English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 January 2021, 17:50   #21
amiman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
Simple synthetic benchmarks are very, very misleading on JIT emulators because they are essentially the absolute best case scenario for JIT. Real world performance is an order of magnitude slower. (SysInfo is even funnier because it overstates the performance of the 68040 due to fitting within cache, while understates the performance of the 68060 due to poor superscalar usage).
We could use certain games and apps to benchmark the systems.
For example, specific scene in Vista 3.0, rendered at some resolution in high quality. Doom demo, Quake demo on higher end systems. Cinema 4D glass cube scene (CPU and FPU). Prime number calculations, Etc.
Old 01 February 2021, 14:44   #22
kipper2k

Not sure if this project has been mentioned before, i think it is time for it to be added to the list...

It is called the "Buffee" accelerator, and it is expected to be fast... VERY! fast Based on an 030 CPU

Go read up on it at http://www.buffee.ca

You can join the associated Discord page and i just found this review also. (Production is expected very soon.

read up on it here https://amitopia.com/new-buffee-amig...ing-1000-mips/

forgot to mention the price, depending on the volume purchased the price will be much! cheaper than its comparable competitors

Last edited by kipper2k; 01 February 2021 at 15:02.
Old 01 February 2021, 15:02   #23
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Do you all think it was time we made a benchmarking tool that showed different metrics. Maybe things that hardware can do well that emulation battles with?
Old 01 February 2021, 15:08   #24
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Do you all think it was time we made a benchmarking tool that showed different metrics. Maybe things that hardware can do well that emulation battles with?
Benchmark tools are good to give an idea of performance but for me, ultimately it is about compatibility.

Last edited by kipper2k; 01 February 2021 at 15:19.
Old 02 February 2021, 22:42   #25
AMike

For me, the article misses the real reason why I have an Amiga in the first place - namely fun. This can't be measured neither in synsinfo - nor in price/performance.

In terms of price/performance, there can only be one winner - emulation. Everyone has at least one device at home that is powerful enough to emulate an Amiga. Download emulator for free - install - win. But that has nothing to do with why I sit in front of an Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Benchmark tools are good to give an idea of performance but for me, ultimately it is about compatibility.
I own many Amigas - none of them is 100% compatible.
Old 04 February 2021, 11:01   #26
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
I'm not sure about things that emulation struggles with - it will still outpace anything that's hardware-specific like synchronised scrolling etc.

But SysSpeed is a decent attempt at a more varied benchmarker. It can be used to automate real-world tests like image conversion, archive compression and so on, as well as in-between level things like opening and closing windows, file accesses and seeking, graphics operations, and lower level things like drive speed, memory speed, MIPS etc. On the whole and contrary to some other benchmarkers, it tends to use OS calls so it's more indicative of system-friendly usage than hardware-banging games, but that does mean it also shows the influence of things like different OS updates, speedup patches and so on.
Old 10 February 2021, 15:35   #27
kipper2k

going to add this to the list, it is in a class by itself but definitely needs to be shown

would be nice if it becomes avaiable.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 February 2021, 01:46   #28
Valken

Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]
Wow! What IS THAT?!
Old 17 March 2021, 01:00   #29
MoonDragn

060 accelerators pricing for the A1200:

Blizzard ppc 603e - New unavailable - Used ~800 euro
Warp 1260 - New 500 euro + price of new 060 CPU
Terrible fire T1260 - New Not available yet, no info on pricing
ACA 1260 - New No info but the 33 version was 380 Euro
Vampire 1200 V2 - 450 Euro

Anyone fill in the blanks? Just the 060 CPU(not ec or lc) will set you back about 300 euro.
Old 17 March 2021, 01:08   #30
kipper2k

dont forget the ACA line of accels, which are slower than the radiant heaters but much more compatible and cheaper, also the upcoming "Buffy" accel for under $200 CAD
Old 17 March 2021, 01:15   #31
MoonDragn

Quote:
dont forget the ACA line of accels, which are slower than the radiant heaters but much more compatible and cheaper, also the upcoming "Buffy" accel for under $200 CAD
ACA is in the list. I need to research more on Buffy as so far the info is from their blog.
Old 17 March 2021, 01:19   #32
kipper2k

Here is info on the buffee HW...

https://oshwlab.com/Renee/buffee-accelerator

also the Pistorm is already boasting VERY high numbers for under $100.
Old 17 March 2021, 01:29   #33
MoonDragn

Quote:
Here is info on the buffee HW...

https://oshwlab.com/Renee/buffee-accelerator

also the Pistorm is already boasting VERY high numbers for under $100.
So is it technically an 060 accelerator? It mentioned in that link it is like a 040 at 400 mhz.

