English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 14 September 2013, 15:49   #41
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Yes, and no. This option does indeed work, for FS-UAE itself. But using it with FS-UAE Launcher will have less of an effect, since FS-UAE Launcher also currently extracts/copies disk images to a temporary directory before launching FS-UAE. So the net effect is that floppy overlays are not used, but instead, modified .adf files are saved in the state dir instead.

I'll have to either make FS-UAE Launcher respect writable_floppy_images too, and behave differently if set, or do something else to support this use case. I'll think on what's the best way to proceed...

Only 100% is supported, other speeds may or may not work depending on the game. The online docs are updated.

You must run a simple file re-scan in order for database entries to reappear, the database schema was updated in the development version and there is no automatic database migration. Oh, and keep in mind going forward not to use the stable thread for devel-version issues, or people might get confused

EDIT: Yes, I see from the screens that other settings are missing. Perhaps you downloaded the portable version? That version will use its own settings file... to keep it portable...
Yes it was portable version. Is there anyway to get irc on portable?
Old 26 October 2013, 01:12   #42
Rhialto

fs-uae 2.2.3

Hi all! I'm new here in this forum but I've been an Amigoid since around 1986 or so.

I am very happy that the development of UAE for Unix has been continued... uae and e-uae stopped working a long time ago.

I just packaged fs-uae for pkgsrc (see http://pkgsrc-wip.cvs.sourceforge.ne...ip/wip/fs-uae/ and I tried it out on the saved copy of my Amiga 4000/040 environment.

I noticed a few oddities:
  1. I use a screen mode "DBLPAL HighRes No Flicker" which is normally 640 x 512 but I overscanned it a bit to 672 x 532. It is specially designed for the "bi-sync" 1940 monitor. However, the horizontal overscan is not shown in fs-uae. That's a bit of a bother because that just hides the front/back gadget, the right-hand scroll bar, and the resize corner of most windows.
  2. I use my mouse left-handed, with the mouse buttons swapped (xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1 4 5"). However fs-uae ignores that, and forces me to move my mouse to my other hand.
  3. Similarly, I have my left control and caps lock keys switched. I do that with the xkb option "ctrl:swapcaps". This really confuses fs-uae. Neither key now does what it is supposed to do. Instead it seems to be a mix of the swapped and unswapped behaviour. The original caps-lock key seems to be a sort of control-lock now. This makes using the keyboard rather difficult...
  4. I have more than 4 harddisk partitions. And they are not called DH0: ... DH3. I can't find an option to choose the device names. My startup-sequence however refers to some of these disks, so it fails to work properly. And of course some of the disks are missing because you can select only 4 of them.
  5. And as a last item, the launcher throws lots of exceptions "NotImplementedError: wx.GraphicsContext is not available on this platform." and its window is missing the buttons to swap between the panes. If you know where to click, it switches panes, but I only know that because I happened to see the linux version first...

That's it for now! It may seem a lot of complaints but in the grand scheme of things, the things that are working are amazing and these are mere details.
Thanks for doing it!

Old 26 October 2013, 01:33   #43
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
I use a screen mode "DBLPAL HighRes No Flicker" which is normally 640 x 512 but I overscanned it a bit to 672 x 532. It is specially designed for the "bi-sync" 1940 monitor. However, the horizontal overscan is not shown in fs-uae. That's a bit of a bother because that just hides the front/back gadget, the right-hand scroll bar, and the resize corner of most windows.
Perhaps it is just hidden by the autoscale feature, have you tried cycling zoom modes with F11, for example "full overscan"?

Quote:
I use my mouse left-handed, with the mouse buttons swapped (xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1 4 5"). However fs-uae ignores that, and forces me to move my mouse to my other hand.
I just use information I get from SDL here, and I'm not sure if xmodmap is supposed to affect SDL or not. In any case, I can easily implement a separate option "invert left/right mouse buttons"...

