English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 October 2011, 05:26   #21
ricky500

I'm using an A1200 configuration in WINUAE. I'm having trouble getting Amos Pro to install correctly to a hard drive. I use the installer to install, and it installs the files to hard drive - but when I go to open the main AMOS program - it gives an error to run install.amos first.
Old 05 October 2011, 06:58   #22
fishyfish
Banned

@DJay

Basically the performance of (Win)UAE means that without waiting for screen refreshes things will update inbetween frames being drawn, so by the time the screen physically updates a game loop will have been executed many times (including updating of sprite/bob/screen/etc. positions). This creates the illusion of things moving quickly (although in reality its sort of akin to moving graphics in huge steps(not exactly accurate, but for conversations sake it should get the idea across)).

To fix it simply wait for a vertical blank (use "Wait VBL X" in your code).
Old 05 October 2011, 18:31   #23
Djay
95th User

@fishyfish

Yeah using wait vbl, and using it for each "frame" (this was discussed in a different thread about "Amos clock" or suchlike)
Old 05 October 2011, 19:34   #24
fishyfish
Banned

Ah, ok. I dont often visit EAB so mustve missed that thread. If you happen to have a link I'd be interested to read it.

Although I favor BlitzBasic/Amiblitz (or C when need be) I still really enjoy AMOS. It's simply a lot of fun to use, plus I get a kick out of seeing what sorts of results can be obtained within a "limited" environment (I guess not too dissimilar to why people enjoy 4K/64K demo contests and similar).

I dont know if I'll ever get around to it, but Ive always liked the idea of trying to make a game with AMOS that goes somewhat beyond what people would expect from AMOS. Not to say AMOS is magically going to be more powerful in my hands, but there are some game styles that AMOS could do quite reasonably, especially written assuming something like an a1200 + fast ram as base spec. Something Zelda-ish, a Pinball game, an RTS, and many other games styles where a lot of quick moving graphics arent essential.

There seems to be a few people that still play around with AMOS though, I wonder if there'd be much interest in a collaberative effort between people, perhaps even using some sort of open source model so people can be as involved, or not as they like. It'd hardly set the world alight, but could be fun, and may even pleasntly surpise some people

Anyway, sorry for the little bit off topic-ness, I just started getting a bit nostalgic thinking about this stuff
Old 05 October 2011, 20:04   #25
Djay
95th User

It would be great to start up an Amos project, there are a couple of game projects in progress.. But the community deserve some new games to play

I have a project underway right now, but the graphics guy seems to be busy on a different project... I could pm what I have so far, but it's gonna take some imagination to understand what the finished project will look like...
Old 05 October 2011, 22:29   #26
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Ah, ok. I dont often visit EAB so mustve missed that thread. If you happen to have a link I'd be interested to read it.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=59896

re-reading the thread makes me wonder how i ever managed to write programs in amos...

how i am using the method to include about 5 timers/counter in one loop

Last edited by Djay; 05 October 2011 at 22:40.
Old 07 April 2015, 14:04   #27
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

I just rediscovered this thread today as I sit with an Amos Pro manual on my lap (and the music from Turrican II playing in my ears) still flirting with learning Amos pro.
I now have 3 1200s, one with a much needed hard-drive, I have ordered a C.F card and reader too and hopefully I can get things moving on making a simple game.

The thing is, and this is properly lol-worthy, I honestly don't even know the basic structure for a program in basic..it's silly that I would even look to try this I am sure, as my speciality lies in art and graphics but I meet a lot of people new to art and I take them under my wing and help them where I can and get a kick out of when they show me their work..I guess this is the same.

I am determined to not get disheartened by the complexity of even the most basic programs haha, I saw machine code once and wondered how the hell that even works!

I am still very interested in the Amiga scene and specifically creating games for it.