English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 November 2018, 18:00   #21
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
From my experience there is not much difference between Directory Filesystem and a HardFile, the difference can be seen instead if you use a real HardDisk; better still on Windows if you use a Hardisk created with the RAM Disk
Yes i remember using it by the past.
Could be great to have an option in winuae to create a ram harddisk and automatically copy an hdf or else in it before launching the emulation.
It can be done with windows but i stop to using it for some reason.
Or perhaps a -preload option like with whdload could be interesting for those with many ram.
Old 27 November 2018, 18:49   #22
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
What we should use ???
The multi-quote button (right of the "quote" button) to avoid making 3 posts in a row within 5 minutes... I'll merge these now.
Old 27 November 2018, 19:25   #23
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I don't think there is no other way than function pointers to support different memory/IO types and sizes dynamically.
Just thinking about how i would do it, but most accesses should target normal memory. Then a simple test can check this first and make the most common case faster.
Old 27 November 2018, 20:31   #24
White

@turrican3, AMIGASYSTEM
I used ram disk of the radeon (free) up to 4gb, unfortunately there are no obvious signs of speed, using the ram also in dual channel has problems with writing or reading I do not remember well, basically slows the access you have data in this mode , but I abandoned the idea with time, even using a .hdf or a directory or even selecting it as hard-disk there are drops from time to time probably due to the management of windows memory.

While it is very fast the use of a logical partition for example 20giga is reliable, with the software disk director 12 creating an unformatted X76 partition is hiding it as HIDE so that windows does not try to initialize it
Winuae will recognize the partition as a single hard disk using the add hard disk option
Acronis True image will have no trouble making backups with windows or linux
and can be restored as a single partition, recovery time 4-5 minutes

I use the amigaOS 4.1 in this way
As soon as I have finished my experiments I will also move the 68k in this way

I hope it is useful
Old 27 November 2018, 23:02   #25
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White View Post
While it is very fast the use of a logical partition for example 20giga is reliable, with the software disk director 12 creating an unformatted X76 partition is hiding it as HIDE so that windows does not try to initialize it
Winuae will recognize the partition as a single hard disk using the add hard disk option
In the past I used the "& 76" partitions to create partitions where I installed Amithlon and then managed by HDToolbox and shared with WinUAE.

DualBoot Amithlon/WinXP/WinUAE
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 November 2018, 23:10   #26
White

@AMIGASYSTEM
Exact and the same method, you can create more partitions and initialize them directly with the workbench by mounting them with winuae
true image allows you to save individual partitions and then restore them in a few minutes

screenshot

Last edited by White; 18 December 2019 at 14:13.
Old 28 November 2018, 13:28   #27
AMIGASYSTEM

Paolo speaking of speed, on OS3 you tried to navigate with Aweb and iBrowser through "pici.picidae.net", i talked about it HERE
Old 01 December 2018, 06:02   #28
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
The multi-quote button (right of the "quote" button) to avoid making 3 posts in a row within 5 minutes... I'll merge these now.
sorry didn't knew about it.
Old 12 December 2018, 22:35   #29
Greyspirit

Multi-core would be interesting to test out.
Running WinUAE 4.x on Server 2012R2 on a Dell R420 with 32 cores and 64 GB Ram available.
Runs well for CNet BBS (except random crashes after several days). WinUAE running A4000 with 64MB ram and maxed out speed options (every one I could find) is only hitting 2% Host CPU.
Old 15 December 2018, 01:37   #30
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

seriously Toni, multi-core will be perhaps a possibility ?? Yes or never ever ?
And what about accelerating the copper to avoid color blinking ??
Old 15 December 2018, 09:34   #31
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
seriously Toni, multi-core will be perhaps a possibility ?? Yes or never ever ?
I have replied that question too many times already.

Quote:
And what about accelerating the copper to avoid color blinking ??
Huh? (What is "color blinking"?) Anyway, it would break all demos and many games. And even some KS graphics routines that assume copper takes time. No.
Old 15 December 2018, 12:57   #32
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I'll reply anyway, again..

- Chipset part is never going to be multithreaded. It can't be done. (= can be done but all time would be wasted to inter thread communication because different chipset parts need to stay in sync all the time). Also, RTG mode is usually used when CPU heavy programs are run so there is not much to gain anyway
- CPU can be moved to another thread (already part of it is done) but this also makes code even more messier than it is.. Will be done someday..
- RTG board virtual VRAM to native display texture copy/colorspace conversion etc is optionally multithreaded (option in RTG panel).
- Some UAE expansion are multithreaded.
Old 15 December 2018, 13:03   #33
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Just thinking about how i would do it, but most accesses should target normal memory. Then a simple test can check this first and make the most common case faster.
I tried this and gained about 5% or so more speed but I only tested it very quickly. Someone else can test it better when next official beta arrives..
Old 17 December 2018, 03:38   #34
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

thank you, toni.Never noticed the rtg multithread.
Old 17 December 2018, 05:51   #35
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Huh? (What is "color blinking"?) Anyway, it would break all demos and many games. And even some KS graphics routines that assume copper takes time. No.
what i mean by colour blinking is when colour is swaped fastly to make the impression that there is more colours on screen like in agony or unreal.
I think that if the copper was faster our eyes couldn't see the swapping which cause the blinking and could render way better those great games who use this trick. Perhaps there is an other way to accelerate the colour swapping.
look the background here (at 7 min 11) : [ Show youtube player ] (agony colour swapping effect)

same here, look at the sky (at 3 min) (unreal) : [ Show youtube player ]
It's blinking because the swapping isn't fast enough but i suppose you didn't need me to understand that. Perhaps if it's easy could you make a test version with a simple winuae command, if it's easy.
Or perhaps winuae could detect those fast swapping tricks and boost the copper just for them ??

Last edited by turrican3; 17 December 2018 at 06:10.
Old 17 December 2018, 07:32   #36
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
what i mean by colour blinking is when colour is swaped fastly to make the impression that there is more colours on screen like in agony or unreal.
Does it flicker like this on a real Amiga? Then it is intentional, and is an aesthetic choice by the programmers to get around a limitation of the hardware. Trying to alter the emulation as you describe means it is no longer accurate Amiga emulation and thus should be avoided. Besides, as Toni says, it would break compatibility with most software.
Old 17 December 2018, 08:28   #37
britelite

Quote:
Making the copper faster wouldn't change a thing, because the pace of the flickering is limited by screen frequency (50hz for PAL).
Old 17 December 2018, 08:49   #38
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You can "work around" it by increasing emulation speed using FPS Adj. slider in Display panel. It most likely makes game impossible to play but flicker gets reduced, at least if you have high refresh rate monitor
Old 17 December 2018, 13:05   #39
Mclane
Old retro god.

Does this flicker not fall in to the old point that these games were designed for TV and low res monitors (mostly TVs with RGB) and the cheat to get more colours on via the copper just blended in more on lower res displays so the visual emphasis was on the game play and if the background flickered with all the stuff being processed it was the AGA trade off for more pretty colours?

And yes I know the copper list isn't a trick but the use here is just to give a gradient semi blended sky for more depth and in some ways I call that a trick even though its using the copper in a normal way..

Its just now we have higher res monitors that show up the bits of code so much more and now they get picked out as being odd when at the time they were just part of the game..

Paul..
Old 17 December 2018, 21:29   #40
Rotareneg

There's an easy solution: Buy an old LCD that has a really slow response rate. :P