Quote:
Similarly, I have my left control and caps lock keys switched. I do that with the xkb option "ctrl:swapcaps". This really confuses fs-uae. Neither key now does what it is supposed to do. Instead it seems to be a mix of the swapped and unswapped behaviour. The original caps-lock key seems to be a sort of control-lock now. This makes using the keyboard rather difficult...
The keyboard code uses a mix of "scancodes" and translated key codes to map keys based on physical position instead of virtual key. This is important in order to correctly emulate the Amiga keyboard. I have only written/tested code for the officially supported platforms Linux, Windows and OS X, and so the problem could lie there. Difficult for me to say with any certainty. You could try to uncomment the following lines in libfsemu/src/ml/x11.c:
g_key_map[37] = FS_ML_KEY_LCTRL;
g_key_map[66] = FS_ML_KEY_CAPSLOCK;

Quote:
I have more than 4 harddisk partitions. And they are not called DH0: ... DH3. I can't find an option to choose the device names. My startup-sequence however refers to some of these disks, so it fails to work properly. And of course some of the disks are missing because you can select only 4 of them.
The launcher does not yet have UI for it, but you can specify volume labels with hard_drive_0_label (etc) if you manually edit the config file. Likewise, you can also add up to 10 drives in the config file.

Quote:
And as a last item, the launcher throws lots of exceptions "NotImplementedError: wx.GraphicsContext is not available on this platform." and its window is missing the buttons to swap between the panes. If you know where to click, it switches panes, but I only know that because I happened to see the linux version first...
The problem is that your wxWidgets is compiled without support for wxGraphicsContext which FS-UAE Launcher requires for some drawing operations. Enabling it in wxWidgets should make the problem go away. Alternatively, you can try the latest development version instead -- it now uses QT instead of wxWidgets.

Anyway, glad you like it despite having some issues
Old 26 October 2013, 02:34   #44
Rhialto

Thanks for your quick reply!
Quote:
Perhaps it is just hidden by the autoscale feature, have you tried cycling zoom modes with F11, for example "full overscan"?
Good idea. The different zoom modes do make a difference, but most actually make it worse. "full frame" adds some border at the left and the top, but no change on the right.
I should add that my workbench screen is 1024x1024, which doesn't fit, so I use the Autoscroll option. I also seem to remember that there was a bug in AmigaOS with my overscanned screen mode, but it is so long ago that I can't recall the details. Maybe the exact Kickstart version may make a difference as well.
Quote:
I just use information I get from SDL here, and I'm not sure if xmodmap is supposed to affect SDL or not. In any case, I can easily implement a separate option "invert left/right mouse buttons"...
That would certainly work too.
Quote:
The keyboard code uses a mix of "scancodes" and translated key codes to map keys based on physical position instead of virtual key. This is important in order to correctly emulate the Amiga keyboard. I have only written/tested code for the officially supported platforms Linux, Windows and OS X, and so the problem could lie there. Difficult for me to say with any certainty. You could try to uncomment the following lines in libfsemu/src/ml/x11.c:
I'll try that later (it being pretty much bedtime)...
By the way. I think VICE (in the SDL version has similar problems, and of course for similar reasons.
Speaking of supported platforms: at the link in my previous post you can find some patches. They basically mirror the FreeBSD stuff to NetBSD (but not 100%). They are fairly trivial for most cases but it'd be nice if they were included (in so far as still appropriate in the current version).
Quote:
The launcher does not yet have UI for it, but you can specify volume labels with hard_drive_0_label (etc) if you manually edit the config file. Likewise, you can also add up to 10 drives in the config file.
I see... yes that works partially. That option sets the volume name, but not the device name. Now I have DH0: through DH6:, and some of them have volumes in them named QDH0, QDH1, etc. But apparently for the purpose of my startup-sequence, that is good enough.
Quote:
The problem is that your wxWidgets is compiled without support for wxGraphicsContext which FS-UAE Launcher requires for some drawing operations. Enabling it in wxWidgets should make the problem go away. Alternatively, you can try the latest development version instead -- it now uses QT instead of wxWidgets.
I noticed something like that when reading the notes on the development versions. On one side it avoids the problem, on the other side it probably forces me to package the Pyside bindings in pkgsrc since apparently nobody has done that yet.
Quote:
Anyway, glad you like it despite having some issues
I was almost tempted to do some stuff to old MSH: source code I still have around simply because I can run my development environment again :-)

