English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 June 2016, 07:27   #81
tomcat666
Retro Freak

My QL will go directly into the display case as soon as we move... it is a beautfull piece of history, unfortunetly not very usefull on a desk even for nostalgic reasons
Old 09 June 2016, 16:22   #82
Sandro
Banned

hello I'm interested in these QL games

match point
psion chess
jungle

where I can download them?
Old 11 June 2016, 01:28   #83
Hiddenevil

Sandro have you been following this thread for long? Because I think it was establish early on, that only PD games are readily available for the QL. Any of the commercial software that came out for the QL, is either lost to history or now relicensed under RWAP. Personally I find the pricing of software for the QL surprisingly steep compared to the Spectrum, Beeb and C64. All of which have software being released for them now, either for free or for a small fee. Let's face it you make games for these old machines for fun, not to make a profit. I was very tempted to buy a box of 10 games from RWAP, until I read that they would only work via an emulator and not on a real QL.

I've met many helpful people in the QL community, who have a passion in keeping the interest alive for these machines. However because it is a small user base, there will always be those who seek to profit from its esoteric status. Which will only put off new users, like it has done me. So it's really hurting the community, just glad Speccy and Amiga users aren't like that.

What's the point in shelling out for new hardware, when there's nothing to run on it but pd games and the suite Psion released with Quill, Abacus ect.

I cant recommend this site highly enough
http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/games/index.html

Last edited by prowler; 01 July 2016 at 22:47. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 11 June 2016, 01:58   #84
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Sinclair QL emulator? what's the point?

Don't do it, Toni.
Old 11 June 2016, 14:24   #85
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddenevil View Post
Sandro have you been following this thread for long? Because I think it was establish early on, that only PD games are readily available for the QL. Any of the commercial software that came out for the QL, is either lost to history or now relicensed under RWAP. Personally I find the pricing of software for the QL surprisingly steep compared to the Spectrum, Beeb and C64. All of which have software being released for them now, either for free or for a small fee. Let's face it you make games for these old machines for fun, not to make a profit. I was very tempted to buy a box of 10 games from RWAP, until I read that they would only work via an emulator and not on a real QL.

I've met many helpful people in the QL community, who have a passion in keeping the interest alive for these machines. However because it is a small user base, there will always be those who seek to profit from its esoteric status. Which will only put off new users, like it has done me. So it's really hurting the community, just glad Speccy and Amiga users aren't like that.

What's the point in shelling out for new hardware, when there's nothing to run on it but pd games and the suite Psion released with Quill, Abacus ect.
yes I know about these retro gold diggers that's because I'm asking for these games
and the link you are posting any retard can find in 1 second in google, don't have commercial games

I have the games psion chess and match point in IMG format , I don't remember where I downloaded long time ago, both works in qemulator but you must make a real 720k floppy to make them work in the sharware version
I never could find the cracked version of qemulator or a keyfile for it, the full version of qemulator allow games to play via img

regarding winuae, I have a QLrom here, I select A4000 config then QL boots OK
now what?
how I can load QL games in winuae ?
Old 11 June 2016, 19:28   #86
Locutus

No, its only for running 'OS Friendly' software.
Old 13 June 2016, 11:47   #87
Hiddenevil

Putting QL software back to floppy is relatively easy and Qemulator isn't required to achieve it.

If it is commercial software you're after, you'll have to buy it legally from RWAP. As he holds the copyright for a lot of what was released on the QL. The site you so abhorrently rejected, is probably the best place to acquire free programs.

Also Daniele Terdina has released Qemulator at shareware, so why not support him by actually buying his software.
Old 13 June 2016, 13:43   #88
AnnaWu

The Sinclair QL emulation for the Amiga is very poor and has nothing to do with WinUAE.
Old 14 June 2016, 04:31   #89
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Why is this in the WinUAE support thread anyway?
Old 14 June 2016, 16:00   #90
Hiddenevil

Based on the first few posts, I'd say someone was playing with code for a QL emulator and trying to run it through WinUAE.
Old 14 June 2016, 19:06   #91
Locutus

No its not, its a port of a QL OS (there are several, its confusing) to the Amiga.

Think of it like EmuTOS or booting Linux.

It seems it was used by some hardcore QL users in the early 90s who wanted faster hardware to run their SuperBASIC and other QL OS friendly software on.

The code was later reused as the basis for the OS for the Q60 (a baby AT format 68060 machine for running QL software, probably the simplest 060 machine ever).
Old 15 June 2016, 02:20   #92
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
No its not, its a port of a QL OS (there are several, its confusing) to the Amiga.

Think of it like EmuTOS or booting Linux.
Then this is the wrong thread. It should be moved to "Amiga scene".
Old 15 June 2016, 16:34   #93
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Putting QL software back to floppy is relatively easy and Qemulator isn't required to achieve it.

If it is commercial software you're after, you'll have to buy it legally from RWAP. As he holds the copyright for a lot of what was released on the QL. The site you so abhorrently rejected, is probably the best place to acquire free programs.

