with 512K RAM (no more, lol) and it’d be cool to get it working. It’s file system is a bit clunky too, only loading files off any DFO disk labelled ST-01, so that one might be more work, to make usable.

Anyhow, thanks for all you guys do for the community
Old 03 January 2024, 09:00   #9
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
In the zone is OpenAudio, will simply open audio.device, a few bytes long, could easily be changed to a parameter util to open any device not yet open.

Should work for what you need.
Thanks. I used to be able to get into the Zone but no longer seem
To be able to, weird ¯\_(?)_/¯
Old 03 January 2024, 09:54   #10
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulee_Alex_Bow View Post
Zone works for me.. Did you somehow get your zone group membership removed?
Old 03 January 2024, 09:55   #11
jotd
This cat is no more

yes whdload+kick13 emulation could probably run those no sweat. can you share some installation disks?
Old 03 January 2024, 10:47   #12
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Sens a message to a moderator as that shouldn't be happening.
Old 03 January 2024, 10:48   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Please make sure that you are still a member of the Zone group: https://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=vb...ezone_faq_item
Old 03 January 2024, 14:17   #14
mark_k

Quote:
Couple of bug reports:

- Should you fill in any fields of the IoRequest structure before calling OpenDevice()? Like LN_TYPE, create a MessagePort first etc.?

- You should close it before exiting and free the IORequest memory.

I've uploaded an alternative tool that I just wrote. That has a different approach: if audio.device is not in the Exec device list it calls InitResident("audio.device"). InitAudio.lha in The Zone.
Old 03 January 2024, 21:24   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Couple of bug reports:

- Should you fill in any fields of the IoRequest structure before calling OpenDevice()? Like LN_TYPE, create a MessagePort first etc.?

- You should close it before exiting and free the IORequest memory.

I've uploaded an alternative tool that I just wrote. That has a different approach: if audio.device is not in the Exec device list it calls InitResident("audio.device"). InitAudio.lha in The Zone.
It allocates $44 bytes

And no, no need to do any of that other stuff, the mere act of opening a device, exec puts it into the list and its done.
Old 03 January 2024, 23:49   #16
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
yes whdload+kick13 emulation could probably run those no sweat. can you share some installation disks?
Hey, so here’s The Music Studio 1986:

https://ftp2.grandis.nu/turran/FTP/T...ctivision).zip

And then here’s v II of Soundtracker which had the special AM/FM commands but are very crash happy haha.

https://ftp.untergrund.net/users/hit...tracker_II.zip

Oh, also v1, which is quite similar:

https://ftp.untergrund.net/users/hit...dtracker_I.zip

They were also on this compilation disk:

http://ftp.amigascne.org/pub/amiga/U...oll1989-05.adf

From
Version III they dropped the cool AM/FM commands.
Old 04 January 2024, 12:06   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Hey, so here’s The Music Studio 1986:

https://ftp2.grandis.nu/turran/FTP/T...ctivision).zip

And then here’s v II of Soundtracker which had the special AM/FM commands but are very crash happy haha.

https://ftp.untergrund.net/users/hit...tracker_II.zip

Oh, also v1, which is quite similar:

https://ftp.untergrund.net/users/hit...dtracker_I.zip

They were also on this compilation disk:

http://ftp.amigascne.org/pub/amiga/U...oll1989-05.adf

From
Version III they dropped the cool AM/FM commands.
So have you gotten access to the zone yet?

Thread specifically asked for help, people have given help, and no response has been forthcoming?
Old 04 January 2024, 12:40   #18
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
So have you gotten access to the zone yet?

Thread specifically asked for help, people have given help, and no response has been forthcoming?
Wow, rude.

That’s not what’s happened here at all. I asked for help, mark_k sorted it out in the very second reply, and I got the program working by running Aegis Sonix first. I thanked him. Other people have now got it running too, and are enjoying the program…so I’m not the only benefactor here

Behind the scenes, I did get access to the zone, and I did download your piece of software. I’ll probably put it in the same folder as Synthia II, or I’ll just load Sonix first each time, I’m not sure. I didn’t realise I was being held at gun point for a response ¯\_(?)_/¯

And then I started talking about other stuff with JOTD, again, didn’t realise that this was a punishable offence. There seems to be some invisible eggshells I’m stepping on, and if that’s the case, I’d rather not have the help, if it comes with stressful conditions ¯\_(?)_/¯
Old 04 January 2024, 12:53   #19
tolkien
AmigaMan

I dont see any stressfull to say "oh, thanks Galahad for that program and the time to try to help me". But hey, perhaps its only me.
Old 04 January 2024, 13:14   #20
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkien View Post
I dont see any stressfull to say "oh, thanks Galahad for that program and the time to try to help me". But hey, perhaps its only me.
Multiple people offered to help, it’s hard to keep track of. I have autism and a full time job in mental health and a child, so yes, it was expecting too much ¯\_(?)_/¯