Old 28 October 2013, 21:42   #45
Rhialto

Ok, further report:
Quote:
I tried this and it works much better! (At least I presume you meant to comment those lines, since they weren't already).
One thing is probably an effect of how SDL works on X: if you activate the Caps-Lock inside the SDL window, it isn't activated outside it -- and vice versa. I suspect that SDL intercepts keyboard events at such a low level that the general X context never gets to see that Caps-Lock was activated. It makes the Caps Lock LED behave a bit weird, but so be it. Nothing much you could do about, I'm sure.

Regarding the swapped mouse buttons: There is an X function you can call to detect if someone has done that: XGetPointerMapping(). You could use it as a default value for a "Swap mouse buttons?" option.

ETA: More success: With a bit of looking through the DebugConfig.uae and then some UTSL-ing, I found a way to get my QDH0: devices the way I want them:

uae_filesystem2 = rw,QDH0:Eclectic:/vol1/rhialto/uae/PAm/Eclectic,0
uae_filesystem2 = rw,QDH1:Empty1:/vol1/rhialto/uae/PAm/Empty1,0
uae_filesystem2 = rw,QDH2:Empty2:/vol1/rhialto/uae/PAm/Empty2,0
uae_filesystem2 = rw,QDH3:Empty3:/vol1/rhialto/uae/PAm/Empty3,0

where the fields are like this:

uae_filesystem2 = rw_or_ro,device:volumename:directory,bootpri

And regarding my overscan issue, it turns out that if I use the SYS:Prefs/Overscan preference (I used the one from 3.0 since that came with my A4000), I can move the position of the screen and if I move it just the right amount to the left, it seems to be fully visible.

ETA 3 (the &*^&^&* website ate my previous edit):

It seems that the launcher doesn't like repeated options and keeps only the last one. There seems some possibility to use options of the form "uae_uaehf0_read-only = 1" where the number can vary from 0 to 29 and read-only can be things like volumename, devicename, etc (see cfgfile_parse_filesys()) but so far that hasn't worked for me yet.

Last edited by Rhialto; 29 October 2013 at 00:42.

Old 01 November 2013, 22:27   #46
Jason H

Dunno if its just my machine, but when running the 2.2.3, I find that it won't remember my last window positioning when I restart the Launcher. It seems to always open off-centre and I have to reposition the Launcher window again in the middle of my screen. Running Mac OS 10.8.5.

On my Mac, it looks like the application is not writing the required files back to ~/library/Saved Application State/org.pythonmac.unspecified.FS-UAELauncher.savedState/

I can see that it writes the required savestate files to the location but when I quit the application, those files delete themselves, leaving the empy org.pythonmac.unspecified.FS-UAELauncher.savedState folder

I have tried the following in Terminal defaults write org.pythonmac.unspecified.FS-UAELauncher NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool true but it still does not save the state. Furthermore, FS-UAELauncher no longer creates a plist file for me in ~/Library/Preferences/
Old 14 November 2013, 20:47   #47
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

@Jason H, FS-UAE Launcher does not currently remember the window position (it never has). I'll put it on the todo list!
Old 29 November 2013, 18:06   #48
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
A small bug report: on Mac, the ".DS_Store" settings file left by Finder prevents AmigaDOS from deleting an otherwise empty directory.
This is fixed in 2.3.11dev (.DS_Store and Thumbs.db are deleted before trying to remove the directory)
Old 17 December 2013, 13:55   #49
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

Hi Frode, thanks for FS-UAE. I have recently discovered it, and like its slick interface, for use in home media PCs, and its other points of difference from WinUAE, such as its curvature shader.

I thought I would take the opportunity to provide some suggestions, to see if these could be implemented or not.

1. Save-states - during the game, could you assign a hot-key (such as numeral 1) to open up save state 1, instead of having to press F12 to open the menu and then navigate to the save state?

2. When you open a save state, or boot from one, the screen remains blank for at least 10 seconds but you can hear the music of the game playing. In other words the game is running but you can't see it during this time (say about 5 seconds). Can you implement faster booting save states?

