English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 March 2012, 23:53   #201
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
BTW, whats the cheat code to skip levels?
There isn't one. I'm not sure what the best way to implement such a thing would be. If you wanted a version where you start from level four I could do you one at some point this week.
Old 12 March 2012, 00:37   #202
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Well... the way I implement cheat codes (and debug menus) in my software is on the title screen / main menu. All the user has to do is type in a particular word (e.g. DEBUG) and it automatically activates. I just store the keypresses in a string and when the string matches a particular word then it activates stright away. If a letter is typed and it matches the first letter of a cheat code then it automatically wipes the previously stored string.
The only problem with that is when a cheat code contains the first letter elsewhere in the word, or phrase, it will wipe the first part! So if you use this method, choose your cheat code / phrase carefully.

Edit1:

Just played the latest WIP and it's great. I'd like to see the inclusion of a pause option, activated by the P button on the keyboard and, if it isn't going to be used for anything else, the fire button on the joystick.

Edit2:

I must say that levels 3 & 4 are evil in places. Great designing!

However, I have just found 2 bugs. The first one is captured in the attached image - the end of the platforms are missing!
The second took me 7 or 8 attempts to discover... after beating level 4 it loops back to level 1. But when I died (deliberately) the "Game Over" image didn't appear, but I was able to return to the title screen by pressing the fire button.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DownfallWIP8_glitch.png
Views:	318
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	30795  

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 12 March 2012 at 02:34. Reason: Request for pause and bugs found!
Old 12 March 2012, 03:06   #203
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
I must say that levels 3 & 4 are evil in places. Great designing!
Thats nice to hear.
Quote:
However, I have just found 2 bugs. The first one is captured in the attached image - the end of the platforms are missing!
Not a bug, but well spotted. That is an error n my design. (NOTE to Graham: letter 'G' )
Old 12 March 2012, 03:11   #204
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
There isn't one. I'm not sure what the best way to implement such a thing would be. If you wanted a version where you start from level four I could do you one at some point this week.
Similar to what lonewolf said but could you make it so you simply press a number on the keyboard for the corresponding level? (or i could just try harder)
Old 12 March 2012, 08:32   #205
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Image just for those who like our main
character (i just tried a graphic tablet):

Old 12 March 2012, 09:23   #206
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Just played the latest WIP and it's great. I'd like to see the inclusion of a pause option, activated by the P button on the keyboard and, if it isn't going to be used for anything else, the fire button on the joystick.
Yes - should have been in by now but I kinda forgot about it. It'll be in next week

Quote:
As mihcael says, not really a bug, more a designing oversight - I did spot this but too late for me to do anything about it while preparing the new version to be uploaded. So that will of course be fixed soon.

Quote:
The second took me 7 or 8 attempts to discover... after beating level 4 it loops back to level 1. But when I died (deliberately) the "Game Over" image didn't appear, but I was able to return to the title screen by pressing the fire button.
Thanks for the report on this one. I've never seen that happen before so I'll keep an eye out and see if I can work out what's causing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
Similar to what lonewolf said but could you make it so you simply press a number on the keyboard for the corresponding level? (or i could just try harder)
Yes, thinking about it that would be an easier method. Again I'll try it for next week (although it won't be in the final game of course).

Thanks for the feedback all! It's all useful.
Old 12 March 2012, 09:41   #207
mihcael
Zone Friend

Great stuff Graham, keep up the good work!
Old 13 March 2012, 03:54   #208
Ze Emulatron

Graham suggested that I post in the forum as it could be useful to people trying to make levels for Downfall.

Last week I also wrote a simple program in AmigaBASIC to be able to go through the ASCII saved file and display the layout of the levels (only checks if the value isn't 0, doesn't colour different platform pieces different colours), one at a time and I have updated it slightly for WIP8. I tested it with downfallWIP7.asc and downfallWIP8.asc

Picture of level 1

Included in the zip file is a compiled version and an ASCII version of the code. It does take a little while to read through the file before it finds the level data though.

It can be downloaded from

http://leehurleyproductions.freeiz.c...velDisplay.zip

Last edited by Ze Emulatron; 13 March 2012 at 04:00.
Old 13 March 2012, 06:00   #209
mihcael
Zone Friend

Just for laughs in comparison, this is how ive been laying out the levels. Using Calc, the design is on the left, the middle has the level design code and the right is platform templates for quick deployment.

Old 13 March 2012, 09:29   #210
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Hey, guys, thats great! This is something that I have been thinking of when I wrote that post about level editor / displayer. I like it!

I use this...

BTW: level 3 is evil, mihcael
Old 13 March 2012, 09:30   #211
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Emulatron View Post
Last week I also wrote a simple program in AmigaBASIC to be able to go through the ASCII saved file and display the layout of the levels (only checks if the value isn't 0, doesn't colour different platform pieces different colours), one at a time and I have updated it slightly for WIP8. I tested it with downfallWIP7.asc and downfallWIP8.asc.
Slight problem - I tried to run it and it quit out with an error. It was very quick so I'm not 100% sure what is said but I think it said it was missing a "bas.rl" file?
Old 13 March 2012, 20:12   #212
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
Slight problem - I tried to run it and it quit out with an error. It was very quick so I'm not 100% sure what is said but I think it said it was missing a "bas.rl" file?
My bad, I forgot I needed that file to run the compiled program.

