English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 March 2021, 00:17   #1
Photon

WinUAE turns off Black Frame Insertion when VSync off

So I have secured two of these. (SA27950D).

They are most excellent They are the only flatscreen monitors in existence* to support zero blur. (For anything moving on the screen.)

Now the important bit: unlike every 50Hz monitor on Amiga lists, they support the same for 100Hz and WinUAE's Black Frame Insertion mode = 50Hz without the blur and bright picture(!)

However: every other Amiga frame being black cannot even be tried in WinUAE because turning VSync to anything but VSync off ("-") results in BFI being turned off even though it's checked under Miscellaneous. And VSync on results in sound glitches (see other thread here - only for audio, visually it has nothing to do with this thread), so I'd like to have a go at audio perfection as well as video perfection!

I have a test case. Can I try Toni?

* Caveat: we all know you can't prove a negative. That's why 'exist' is a meaningless word.

Last edited by Photon; 04 March 2021 at 00:51. Reason: detail about exact settings change
Old 04 March 2021, 15:19   #2
rutra80

Yep, BFI is currently a bit neglected. You might have some luck with ticking beta versions' "VRR monitor, do not enable", but then frame pacing becomes unstable (brightness flickers) and I don't know how it behaves if your monitors don't support VRR.
Frame pacing with that option improves for me with certain CPU speed and cycle exact settings, but then you can't have proper A500 or A1200...
Old 04 March 2021, 16:00   #3
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
hey are the only flatscreen monitors in existence* to support zero blur.
What about all the other monitors with LightBoost or ULMB, or whatever other clone techniques available?
Old 04 March 2021, 18:02   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It gets set off because it will look horrible without vsync. This was back in the day when variable refresh rate monitor was rare.
Old 17 March 2021, 20:49   #5
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
What about all the other monitors with LightBoost or ULMB, or whatever other clone techniques available?
They are not on the list of blur free monitors (very few are).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It gets set off because it will look horrible without vsync. This was back in the day when variable refresh rate monitor was rare.
It may look horrible on most monitors, including the new ones with pay-for-acronym-that-does-nothing-for-blur. I got the perfect monitor first try, supports BFI and perfect for blur free gaming.

Adaptive Sync in settings takes 5 seconds and does everything the N'Sync and Freesync acronyms do.

Anyway, let's stop talking about BS acronyms. What can I say? Most people buy crap, or listen to charlatans and buy crap they think isn't crap.

BFI is not a BS acronym. It actually does something important! Remove blur.

Can I force VSync Off+BFI with a config file setting?