English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 12 May 2017, 21:36   #1
Photon

Huge appreciation for your work :)

I just realized how a team can make such a huge difference in documenting all the Amiga games and just logged on to say that

It was brought up by someone asking how many games were made for the Amiga, and I did some research from different angles. Will post about that too
Old 02 October 2017, 17:53   #2
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I just realized how a team can make such a huge difference in documenting all the Amiga games and just logged on to say that
Well, I've been meaning to respond to your post of appreciation for a few months now.....but I've only been reminded again of your post because, ironically, I just logged on tonight to let another EAB peep know that the game he requested is now in HOL. At this point, all I can say is thank you very much for taking the time to let us know that you enjoy HOL!!

Just to give people here a bit of insight into how much work HOL is, I'm going to provide a few stats on what the HOL team has achieved over the last 12 months. It's no secret that we've been low on manpower for more than a few years now. Over the last 12-18 months it's been pretty much just hipponios and myself shouldering the load with HOL entries, with invaluable support from CodyJarrett (processing of scans + other contributions upped to the HOL FTP server), clenched (game maps/cheats/screenshots, FTP uploads) and dlfrsilver/ED-209 (scans/minor HOL updates).

Despite being low on manpower, we've still managed over 8500 updates to the HOL database over the last 12 months (i.e. an average of 24 updates per day). Amongst other things, the updates to HOL have included:

- a massive 8500+ screenshots (again, that's about 24 new screenshots per day!)
- over 100 new game entries
- about 500 box/disk/miscshot scans processed; and
- a staggering 850 new game maps

Quote:
It was brought up by someone asking how many games were made for the Amiga, and I did some research from different angles. Will post about that too
Was the question just about commercial games on the Amiga, or shareware/PD too? So what were your research findings?! Enquiring minds want to know!!

Last edited by DrBong; 03 October 2017 at 09:34. Reason: Added info + fixed typo!
Old 03 November 2017, 10:10   #3
Master484

Quote:
It's no secret that we've been low on manpower for more than a few years now.
If you need more HOL staff, then I think I could be of some help.

Although I'm not sure how active member I would be, but I would just mainly want to be able to upload my own scans and screenshots directly to HOL, and maybe edit game informations and add new games too, instead of always asking someone else to do it.

I just noticed that most of the manuals that I Zoned in February have not yet been added, and also the missing Blitz/AMOS quickmatch tags that I made a list of are still missing. And now I got some new game boxes waiting to be scanned, and hundreds of old screenshots too, that I took last year, but haven't uploaded them yet because doing that would mean giving lots of extra work for someone else, and Hipoonios and Clenched have already put over 1000 points worth of my stuff into HOL, so I don't have the heart to ask for more.

So maybe it would be best if I became a HOL "super contributor" so that I could do all this stuff myself?