English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 05 November 2017, 18:45   #1641
prowler
Global Moderator

Thanks for posting that summary of the thinking behind the recent changes, Turran.

Now everyone can see just how much consideration was given to all users of the File Server facility before the final decisions were made.

Let's hope that discourages any more derogatory comments.
Old 05 November 2017, 20:14   #1642
Superman

As far as I can see logging in is a small price to pay in order to gain access to the best Amiga archive on the net imo. It’s a great resource for all of us Amiga fans and most of all it’s FREE. I certainly don’t take it for granted and I can only thank Turran and all others involved with maintaining it.
Old 05 November 2017, 20:54   #1643
1time
Amiga Lover

As long as the FTP is still here im happy. If you can take the time to login to the forum you can sure do the same in your ftp client.
Old 05 November 2017, 22:19   #1644
fatbob_gb

How about adding "EAB Donator" to the criteria for getting an ftp login account? It might prevent pointless posts (like this one) and raise a few more pennies in support of the running or the board?
Old 05 November 2017, 23:37   #1645
DamienD
Banned

Donations directly to Turran for his continued service / hard work for our community, are listed on the 1st post of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magix View Post
If you feel that you would like to donate (although totally not necessary) then please use this PayPal address: eab "AT" grandis.nu

Kindly hosted by Turran.
...and also specified on the EAB Registration page at the bottom (2nd last line)
Old 06 November 2017, 00:09   #1646
nzlpoa

Can the FTP page be updated to include "mirror anonymous access only" which is limited to 500k ?

Last edited by nzlpoa; 06 November 2017 at 01:06.
Old 06 November 2017, 03:03   #1647
DannyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzlpoa View Post
Can the FTP page be updated to include "mirror anonymous access only" which is limited to 500k ?
Would be a reasonable update I think. Bandwidth is not limited, but logins are to one per IP address. It was necessary restriction, but I sure hope it's the last one.
Old 06 November 2017, 05:02   #1648
uqhasx

is it possible to reduce the limit of Time out on mirror?

Reason why i ask, is if u add to queue, disconnect, then transfer (as per one ip). when it finishes, the server doesn't release it immediately,, therefore when u try to login after transfers completed/disconnected you hit the "limit" and must wait a few.

Old 06 November 2017, 12:04   #1649
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uqhasx View Post
is it possible to reduce the limit of Time out on mirror?

Reason why i ask, is if u add to queue, disconnect, then transfer (as per one ip). when it finishes, the server doesn't release it immediately,, therefore when u try to login after transfers completed/disconnected you hit the "limit" and must wait a few.
Hm, just use a real ftpclient and configure it to only use one logon. I suspect you have FileZilla or something which ( I think ) defaults to using 2 logins so that you can keep browsing while you download/upload. That does not work with only one allowed login so just reconfigure FileZilla to only use 1 login.
Old 06 November 2017, 12:17   #1650
DannyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
Hm, just use a real ftpclient and configure it to only use one logon. I suspect you have FileZilla or something which ( I think ) defaults to using 2 logins so that you can keep browsing while you download/upload. That does not work with only one allowed login so just reconfigure FileZilla to only use 1 login.
Thanks

@uqhasx:
Yeah, I believe problem is something like Turran described. I have no way to run any tests myself right now.
Old 06 November 2017, 13:06   #1651
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
I hate it. It has Google in it. I never had an issue with DL speed, 500k/sec is okay. 20 k is almost like dropping the connection.
Quote:
So register an account and get the full speed, unrestricted... I don't see the problem?

<snipped>

I honestly thought people would be happy to register an account and use that instead to get rid of the 500k/sec limit, but I guess I was wrong. Either you are to lazy to do so or you do not see the benefits from it. I'm simply trying to find a way to save the bandwidth for the EAB members instead of all the people who found the link to the FTP somewhere else and have no interest in the EAB community.
Quote:
Well, I see the banhammer was struck, but I'll respond anyway since I do have reasons for all you've posted.

<snipped>
Unfortunately the more you try to accommodate ungrateful leeches in this modern day and age of ours, the more you will be crucified for your efforts (no matter how arduous they are, more's the pity! ).

If they only knew how it worked in the old days of the BBS scene and earlier days of the net for Amiga FTP sites. I bet having to deal with ratio accounts (i.e. no d/l's without upping first, for those who don't know) or paying for leech accounts every month would be absolutely eye-opening stuff for these overprivileged ingrates!

Personally, my only worry with any changes being made was how they would affect HOL users......as I've linked to the EAB FTP server and mirror for quite a few games that have legal downloads in HOL. I didn't think I had much to worry about and I'm glad you confirmed my suspicions that you were a nice guy!

I think you've been very fair and level-headed in how you approached all of this, so you have my congratulations on a job well done!
Old 06 November 2017, 13:09   #1652
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
I think you've been very fair and level-headed in how you approached all of this, so you have my congratulations on a job well done!
Appreciate it =)
Old 06 November 2017, 13:18   #1653
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
Personally, my only worry with any changes being made was how they would affect HOL users......as I've linked to the EAB FTP server and mirror for quite a few games that have legal downloads in HOL. I didn't think I had much to worry about and I'm glad you confirmed my suspicions that you were a nice guy!
I'm sure Turran could create a "HOL" FTP account for you to use on HOL etc.
Old 06 November 2017, 13:26   #1654
DH
Global Moderator

I too think you have accommodated everything that is conceivably possible to make the EAB File Server worthy for all

There'll always be disgruntled, unappreciative and ungrateful users that have absolutely no idea as to the work involved, the time, and the whole effort needed to offer this kind of service to everyone for free.

I applaud everyone that has made the EAB File Server, mirrors and everything else that has had to be done, into one of the biggest Amiga databases in the whole of the Amiga community
Old 06 November 2017, 13:36   #1655
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I'm sure Turran could create a "HOL" FTP account for you to use on HOL etc.
Of course, that is an option. Just have to figure out the rules for it. If it gets out, people will just start using that instead of "ftp" to bypass the 50k/sec rule...
Old 06 November 2017, 16:42   #1656
DannyBoy

Quote:
Of course, that is an option. Just have to figure out the rules for it. If it gets out, people will just start using that instead of "ftp" to bypass the 50k/sec rule...
Wasn't there something like "SITE IP <user> <address>" for normal accounts in glFTPd? Might be a solution for this. BTW, not trying to be smartass You if anyone is the glFTPd expert here.
Old 06 November 2017, 17:40   #1657
s2325
Zone Friend

Now I can't download anything by using Internet Explorer, there is always popup window with login and password.
Old 06 November 2017, 17:47   #1658
DamienD
Banned

Did you do this s2325?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If using a web browser, here's the required syntax to paste into the address bar:

Code:
ftp://username:password@grandis.nu/
Obviously, from the above, replace:

username = <your username>
password = <whatever you set when creating the FTP account>
Old 06 November 2017, 17:57   #1659
s2325
Zone Friend

sure, no change, it's only from today
Old 06 November 2017, 17:59   #1660
DamienD
Banned