English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08 February 2017, 06:59   #201
saimon69
Bedroom musician

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 649
A bit of backstage
[ Show youtube player ]
saimon69 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 April 2017, 22:56   #202
saimon69
Bedroom musician

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 649
Did not work on this lately but is my intention to continue! The finetune of City of the Knight also involve some time stretching: to test i play both the recording and the mod at the same time and keep track of where they miss overlapping.
saimon69 is offline  
Old 07 May 2017, 02:57   #203
saimon69
Bedroom musician

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 649
Need to find the courage to finish City of the Knight but in the meanwhile i finalized Combat 3 and continued two of the main songs.
saimon69 is offline  
Old 10 May 2017, 20:57   #204
saimon69
Bedroom musician

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 649
Due to feedback i did improve the drum sampled bases and layouts for Combat 1 and combat 3 plus i started the two missing non-cd towns.
saimon69 is offline  
Old 18 July 2017, 18:54   #205
meynaf
68k wisdom
meynaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lyon (France)
Age: 44
Posts: 2,362
Ok ok i'll interrupt saimon69's monologue for a while to announce a new release !
It was about time

Same link as before (see first post).

This version fixes a few issues (check history for details) but is mostly optimizations, concentrated on the path finder - which is now roughly twice as fast. As a side effect this makes enemy moves faster as well (computer AI does lots of it). I just hope i broke nothing, this thing is fragile as a soap bubble...

Note : if you're running under winuae and pal mode you can activate option "remove interlace artifacts" under "display" tab. I've just noticed it does wonders here.
meynaf is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 00:24   #206
saimon69
Bedroom musician

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 649
not my fault if i took pride in working on the musics - had to put on hold due to real life and other projects but am trying to continue
saimon69 is offline  
Old 19 July 2017, 09:11   #207
meynaf
68k wisdom
meynaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lyon (France)
Age: 44
Posts: 2,362
That's ok, no problem - i did put a smiley
meynaf is offline  
Old 21 July 2017, 20:56   #208
tom256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Poland
Posts: 120
Thank you for new release. I will check this weekend
tom256 is offline  
Old 23 July 2017, 15:22   #209
grelbfarlk
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 633
I had a try converting the XMI files to MIDI and they sound quite good on the Amiga using AMIDI (with the HQ sound bank). Now can you add AMIDI support, I haven't talked to him but I think Novacoder preapproves of the CAMD support.

HOMM2Mid.lha

Tracks 0009 and 0010 have a hanging note on Amidi, so they sound terrible.

Here's what track 8 sounds like on the Amiga, sorry for WAV format but LAME butchered it as an MP3.

http://www.filedropper.com/homm0008

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 23 July 2017 at 16:47.
grelbfarlk is offline  
Old 24 July 2017, 08:04   #210
meynaf
68k wisdom
meynaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lyon (France)
Age: 44
Posts: 2,362
Converting to general midi isn't a big deal - I did it many years ago. However it might be better to have reusable source code to perform this conversion on the fly (or, better, play xmi directly).
And they rarely play fine, even on peecees.

Best results i got was either with OPL synth (for which the musics appear to be designed) or with Timidity.
Too bad some tracks sound poor with Amidi, i will seriously consider that support if this problem gets fixed.
meynaf is offline  
Old 31 July 2017, 01:35   #211
grelbfarlk
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Converting to general midi isn't a big deal - I did it many years ago. However it might be better to have reusable source code to perform this conversion on the fly (or, better, play xmi directly).
And they rarely play fine, even on peecees.

Best results i got was either with OPL synth (for which the musics appear to be designed) or with Timidity.
Too bad some tracks sound poor with Amidi, i will seriously consider that support if this problem gets fixed.
Well the Exult port has code for playing XMIs, I think at least from what little googling I did on it, so maybe you could lift that, Amidi was more or less written for Exult.
grelbfarlk is offline  
Old 31 July 2017, 08:53   #212
meynaf
68k wisdom
meynaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lyon (France)
Age: 44
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Well the Exult port has code for playing XMIs, I think at least from what little googling I did on it, so maybe you could lift that, Amidi was more or less written for Exult.
Ok but it doesn't solve the problem of tracks that don't replay properly.
meynaf is offline  
Old 01 August 2017, 03:20   #213
grelbfarlk
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 633
I converted them down to type 0 midi and now they play fine with CAMD(over serial to a PC with Softsynth), just not fine with the software renderer. I'm not sure what's going on I'm just guessing AHI is not able to cope with the amount of channels. So if you were at all interested in doing Amidi support you'd have the option of CAMD with real midi devices, AMidi software renderer, or possibly GMPlay with 14-bit Paula playback which I haven't tested.

I'll try to find an Amiga Midi player with AHI support to rule out whether it's a general AHI issue choking on the amount of channels/bandwidth.
grelbfarlk is offline  
Old 01 August 2017, 08:54   #214
meynaf
68k wisdom
meynaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lyon (France)
Age: 44
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I converted them down to type 0 midi and now they play fine with CAMD(over serial to a PC with Softsynth), just not fine with the software renderer. I'm not sure what's going on I'm just guessing AHI is not able to cope with the amount of channels.
One sure thing is that i will NOT use AHI.


Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
So if you were at all interested in doing Amidi support you'd have the option of CAMD with real midi devices, AMidi software renderer, or possibly GMPlay with 14-bit Paula playback which I haven't tested.
I tried GMPlay already and it's not good enough. As I said earlier, only Timidity and OPL synth (thru Dosbox) seem to be able to play them fine.

In addition, remember that the game has sound fx as well so i need to be "in control" for proper replay. If there is no source code available for Amidi, then no Amidi support.


Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I'll try to find an Amiga Midi player with AHI support to rule out whether it's a general AHI issue choking on the amount of channels/bandwidth.
If it were AHI too slow, you'd hear holes in the playback -- not a held note.
meynaf is offline  
Old 02 August 2017, 03:30   #215
grelbfarlk
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 633
They do play fine with the CAMD.library, people have the option of redirecting the CAMD output to whatever they like whether that's a real midi synth or otherwise.

I didn't consider that the Amidi source is lost, I can't seem to find it. CAMD has source though.
grelbfarlk is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graphical Problems with Bubble Heroes Marskilla support.FS-UAE 7 18 August 2014 00:15
Heroes of Might and Magic mattbarton.exe Retrogaming General Discussion 7 25 April 2010 04:01
Heroes of the Lance xaind HOL contributions 1 07 January 2010 15:31
Heroes of Might and Magic III almost made it to the Atari! Shoonay Nostalgia & memories 10 31 May 2009 08:02
Heroes of the lance... keil81 support.Games 3 16 December 2001 12:26

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.21308 seconds with 13 queries