3. I like the curvature shader, but think it needs to be combined with some slight blur to fully emulate a CRT. I combine it with scanlines, but I also think it needs some slight blur. Obviously there are plenty of shaders out there but it would be of assistance if in the instructions an example could be provided of the command to type to load a shader.

4. I saw reference in August 2013 posts in EAB to a 'Game Center'. I also note that FS-UAE Launcher is also called or had its name changed to FS-UAE Arcade. I am confused as to whether Game Center still exists or whether it is one of these variants such as FS-UAE arcade.

5. I am not sure if you can navigate to a completely different floppy and reset FS-UAE to boot from that floppy. Ie swap from one game to another.

6. It would be could if you could click on a .USS file and have that file load up the save state, such as in WinUAE.

7. When FS-UAE loads up or when you boot from a save-state, it would look smooth if there was a fade-in effect. I see that you have implemented a fade-out effect when you quit the emulator.

Thanks again for making FS-UAE. I am really enjoying it and its now my Amiga emulator of choice.

Cheers

Alex
Old 17 December 2013, 14:23   #50
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty90seven View Post
Hi Frode, thanks for FS-UAE. I have recently discovered it, and like its slick interface, for use in home media PCs, and its other points of difference from WinUAE, such as its curvature shader.
Excellent

Quote:
1. Save-states - during the game, could you assign a hot-key (such as numeral 1) to open up save state 1, instead of having to press F12 to open the menu and then navigate to the save state?
I'm hesitant to do this by default, since that would interfere with Amiga software requiring you to use the keys in question. Something like F12 + 1 is of course OK (perhaps that's what you meant). I'll probably add more shortcuts in the future. Until then, you can actually configure this yourself.

Code:
keyboard_key_1 = action_restore_state_1
See http://fs-uae.net/input-mapping and http://fs-uae.net/input-actions for more details. You can put these options in custom settings in FS-UAE Launcher.

Quote:
2. When you open a save state, or boot from one, the screen remains blank for at least 10 seconds but you can hear the music of the game playing. In other words the game is running but you can't see it during this time (say about 5 seconds). Can you implement faster booting save states?
I have never seen this issue. For me, save states have always loaded instantly. This must be a bug of some kind. Does the screen appear after 5-10 seconds (or so) by itself if you don't touch anything?

Quote:
3. I like the curvature shader, but think it needs to be combined with some slight blur to fully emulate a CRT. I combine it with scanlines, but I also think it needs some slight blur. Obviously there are plenty of shaders out there but it would be of assistance if in the instructions an example could be provided of the command to type to load a shader.
I should create an official doc page for shaders on fs-uae.net, but until then, this forum thread contains the information you need. I don't create these shaders myself (apart from some new scanline shaders I have been playing with in the dev versions), the bundled ones are open-source shaders from the net. It should be relatively simple to modify the curvature shader to for example add some horizontal blurring to the Amiga output before it is processed further.

Quote:
4. I saw reference in August 2013 posts in EAB to a 'Game Center'. I also note that FS-UAE Launcher is also called or had its name changed to FS-UAE Arcade. I am confused as to whether Game Center still exists or whether it is one of these variants such as FS-UAE arcade.
It is actually FS-UAE Game Center which is renamed to FS-UAE Arcade. If you download the development version, you'll also get FS-UAE Arcade (only works in combination with the online database). You can safely install the development version, it is quite good

Quote:
5. I am not sure if you can navigate to a completely different floppy and reset FS-UAE to boot from that floppy. Ie swap from one game to another.
This use case is not currently covered by FS-UAE (unless you happened to have the other game disks added to the floppy swap list).

Quote:
6. It would be could if you could click on a .USS file and have that file load up the save state, such as in WinUAE.
It is slightly complicated, as FS-UAE has config which is not stored in the save state itself. So for the foreseeable future, FS-UAE probably will not support this.

Quote:
7. When FS-UAE loads up or when you boot from a save-state, it would look smooth if there was a fade-in effect. I see that you have implemented a fade-out effect when you quit the emulator.
I actually did this a while ago . Check out the development version -It only does it on startup btw, I guess it could be somewhat annoying with save states if the state loads right into some heavy action.

