English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 January 2017, 10:11   #141
elowan

Ok - I will try this, when I returend to my PC
Old 23 January 2017, 18:23   #142
elowan

now - I copied over the unzipped Update 1 foldert from "Win-swap" to my OS4.1 hdf file and run installer from there. after restart (via WinUAE), I open a shell and typed "veriosn" and I get:

Kickstart: 53.58, Workbench 53.14 (!)

So I guess, there is something wrong with the installer?!
Old 23 January 2017, 18:25   #143
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Another random guess: perhaps buffers are not flushed (for some unknown reason)? Try waiting long time (30s+) and then just shut down the emulator instead of resetting. (shutdown = quit it completely)

Does same happen when using CSPPC SCSI and mainboard IDE?
Old 23 January 2017, 18:43   #144
elowan

Ok, I re-DL the update.lha and this time, to my OS4.1 hdf workbench drive.
I unzipped it and run the installer... at 5/5 near the end, it crashes (see image)

after restart WinUAE, Pink screen is back again...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	install-crash.PNG
Views:	280
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	51792  
Old 23 January 2017, 20:34   #145
AMIGASYSTEM

The error says that probably had some applicazion MUI open ?
Old 23 January 2017, 22:03   #146
esc

@elowan -

Do a fresh OS 4.1 install. No expansions aside from CSPPC (with 128mb accelerator RAM), Picasso IV, and ethernet. Don't use any other settings.

Install additional software from the OS 4.1 CD into your new OS 4.1 hard drive. Reboot.

Download the OS 4.1 Final Update 1 lha, create a directory on your sys: partition somewhere, and unpack the archive into there. Run the installer.

Add the line to beginning of s:startup-sequence:
C:Bootloader COMMANDLINE="NORAMPAGER"

Shut down UAE session, add 512MB Zorro III RAM and start up again.

Old 24 January 2017, 08:08   #147
kas1e

@elowan
Quote:
it crashes (see image)
That not crash, but error request saying that you already run some mui programm or whatever. Or, you doing something with system in meantime.

Probably you better skip that things, as if you can't install update, you will have only the problems with os4 usage It always need some knowledge without which you will be annoed by os4.
Old 24 January 2017, 10:37   #148
elowan

hmmm, I call that crash, because after I click "OK" on that dialog, the installer window closes itself. Normally I would expect the progressbar to run to the end and then there should be the message to "reboot" - but this does not happen. So the installer "exits" without finishing, I guess... at least, theree was "... Update 1" written on top-bar XD

I dont know, I got limpid clock loaded, but that´s all (except for the system of course) - dont know why MUI-error came up...
Old 24 January 2017, 10:39   #149
elowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Another random guess: perhaps buffers are not flushed (for some unknown reason)? Try waiting long time (30s+) and then just shut down the emulator instead of resetting. (shutdown = quit it completely)

Does same happen when using CSPPC SCSI and mainboard IDE?

hey Toni,

when switching to IDE for the Work and Games drive, system won´t boot anymore. OS4.1 hdf is cyberstom accelerator with SCSI interface...

I think this is not WinUAE issue.

only thing about WinUAE is, when I try to change paths to .rom files if I test another config, WinUAE crashes a lot on me. but other than that, it´s running pretty good
Old 24 January 2017, 10:43   #150
elowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
@elowan -

Do a fresh OS 4.1 install. No expansions aside from CSPPC (with 128mb accelerator RAM), Picasso IV, and ethernet. Don't use any other settings.
Ok - may you have a working step-by-step guide for this task?

Quote:
Install additional software from the OS 4.1 CD into your new OS 4.1 hard drive. Reboot.
Ok - what additional software should I install? Any Recomandations?

Quote:
Download the OS 4.1 Final Update 1 lha, create a directory on your sys: partition somewhere, and unpack the archive into there. Run the installer.
So it needs to be unzipped to "SYS:" (which is "Workbench" in my case)?

Quote:
Add the line to beginning of s:startup-sequence:
C:Bootloader COMMANDLINE="NORAMPAGER"

Shut down UAE session, add 512MB Zorro III RAM and start up again.
The last part is easy, hehehe
Old 24 January 2017, 11:11   #151
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elowan View Post
Yes, I have said many times, this not required but necessary for not having blocks
Old 24 January 2017, 15:09   #152
kas1e

@elowan
Quote:
Does not matter where you will unpack archive, it just should be unpacked inside os4, to avoid problems with protect flags, links or whatever else. You can extract it to SYS:, or to RAM: doesn't matter.

