English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 August 2015, 00:24   #1
Cyangmou

Tower 57 - Dystopian Dieselpunk Topdown Shooter

Hello EAB Comm,

I am new in those forums and stumbled over them, as I searched through the net to find people who love Amiga-styled-games, run'n'guns and pixel art, therefore not 100% sure if this is the right place to post, if not it'd be great if one of the mods could move it to the fitting board.

I wanted to tell you about the project I am developing with Benitosub - TOwer 57.

a short introduction:
My name is Thomas, I am a pixel-artist and animator and I spend the last 2 years with work on various game projects, I am also a mod at Pixelation, a pixelart forum.
Marco aka Benitosub is a coder, who has ~12 years of coding experience, and of course a huge Amiga lover.

About a year ago we both started in our sparetime with developing a prototype for a new PC/Mac/Linux game, with the ultimative goal to create something which has the style of 90's Topdown Run'n'Guns, but gameplay according to todays standards.
Benitosub describes it as "The lovechild of The Chaos Engine and Alien Breed", although a lot of my personal preferences (which are mostly SNES and GBA games) flew in too and the result after a year is our project Tower 57.

Tower 57 is a shooter, which plays in a dystopian art deco - cyberpunk world.
Humans live in huge megatowers, surrounded by radioactive wastelands. Choose your mercenary, get in Tower57 and stop them from invading your hometower.

what makes the gameplay special?
-different weapons which will play out differently and interact with the environment
-emergent gameplay - simple rules lead to complex results,
e.g.: fire burns wood, electricity travels down the path with the least resistance, enemies form swarms and hunt you down.
-co-op modus: in the co-op modus friends can combine their weapons and gain benefit through new strategies. A second player can join the game at any given time
-art - we took inspiration from a lot of our favorite games, mixed in the stuff we really love and also came up with an artstyle which looks sharp and polished on a CRT monitor and takes advantage of modern tech, while being reminiscent of the style of the Amiga.

You can watch our trailer in 1080p here:
[ Show youtube player ]

While I hate cheap advertisment and I really hope this post don't comes off as "cheap", I have to mention at this point, that we have started a Kickstarter campaign (where you can get many more informations presented in a clear way - especially in the updates. Or you check out our Devlog at TIGsource) since Kickstarter opened up for Germany and we are currently looking for funds to focus on the development full-time.
Without funds it simply might take a very long time that we can finish this project. If you like what you see, consider supporting us there, or on Steam Greenlight.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask and I will try to answer them.

2 of our weapons:

Sawblade: bounces off of walls and can chop off limbs
Harpoon: Can pin enemies to walls and push them from platforms

Destruction:

a lot of structures in the game can be destroyed by simply shooting them:

A few conceptarts:

And some screenshots:

Last edited by Cyangmou; 23 January 2016 at 01:39.
Old 10 August 2015, 01:34   #2
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Welcome!

Indie Retro News has been following you right from the very start, as soon as you mentioned the game with gifs . We also madly plugged your game through our social media network and even mentioned it here

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/0...oter-aims.html

Good luck guys, I want you to succeed
Old 10 August 2015, 02:11   #3
Cyangmou

Hey Neil,

Yeah now as you mention it I saw you recommending Tower in another thread, couldn't find that anymore, otherwise I also would have linked it.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope I don't look too much like one of the evil advertisment bots ^^'
Old 10 August 2015, 02:20   #4
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

As far as I'm concerned you're welcome everywhere!

On that note, goodnight
Old 10 August 2015, 06:24   #5
thgill

Looks awesome! Would love to see this on something like Wii U.
Old 10 August 2015, 11:41   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I backed it as soon as Tim Wright (musician of Shadow of the Beast2&3, Wipeout etc.) mentioned it on his facebook page.

I am really looking forward to it.
Old 10 August 2015, 14:59   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Good that you posted this, I learned about this game through EpicNameBro's channel and just forgot to share it entirely.