Quote:
Thanks again for making FS-UAE. I am really enjoying it and its now my Amiga emulator of choice.
Glad to hear it
Old 17 December 2013, 14:27   #51
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

Thanks very much for your responses Frode. I'll test out those tips you have provided.

Re point 2, yes the screen appears after about 5 seconds, it's just that the screen is initially black but the sound is playing and things are happening in the game (you can just can't initially see it).

Update: when I used the restore-state code you provided me above with the hotkey, the save state loaded instantly. But when I load a save state by clicking on my config file (which instructs FSUAE to load the save state by using load_state = 1) the screen is black with the game music playing in the background for 5 seconds.

Last edited by twenty90seven; 17 December 2013 at 14:44.
Old 22 January 2014, 23:43   #52
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
When I used the restore-state code you provided me above with the hotkey, the save state loaded instantly. But when I load a save state by clicking on my config file (which instructs FSUAE to load the save state by using load_state = 1) the screen is black with the game music playing in the background for 5 seconds.
I haven't been able to reproduce this, it loads fine here (the screen fades in while loading). Perhaps there is some issue with the fade-in itself? You can try to set fade_in_duration = 0.
Old 23 January 2014, 00:01   #53
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

A new beta version has been released. Changes in FS-UAE 2.3.99beta2 ("FS-UAE 2.4 Beta 2"):
  • Inhibit screen saver / power saving when running FS-UAE on OS X.
  • (Launcher) Adult filter for game database, enabled by default.
  • (Launcher) Use search term tag:adult to show adult games.
  • (Launcher) New option database_show_adult to show adult games by default.
  • (Launcher) Can search for quoted words to require exact word match.
  • (Launcher) Fixed some translated strings used incorrectly.
  • (Launcher) Updated translations: pl [grimi], fi [Goingdown], it [Speedvicio].
  • (Arcade) On Linux, only set FS-UAE fullscreen mode to window if is not specifically set to anything (allows fullscreen_mode = fullscreen).

Please see the preliminary release notes for FS-UAE 2.4 for information about what’s new if you are upgrading from FS-UAE 2.2.x.
Old 23 January 2014, 01:19   #54
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

If I install it will it keep all my previous game settings and saved folders (Open Amiga Game Database/game list) including the set up EOB2 profile that I did? As the last time I installed a dev kit everything was erased.
Old 23 January 2014, 01:22   #55
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Nothing will be lost - but you will need to log into OAGD.net again and rescan your files when upgrading from 2.2.x.
Old 23 January 2014, 08:20   #56
grimi

Hi, Frode. I noticed a bug in launcher (pyqt4) with multiple selecting floppy disk requester.
This requester not adds any disk to list, but some errors messages appears in fs-launcher.log (attached).
Attached Files
File Type: txt fs-uae-launcher.log.txt (9.6 KB, 530 views)
Old 23 January 2014, 19:01   #57
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

@grimi thanks, I have fixed it for the next version (I thought I had already tested with pyqt4 too, but I must accidentally and tested with pyside both times...)
Old 23 January 2014, 20:02   #58
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Nothing will be lost - but you will need to log into OAGD.net again and rescan your files when upgrading from 2.2.x.
Nice one, thankyou
Old 23 January 2014, 20:35   #59
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Unpacked the portable files over the old version and ran the new launcher, everything has vanished with all my settings.

However the old launcher which is in the launcher folder has all my settings still intact!

hmm

EDIT : Did as you said and it's rescanning files and config from game database, is it safe to delete the old launcher folder?
Old 23 January 2014, 20:45   #60
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

As I said, upgrading never deletes your stuff, but I cannot comment your case without more details. For example, if you downloaded the portable version and previously used the installer - the user file locations will not be the same (not even the settings), since obviously, the point of the portable version is that it is self-contained. Your old files from the installed FS-UAE will be in Documents/FS-UAE, while the portable version uses files from the directory where you extracted it.

I cannot comment on the safety of deleting a folder without knowing more about which folder you are referring to...