English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 04 March 2020, 09:49   #61
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
if you can't understand this basic principal that I write you would never be able to make a game like SF2, SF2 is very complicated and you wouldnt be able to map all the Hit boxes it would be beyond your capabilities.
Talk is cheap. If you're so certain your ideas are the best ever, then why not prove us mere mortals wrong with your superior skills?
Old 04 March 2020, 09:56   #62
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I find it fascinating, that you have a person in this thread (=>me) that has basically done this system Retro1234 propagates in a few games, and tells him that it doesn't work for Street Fighter, and yet he doesn't believe.

My games are exactly working like this.
I am checking a few states when an attack is done.
Works for simple Yie Ar Kung Fu like games, but not in any way for Street Fighter 2.

I'd trust a person who can show that he/she created some games with that system that it has its limits.
Old 04 March 2020, 10:23   #63
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
My games are exactly working like this.
I am checking a few states when an attack is done.
Works for simple Yie Ar Kung Fu like games, but not in any way for Street Fighter 2.
To be fair, it's quite easy to see how someone inexperienced might come to the conclusion that this approach would work on a game like Street Fighter 2. That's until they actually try to implement it and notice how many different special cases need to be handled, and they wish that they'd just had done it proper to begin with
Old 04 March 2020, 11:08   #64
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Your a fool I've written a program that can turn. Pictures of maps like in the HOL back into maps I could write a program to turn pictures of SF2 with Hit boxes back into data. Fool.
Old 04 March 2020, 11:30   #65
britelite

Quote:
Your a fool I've written a program that can turn.
Sounds like a great little program!

Quote:
Fool.
Takes one to know one?
Old 04 March 2020, 13:22   #66
mcgeezer

Sorry - I couldn't resist....

No but, yes but seriously... hit boxes is the way forward for this kind of deal. Anything else will result in a crap game.
Old 04 March 2020, 15:17   #67
rothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
disassembling a big executable in 68k and rebuilding the logic/resourcing it isn't an easy task even if you know the 68000 processor very well.

Best way is to debug the code using MAME so you can see it in action, check values of the variables, etc. A static analysis is very hard. Even with the right tools.^And we're talking an unknown platform, not the amiga. So the hardware interface isn't well known. Unless you check mame driver (which isn't very easy to understand either!)

You'd think you'd stumble on the IA routines directly, but they're mixed with a lot of little interest code (lowlevel routines for sound, gfx, controls, loading…). Kroah is pretty good at this. He admits he's using the Atari ST versions because they're way simpler than amiga versions (no blitter, no custom chips)
You're probably on to something with the MAME driver. The CPS hardware is very well documented.

Stepping through the code via MAME would allow you to see what's doing what.

It may be possible to hack something together, somewhere between an emulator and running the code directly, this would be the only way to get a (near) perfect port.

This has been done for other games and systems. (GBA code running on other ARM systems) and that Pacman arcade port to the ZX Spectrum etc.

But would anyway spend months of their life doing this? It would be possible though.
Old 04 March 2020, 17:06   #68
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Theres a way to display the Hit Boxes in Mame
you could Video record every move from Vs mode and split in to single frames and write a program to Rip the data from the Screenshots or you could use a program let you map then manually from the screen shots you could get the exact hit boxes from the arcade version.

If some has already ripped the Sprites with the Boxes to download your laughing

Last edited by Retro1234; 04 March 2020 at 17:14.
Old 05 March 2020, 11:19   #69
Retro1234
Phone Homer

This site gives info on how to extract the Hit Box Data
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=33039

Now the data is there - doing it "Properly" nothing will ever be done except talk about it.
Old 05 March 2020, 12:07   #70
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
This site gives info on how to extract the Hit Box Data
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=33039

Now the data is there - doing it "Properly" nothing will ever be done except talk about it.
Yeah, so why aren't you coding a Street Fighter 2 port for the Amiga?
Old 05 March 2020, 13:24   #71
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I don't have time but I might be able to help rip the bounding boxes maybe Rip the A.I scripts but if someone was dedicated they could do all that themselves.

Every few years A thread I'm going to make Street Fighter 2 appears normally a load of rubbish someone has re-coloured a few sprites, but Master484 has actually produced something, an agreed project something could definitely happen.

Let's face it, it will never happen.
Old 05 March 2020, 13:55   #72
britelite

Doable or not, Street Fighter is a franchise that is still very much alive, so it's not a very good idea to release any unofficial versions...
Old 05 March 2020, 14:19   #73
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I am taking this as almost everybody else here who has a basic understanding of creating games on the Amiga: it's smalltalk about technical stuff and how youbwoild tackle it if you were to port this. Same with the Metal Slug thread.
Creating this would take a commitment of a few years.
If you look around the internet you will see tons of weird playing tries to create a version of street fighter from platforms like Flash over HTML and for different old home computers like MSX2.

They are all not finished afair.
And usuall play not much at all like the original.
Old 05 March 2020, 15:39   #74
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I think a single playable level is acceptable. Also what you wrote that is why I suggested alternative method of collision because with the bounding boxes I don't think it will ever happen.
Old 05 March 2020, 17:44   #75
dreadnought

Easy solution: make a turn-based Street Fighter game. Don't laugh, I'd play the hell out of it - in fact much more than I ever played the originals...crazy-complex combo based fighters are not my cup of tea.

They are making turn-based Yakuza RPG now, so there is definitely something to it
Old 05 March 2020, 18:29   #76
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Doable or not, Street Fighter is a franchise that is still very much alive, so it's not a very good idea to release any unofficial versions...
OR at least to talk openly about it; ypou could do a moddable clone, though, as proposed in the Rolling Thunder thread (at this point would sound almost like a MUGEN-like engine for baisc Amigas, i know)
Old 05 March 2020, 20:16   #77
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by activist View Post
although these threads do convey a 'feeling' of active development. So are still useful. Even when the reality is there's little or nothing happening re the topic in question. And these type of threads do appear very regularly
These threads are extremely useful!
I learned most of what I know about Amiga hardware from the old Rygar OCS thread and also heaps from the Metal Slug one.

These threads are for experimentation, learning and having crazy ideas with the hardware.

I really don't expect anyone to really port any of those huge games (except McGeezer, he is crazy enough to attempt that kind of stuff )
Old 05 March 2020, 20:22   #78
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

We need more crazy BUT the "right" kind of crazy!
Old 05 March 2020, 20:50   #79
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Every now and then someone does do somethng Master484 did do some interesting stuff on Street Fighter 2, LeatherHead Final Fight AGA p.s dont think he used Bounding boxes , mcgeezer, sandruzzo but Metal Slug on Amiga is ridiculous and Earok of course.
Old 05 March 2020, 21:45   #80
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I really don't expect anyone to really port any of those huge games (except McGeezer, he is crazy enough to attempt that kind of stuff )
.... and all someone has to say is that I bet mcgeezer couldn't do it and then I'll prove them wrong.