Zip updated to include bas.rl and re uploaded to the same place
http://leehurleyproductions.freeiz.c...velDisplay.zip
Old 13 March 2012, 20:19   #213
Graham Humphrey

Great, cheers!
Old 13 March 2012, 23:04   #214
Graham Humphrey

Tonight, I have been mostly following DJCruicky's instructions to remove the glitching that is still present in the latest WIP. And sure enough, it worked! On top of that I also think I've managed to stop the objects appearing in the platforms and the player's feet no longer gets buried in the platforms if you approach it at a certain angle (this also means that the bug that mihcael reported has now vanished). However, it has had the side effect that you can no longer run at full pelt over small gaps which is unfortunate.

Just for Lonewolf10 I've also added a pause key

I guess the only real gameplay element to add now is the powerups so I will start work on that later this week. After that, it's a question of level designing and playtesting and then adding sound effects and music as and when.
Old 18 March 2012, 23:51   #215
Graham Humphrey

I've just about got WIP9 out on schedule

I've added the powerups this time but they probably still need a bit of tweaking. They're not stackable or anything so if you collect one while one is in use that'll automatically override it. They last for ten seconds each except for the freeze other player powerup which only lasts for two (and is only available in two-player mode obviously). The others increase and decrease your scoring rate, speed you up and slow you down, and increase/decrease falling speed.

I've also added two new levels designed by mihcael but I suspect they will need to be toned down quite a bit in terms of difficulty. If you want to try any level then press keys 1 to 6 on the numeric keypad (so if you're playing on an A600 you're stuck. Will be fixed!) and then fire as normal.

All graphical glitches should now be fixed, thankfully (although I still can't fix the 'objects in platforms' bug despite my boasts earlier) and two sound effects are now added (with hopefully more to come and some music at some point). Again I have provided it in LHA and ADF formats.
Attached Files
File Type: lha DownfallWIP9.LHA (90.4 KB, 195 views)
File Type: zip DownfallWIP9.ZIP (127.4 KB, 192 views)
Old 19 March 2012, 09:43   #216
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I was awaiting update impatiently, but finally fell asleep just before you released it last night I am looking forward to try it today!
Old 19 March 2012, 19:12   #217
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Happy the glitch fixes worked Graham.
I've been playing it last night and today. Fun game. It's one of them "Just one more go" type games.

I could be wrong, but think there are invisible objects? When playing, the pick up sound FX played but I had not picked up an object. Maybe a bug.

My best, I managed to get to is level 5 without using the level skipper, pure luck. To mihcael, I hate you .
Old 19 March 2012, 19:25   #218
Graham Humphrey

Thanks for your comments, and thanks again for your help, it's made a big difference

Yes, I actually noticed that bug myself after I posted I think it's been there a while but it's only since I added sound I've noticed. I'm really not sure what's causing it at the minute, it's very strange. It seems like very occasionally something is appearing where it shouldn't be (i.e. on top of the player). I'll have to take a proper look at that.

As for the levels... yep, they get a tad hard! I think five and six will be toned down a little so there aren't so many 'leaps of faith' as it's largely trial and error at the minute. Mike is doing a sterling job taking the time to design levels so far, he's becoming quite prolific! If anybody else wants to contribute too that'd be good... there's always room for more

My next task is to do the high score table, complete with loading and saving. I've done this successfully in the past so it will hopefully prove reasonably painless (now that sounds familiar...).
Old 19 March 2012, 20:06   #219
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I found another bug - sometimes hero lands in non-still anim frame, or just finishes his anim cycle in other frame than "still" (45, 46).

My actual hiscore 5054.

Level 6 is for me impossible to beat, even with cheat.

I have also problem with power-downs " /2", "snail" and "heavy weight". They must be adjusted or ballanced in some way, otherwise they are redundant: there is nothing that forces player to collect them or at least to try maneuvre to not collect. If I see any of them, I can always avoid it, because of random placing. If I see power-up, I try to collect it. If I see power-down, I just dont care and there is no need to dodge it or so.

There should be something like: "Yes, you will fall faster for 10 secs, BUT (you will get extra 500pts or so...)"

And here another pic for our loyal fans...

Last edited by Predseda; 19 March 2012 at 22:49.
Old 19 March 2012, 23:01   #220
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCruicky View Post
...My best, I managed to get to is level 5 without using the level skipper, pure luck. To mihcael, I hate you .
Thankyou!

Quote:
...Yes, I actually noticed that bug myself after I posted I think it's been there a while but it's only since I added sound I've noticed. I'm really not sure what's causing it at the minute, it's very strange. It seems like very occasionally something is appearing where it shouldn't be (i.e. on top of the player). I'll have to take a proper look at that...
I noticed this but assumed the fruit was apperaing right under the player, did not think of it as a bug.

Also, power-ups seem to only take effect when you hit a platform. Is this intended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Level 6 is for me impossible to beat, even with cheat.
6 is only possible if you leap at the last second and guess the right direction... it will be dropped. What did you think of level 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
...There should be something like: "Yes, you will fall faster for 10 secs, BUT (you will get extra 500pts or so...)"
I was thinking this also, reminds me of a super-comp round for Super Obliterator, the guys going for max points were collecting the downgrades.