The price is certainly good. However I think we need to also consider what else comes with the accelerator. I know for the Vampire 1200 V2 at least you have a micro SD hd, Fast IDE ATA adapter and integrated RTG graphics.

Just a FAST ATA IDE adapter will set you back 100 euro.
Old 17 March 2021, 01:35   #34
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post
So is it technically an 060 accelerator? It mentioned in that link it is like a 040 at 400 mhz.

The price is certainly good. However I think we need to also consider what else comes with the accelerator. I know for the Vampire 1200 V2 at least you have a micro SD hd, Fast IDE ATA adapter and integrated RTG graphics.

Just a FAST ATA IDE adapter will set you back 100 euro.

ouch, where do you buy your ide adapters from, i have just made a 8MB fastmem ide adapter and it won't cost near that once i release it. You need to remember also the Amiga is not loading massive files, how long does it take to load a 1MB WHDload game, ide is not critical like in a PC

So far the Pistorm blows everything else away for IDE... (and also runs coffin in RTG)
https://twitter.com/Claude1079/statu...40304999661568
Old 17 March 2021, 02:26   #35
MoonDragn

Quote:
ouch, where do you buy your ide adapters from, i have just made a 8MB fastmem ide adapter and it won't cost near that once i release it. You need to remember also the Amiga is not loading massive files, how long does it take to load a 1MB WHDload game, ide is not critical like in a PC

So far the Pistorm blows everything else away for IDE... (and also runs coffin in RTG)
https://twitter.com/Claude1079/statu...40304999661568
Where can I get a Pistorm? You guys keep talking about stuff I can't find or buy.

The IDE card I'm talking about is this one:

https://amigakit.amiga.store/product...oducts_id=1052

btw the Vampire expands the memory to 128 mbs.
Old 17 March 2021, 02:40   #36
kipper2k

The Pistorm is open source, you can build it yourself or get someone to do for you. You need a Pi 3A.

https://github.com/captain-amygdala/pistorm

They do have a discord channel i think
Old 17 March 2021, 02:44   #37
MoonDragn

Quote:
The Pistorm is open source, you can build it yourself or get someone to do for you. You need a Pi 3A.

https://github.com/captain-amygdala/pistorm

They do have a discord channel i think
So not available for purchase. So pretty much you are basing your pricing on something that the average consumer can't build themselves.

btw http://www.mindsensors.com/stem-with...for-lego-robot

I think the name is already copyrighted.
Old 17 March 2021, 02:52   #38
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post
So not available for purchase. So pretty much you are basing your pricing on something that the average consumer can't build themselves.

btw http://www.mindsensors.com/stem-with...for-lego-robot

I think the name is already copyrighted.
it is available for purchase, i have some. and jlc will build them, It seems you are not happy ?
Old 17 March 2021, 03:10   #39
grelbfarlk

Quote:
it is available for purchase, i have some. and jlc will build them, It seems you are not happy ?
Kipper we are just concerned you are associated with another project that stomps on another well known IP with a common name, and I can't just open up the ebay.ca and buy one, right now, today. For a reasonable buy-it-now price or a starting at $1 with no reserve, with quantity 100 remaining. Also, can you come to my house and install it for me and fix my OS install? Is that so much to ask?
Old 17 March 2021, 03:10   #40
MoonDragn

Quote:
No, you misunderstand, I'm trying to find out the price for them. I am looking to buy an IDE fast ATA adapter because I broke that function on my A1200.

Still not sure where the issue is. I need to find time this weekend to trace every ide pin to their connection point.