[ Show youtube player ]

Long story short: this game looks flipping amazing.
Old 10 August 2015, 20:06   #8
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Backed few days ago
Old 11 August 2015, 00:24   #9
Marcuz

Hey Cyangmou! Nice to see you here too! Good luck with the crowdfunding!
Old 11 August 2015, 01:43   #10
Cyangmou

Quote:
Originally Posted by thgill View Post
Looks awesome! Would love to see this on something like Wii U.
If we get enough funds to get on a console, we definitely will ask all our backers which ones they prefer. But our first objective is to gether enough funds to make the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I backed it as soon as Tim Wright (musician of Shadow of the Beast2&3, Wipeout etc.) mentioned it on his facebook page.

I am really looking forward to it.
I searched for that on FB, but couldn#t find it. If you could provide me the link it would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Good that you posted this, I learned about this game through EpicNameBro's channel and just forgot to share it entirely.

[ Show youtube player ]

Long story short: this game looks flipping amazing.
Thanks a lot. Yeah ENB really helped us out and brought us even by now about 25% of the overall traffic, which is huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Backed few days ago
Thanks a lot for helping us to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
Hey Cyangmou! Nice to see you here too! Good luck with the crowdfunding!
Thanks a lot =)
Old 11 August 2015, 10:03   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyangmou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
I searched for that on FB, but couldn't find it. If you could provide me the link it would be awesome.
https://www.facebook.com/coldstorage...53619940263313
Old 11 August 2015, 11:42   #12
Cyangmou

Thanks a lot for the Link =)
Old 11 August 2015, 23:03   #13
eXeler0

Backed them, looks great
Old 11 August 2015, 23:16   #14
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

The game looks great. I like the games logo too, but the '57' doesn't stand out for me... I struggle to read the numbers - anyone else feel the same way?

I look forward to see the finished game in action, whatever platforms it is released on
Old 12 August 2015, 21:29   #15
Cyangmou

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Backed them, looks great
thanks a lot, we really appreciate it that you help us make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
The game looks great. I like the games logo too, but the '57' doesn't stand out for me... I struggle to read the numbers - anyone else feel the same way?

I look forward to see the finished game in action, whatever platforms it is released on
yeah I get what you mean, might overwork it at a later point. Atm there are more important things to do, but I noted it =)
Thanks a lot.
Old 14 August 2015, 00:05   #16
Cyangmou

Hey Guys,

double posting here, because there are some important news just for you.

An image explains more:

As Benitosub explained in Update #10(click to get there):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benitosub
And finally the third announcement is one that is even more special for me. As the machine that got me into programming, the Amiga holds a very special place in my heart ^_^
I honestly didn’t think an AmigaOS4 port would ever work out though, considering the amount of work the base game will already require, the tight deadline, and so on.
However…
We are looking into other ways to make this happen I can’t say more just yet, and we’re still completely in the preliminary “hey how’s it going” stages, and this would come post release anyway, so absolutely no guarantee yet - I can’t stress that enough - but… I couldn’t resist asking Cyangmou to make this:

Old 14 August 2015, 01:22   #17
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Amazing work and one of the best pixel art I've seen in recent years! Way to go guys!

Old 14 August 2015, 01:29   #18
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Old 14 August 2015, 19:28   #19
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

ECS port or idd not happen :P (kidding, however an AGA demake should be feasible by third parties)
Old 20 August 2015, 02:18   #20
Cyangmou

@Tsak: thanks a lot, now we only need to make it happen. But we just broke through 27k so it's still possible =)

@Saimon69: well ports are currently in far distance, but you can help us to make it happen - see this update.

so guys, we are currently trying to drive more support to the campaign. If you can help us on social networks it would be awesome:

Tower57 Facebook page
Tower57 Twitter
Tower57 Kickstarter

We also have that funny competition going on, that you will get something for your support:

while Grummz (producer of Diablo 2 and Starcraft) sponsored a special gift for reaching 2 goals,
The gift for unlocking 3 achievements will be available to all backers (and I hope all of you love T-Rex mounts)

Photographs mean: Photographs: take a picture of yourself with a retro computer / console, and post it on our Facebook page so we can share it with all our backers! (don't forget to let us know by PM or mail).

That's something you'd be really good at I guess. ALso feel free to share this to other Amiga boards.