English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 December 2002, 14:51   #1
manicx

Latest winUAE + XP = Joystick Problems AGAIN!

I give up! I have a PCCompetitor interface for the PC. This basically plugs into the PC Joystick interface and outputs to two classic D-type sockets.

I knew that there was a problem with the interface and windows XP. Specifically the only way to set up two joysticks was to set up a 4-axis 4-buttons in windows and apply each axis to the joystick set up on the emulator.

This worked fine with WinUAE 0.8.22R1. After that it got messed up again. It's annoyng to enjoy some new features and lose some others when you upgrade to a newer version. This time one of the 2nd joystick's axis is dead. I always check with another ST emulator, STEEM, whether my windows joystick setup is corrupted. It works fine with it.

Can we please find a way to stabilize this thing?
Old 07 December 2002, 02:31   #2
Unregistered

I have posted this twice already

I havent been able to get 2 joysticks working since 8.21 R4 in Windows XP. Ever since 8.22 came out I cant play any 2 player games because only port 0 works.. nobody has responded to my staements either.. I understand that not everybody has time to deal with these problems.. but can we please have it addressed in the next version?

Old 07 December 2002, 12:17   #3
_Bnu

I'd say it's more than a joystick problem...

If I use floppy disk images with WinUAE 0.8.22r2+ the mouse tends to lock up for a few seconds as long as some kind of floppy access is going on and most of the time even afterwards. As for the joystick input, it stalls and locks to the button you pushed when the stall started.

Why this isn't an as big problem in WinUAE 0.8.22r1, I don't really have an explanation to, as I'm not very into how WinUAE works, but the problem is still there, since the mouse pointer jerks when floppy access is being done. Also, there's a bug in the joystick-keyboard emulation which lets you push up/down and left/right at the same time, which is quite impossible on a real Amiga and can cause some really weird bugs.

Actually, this problem should be at the top of the priority list, since I don't think that many people are using their WinUAE for running keyboard only apps in Workbench running them from a HD image or such.

Old 07 December 2002, 13:16   #4
manicx

I agree, this is a very important issue. We need to stabilize the input performance + usability. In 8.21r4 joysticks were working a dream.
Old 07 December 2002, 13:48   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Two joysticks should work in 0822r3. (r1 and r2 had bugs that were fixed in r3)

Does Input-tab list both your joysticks? Does it list correct number of axis and buttons?
Old 07 December 2002, 15:39   #6
manicx

Input tab seems to work ok. I see all 4 axes and 4 buttons. As I said before I chose to use a custom 4 axis 4 buttons joystick. I assign values correctly to each one but one of the axis in the second joystick is not working. As I said before, both joysticks work fine with other emulators/software. I am not sure whether setting a 2 * 2 Axis Joysticks will work but I will try that later.
Old 07 December 2002, 20:30   #7
_Bnu

Toni, if the way UAE handles the joystick input still lets you push both left + right or up + down in any way (i.e. if you use the keyboard for joystick input), that should be addressed as well.

For example in Benefactor, this can cause Ben to moonwalk and sometimes ending up inside a wall, the sprite getting its colors distorted and then causing you to get Game Over.