All what matter is: install FE, then download update1 , unpack (of course not under windows, everything doing inside of os4), and run installer. If it scream about that mui thing - then it mean you after installing FE doing something else, like inslalling on running something in background, which wasn't expected. First thing first - you install os, install update, and only then all 3d party crap when you will have deal with update, and z3 ram. Not that it so matter, but it just easy to not worry about other things till you didn't fix main ones.
Old 24 January 2017, 16:52   #153
esc

Unzipping to ram won't work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 25 January 2017, 02:56   #154
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Use NotePad in AmigaOS4.1 FE to edit your StartUp-Sequence and edit the line where it stands C:BootLoader to C:BootLoader COMMANDLINE="NoRAMPager". Save and close NotePad. Now shutdown WinUAE, reopen it, load the config file you have for your AmigaOS 4.1 FE setup and go to menu item "RAM" and use the slider for Z3 Fast: and set it to either 512 MB or 1 GB, save the config file.

Do you have a OS4 Work: partition as a .HDF file in WinUAE? If so, manually download and unarchive the AmigaOS4.1FinalEditionUpdate1.lha using UnArc to Work: don't use AmiUpdate for that file. and remember that MUI shall and must be updated after you have installed AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 1. Remember to close UnArc after it have finished. Now you shall have a folder called AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 1. Run the installer in this folder and remember to close all open programs on your Workbench screen before you do that. Answer "OK" or "Yes" on all suggestions, but don't answer "Yes" or "OK", if it ask about "GREX", answer "NO" to that question".

This way worked for me and should work for others too.
I have included my WinUAE 64-bit config file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OS4.1 Classics FE_64.zip (3.0 KB, 178 views)
Old 25 January 2017, 11:28   #155
elowan

thanks for support, guys!

Hmmm, basically I did everything, ma693541 mentioned....
I can not remember the installer ask something about "GREX" yes or no. Only thing was some dialog, pointing out that first
some python stuff has to be installed...

Maybe it is worth to mention, I got SDK and Codebench installed (which also has some librarys and system stuff installed)

I will leave this alone now, until I got more spare-time to rebuild the OS4.1 from scratch.

cheers
Old 25 January 2017, 17:52   #156
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
This way worked for me and should work for others too.
Yes, but not for all, everything depends on how it was updated OS4.1,steps you explained They are the same that we are repeating for days. There are certain configurations that despite everything, even if the setup has been successful then collide with the screen Pink.
Old 25 January 2017, 22:02   #157
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Well, I posted my config file and I followed the guide on how to install the OS4 here at EAB. Just search for it. To lazy to dig it up myself.
Old 26 January 2017, 06:51   #158
Saghalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elowan View Post
thanks for support, guys!
Maybe it is worth to mention, I got SDK and Codebench installed (which also has some librarys and system stuff installed)
I have SDK and Codebench installed as well. I had no trouble updating the OS. I am also using WinUAE and AmigaForever. I had no issues with either emulator during upgrade.

The session I use(d) is a OS4.1FE that has quite a bit of stuff on it as I used it to load programing stuff to play around with. So there are FTP programs as well as the Cinemaware games.

I would suggest a complete re-install (brand new) - make sure your data disk(s) are not bootable too.

Last edited by DH; 14 November 2017 at 17:24. Reason: Deleted direct signature
Old 02 October 2017, 12:34   #159
Reth

Question

Hi Guys,

thanks for WinUAE and this gr8 possibility to use AOS4.1 with sufficient RAM size in Emulation!

One question: I am using 64bit version of WinUAE on Win10 with 8GB physical RAM. As GFX card is PIV configured.
Everything works fine when I use 512MB ZIII RAM, but when setting it to 1GB having the PIV as first board in board list I get a Grim Reaper during booting telling "Please insert volume ENV: in any drive Process: 18 "Grim Reaper"".
When I cancel this I get a GR telling Task "Initial CLI" crashed and can only be killed. Afterwards booting stops of course.

Any idea how I can configure 1GB as ZIII RAM in a usable way? If this is not possible - is there a maximum that can be configured?

Thanks in advance!

Bye
Old 02 October 2017, 16:21   #160
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You can't. All Z3 boards must fit inside 1G (RAM + PIV) when using OS4, it is very strict and only accepts official Z3 space.

Configure multiple Z3 RAM boards, for example 512M+256M (and so on if needed..)