Also Daniele Terdina has released Qemulator at shareware, so why not support him by actually buying his software.
because I don't support gold diggers
there are better emulators out there which took much more time to be developed as winuae,mame, ppsspp, znes etc are free, I will not be paying 45$ for this crap
Old 15 June 2016, 20:43   #94
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
there are better emulators out there which took much more time to be developed as winuae,mame, ppsspp, znes etc are free, I will not be paying 45$ for this crap
Just because some are free does not mean they all have to be. Making emulators is hard, and if a developer wants to be compensated for his work, why should he not be?
Old 15 June 2016, 23:04   #95
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Just because some are free does not mean they all have to be. Making emulators is hard, and if a developer wants to be compensated for his work, why should he not be?
^ this.

If some emulator authors choose to do it for free, kudos and thank you.

But if some choose to charge for something that has taken them time and effort, then that is their right, just as its everyones right to not pay for it and use something else.

Hardly gold digging.
Old 28 June 2016, 08:23   #96
Outsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Daniele Terdina make good things in QL emuLation

Well as you advice me on WOS forum I post here the links of our starting QL preservation project:

http://www.hunggartorino.it/ql/ql-mi...-preservation/

&

https://sinclairql.wordpress.com

If some would help will be very appreciated.

Best regards to all.

Old 28 June 2016, 11:15   #97
Locutus

I dont mean to be dismissive or rude, but it would really help if your blog for this would be in english.

You can be very very sure that most people interested in QL software cant read Italian and thus your outreach for receiving submissions etc becomes much smaller.
Old 28 June 2016, 14:53   #98
Outsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
I dont mean to be dismissive or rude, but it would really help if your blog for this would be in english.

You can be very very sure that most people interested in QL software cant read Italian and thus your outreach for receiving submissions etc becomes much smaller.
Is just a first kind of Blog that we will totally change in the future

Now we are concentrated on the preservation that is a very HARD work.

The list is daily updated by MaxRaf (SupaMax).

Thanks for the interesting

--Simon

Old 28 June 2016, 20:09   #99
RWAP

Yet again I feel that people attack me for my efforts over the years in ensuring that software remains available for QL users.

Yes I charge for software which is not freeware - I have a living to make and RWAP Software is not just a hobby - as well as paying my household bills, the profits are used to bring out new products which benefit the whole of the retro community (it costs £1000s to bring out a new production run of keyboard membranes for example).

I don't have money left over for annual holidays but yet people on here seem to class me as greedy - just because I do not spend all of my time doing retro work for nothing.

Maybe you should stop and think that maybe it is the reason why I still remain supporting the QL after 30 years long after all of the other traders have stopped. I could of course just decide to stop supporting the QL flog off my machines and software and then watch the QL market die completely for lack of replacement parts.

By the way - where else can you buy a fully working, boxed QL for less than £150 ? Oh but yes I am that greedy so and so that you don't want to support and would rather buy second hand stuff off ebay at 3-4 times the price from people who won't support you or answer any questions, let alone promise the computer or software works.

Anyway enough ranting - you can either buy from me, or not that is up to you - to be honest, I don't care. You can moan as much as you like, but I adhere to copyright laws and so only software where permission has been granted will be released by me.

People continue moaning about the perceived 'lack' of commercial software to freely download (pirated) on the web. The best resource, as already linked to on the site is Dilwyn Jones' Sinclair QL Homepage.

Privately I could see a need to preserve as much QL software as possible and to try to contact copyright holders; with my own preservation project started in 2007.

See http://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.p...art=150#p13485 for details of where this project now stands - the copyright holders for over 120 previously commercial titles have agreed for them to be made available as freeware as a direct result of me tracking them down and contacting them.

A large number of those titles are games.

Unfortunately, a lot of those titles are still missing in action, protected or corrupt.

Alas all I get is moaning; people thinking I own the rights to ALL QL software and people wanting to pirate the software which I do sell commercially.

So, as a result of all of this moaning - I have been annoyed by the moaners and decided to halt my preservation activities. A shame, and a huge loss to the QL community, as I will not be able to release any more freeware titles.

It is about time the QL community actually realised that there is a lot of work to do to preserve QL software and get it released as freeware. To do that, the community needs to work together and get involved - instead of just waiting for someone else to do it for them.

Respect copyright holders' decisions and if you won't pay for titles which still remain available commercially then don't expect them to be made freeware.

Instead concentrate on the 100s of titles where they are not currently available - see what you can do to track down the copyright holders and contact them. It is a lot of work but worth it.
Old 28 June 2016, 20:11   #100
RWAP

Quote:
I've met many helpful people in the QL community, who have a passion in keeping the interest alive for these machines. However because it is a small user base, there will always be those who seek to profit from its esoteric status. Which will only put off new users, like it has done me.
If you can tell me how to make a profit from the QL hardware and software - please do tell as no-one has made a profit so far as I know from QL related sales for 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
Q-emuLator is by far the best emulator to use to play original QL software - Daniele Terdina spends a lot of time ensuring that it is as compatible as possible with original software and there are always anomalies which show up which result in new changes being required.

If you don't want to pay for q-emulator, then use it as a limited QL - you still have access to the majority of features.

Otherwise take a look at QPC2 - a great emulator which has recently been made freeware (but with less support from the author). It can work with some original QL programs if you set it up to run in 512x256 pixels, QL colour mode.

You can also look at UQLX and even the Amiga based QL emulators listed on the Sinclair QL Homepage - http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/emu/index.html

Last edited by prowler; 28 June 2016 at 22:09. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use multi-quote.