English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 October 2020, 00:12   #81
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselrama View Post
If anyone needs a reminder of the history of the longest-running lawsuit in Computerdom, here's Jon Aasenden's excellent article on the subject:

https://jonlennartaasenden.wordpress...-of-computing/
Some details escaped the author's glimpse, but that article is pretty accurate on too many things that it portrays.

Congratulations on whoever did the long and exhaustive research and published it.
Old 22 October 2020, 02:37   #82
IanP

The article seems very one sided an full of inaccuracies in my opinion. In the comments Trevor states that he didn't say Acer still own any Amiga IP. Which makes sense as they have never been a party to any of the litigation surrounding the ownership and licensing of said IP. All patents to classic hardware and software are long since expired leaving only copyrights and trademarks of the IP and licensing deals of copyrighted and trademarked materials. There are bold claims made by the author about the ownership of the classic OS but if it was clear cut there wouldn't be an ongoing legal dispute.
Old 22 October 2020, 20:50   #83
Pixelfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I have no nostalgia for CGA/EGA graphics and loud PC speaker noise. A mini 486DX266 however that supports both Soundblaster and Roland output... That is a peak DOS-era gaming machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
Not a 286 but there's a Mini-ITX 8088-based super-PC with one of those amazing graphics cards called the NuXT.
Sorry guys, I was attempting to be amusing, if you missed the whole Vassilator thread it won't make any sense at all. Although if the NuxT runs Commander Keen I'm sold
Old 23 October 2020, 13:08   #84
Quazar

Quote:
The main guy behind the company was one of the Spectrum Vega lot who left before it all imploded. He went on to claim he bought a whole load of retro rights. I first came across him when he claimed to have bought the rights to the Sam Coupe from Mel Croucher. The Sam Coupe - a computer that sold less than 4,000 units in it's lifetime. He started mouthing off about 'protecting his marks' at the Sam Coupe community who'd been releasing things for decades with Sam in the name and the Sam robot.
He only bought the rights to the SAM Coupe USER MANUAL from Mel Croucher, which Mel wrote for MGT in 1989. Plus the rights to the SAM Robot character from Robin Evans and trademarked the name 'SAM Coupe' (The word 'SAM' on it's own is too vague to be trademarked!). No rights to the computer itself.

It's very hard to know an exact figure of how many SAM Coupes were produced. The best estimates I've been able to get are around 18,000. The SAM is the system I've been developing for since 1993, designing/coding hardware, software, magazines. I managed to get my hands on the last of the custom chip parts that were produced for the SAM back in 1989 so plan a system using them, with a lot of other stuff in the pipeline to keep the SAM alive. (My site: www.samcoupe.com)

Last edited by Quazar; 23 October 2020 at 13:39.
Old 23 October 2020, 18:43   #85
stevelord

Absolutely (and also hi, lovely to see you here Quazar!), although I do remember him claiming a lot more than that in the Sam Facebook group (I left FB around that time). How did all that end?
Old 23 October 2020, 18:46   #86
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Not sure how related is this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...gend-of-zahira

scroll down to the Commodore related stuff. I must say I do not understand properly.
Old 23 October 2020, 19:14   #87
Quazar

Quote:
Absolutely (and also hi, lovely to see you here Quazar!), although I do remember him claiming a lot more than that in the Sam Facebook group (I left FB around that time). How did all that end?
'ello

I'm not that active on FB at all (I can't stand FB!). But there was a statement issued on there at the time to show what was acquired. The manual from Mel, The Robot from Robin, and a trademark registered.

The general impression interpreted though is that more is owned, which is not the case. (A claim often backed up by others too, such as some crap I watched on YT)

Last edited by Quazar; 23 October 2020 at 19:33.
Old 23 October 2020, 19:34   #88
number6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Not sure how related is this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...gend-of-zahira

scroll down to the Commodore related stuff. I must say I do not understand properly.
I'm not sure if you are referring to licensing rights for the trademark?
nevertheless, most C= disputed tradmarks are linked here.

Although I see recent communications, I see no official changes.