English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 November 2007, 12:37   #1
VermillioN

Last minute advice on my a4000

Well I'm about ready to give up on my a4000.
I've spent so much money on it this year... so I'm really not sure if I want to fork out another ton of money sending to amiga repair centre. Besides, if my luck continues as it has, it will be un-fixable and I'll be left with yet another bill..
(excuse my whining lol.. I'm just really fed up with this..)

If anyone can offer some last minute advice before I either sell the lot, or send it to france it would be much appreciated.

I'm sure some of you remember my previous posts.. I'll try to keep it brief.

- I was having trouble with green screens and SFS.. which magically in time seemed to fix itself.
- Then my new Picasso IV had a few minor flaws.
- After a few months of use the machine suddenly fails to boot. Green and yellow screens everytime, then eventually it would just repeatedly reset.
- I tried reseating/cleaning/etc plenty of times.
- Bought another mainboard off fleabay which turned out to be faulty. (The previous owner emailed me and declared it as dead.. amiga repair centre could not even fix it. It was said to just boot to a grey screen.)
- I hooked up this new 'dead' board, and to my surprise, it produced the same results as my original board! (green/yellow screens/resetting).
- I was convinced at HAD to be the PSU.
- I just recieved a new PSU from Germany which cost me over $100..
- You guessed it... same thing
- It reset itself for a while and now it just results in a grey screen every time. The LED does not even blink. Upon CTRL-A-A caps lock led flashes once briefly, then nothing. After a reset I can switch the caps on and off for about 3 seconds - then it dies.

Sorry about the mess above

Old 02 November 2007, 14:03   #2
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
flaky chip ram socket ? did you try booting while pushing the chip ram gently in its place ? dead CPU card ? which board do you have ?

Last edited by coze; 02 November 2007 at 14:11.
Old 02 November 2007, 14:17   #3
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Sorry to hear your woes.

I realise Australia is a very big place but I guess your best bet is to find someone helpful with a known working A4000 & spend an afternoon swaping components until you find the culprit.
Failing that post the main unit to someone with a working 4000 who will do so for you. ( if you can stand to spend any more money on it )
Old 02 November 2007, 14:25   #4
keropi

yeah, better check chipram and cpu card... also check the int/ext jumpers under the cpu card...
Old 02 November 2007, 15:00   #5
VermillioN

Both boards are revB and I tried pushing the chip ram socket with 2 working simms. The thing is, with the chip ram removed, it still stays at a grey screen, not green!
I've also tried exchanging rom's, buster's, psu's, memory, cpu's and I'm still getting more grey than a retirement village..

Also no difference whatsoever if a cpu is attached or not.. i've tested with both my 040 and 030. My old friend is back -- Mr Grey

The jumpers are set correctly

Last edited by VermillioN; 02 November 2007 at 15:07.

Old 02 November 2007, 16:42   #6
BinoX
Miggy Man

Just to make sure... you DO have the zorro daughterboard attached while ur testing it? A4000 motherboards don't like booting without it...
Old 02 November 2007, 18:27   #7
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
there's a guy in new zealand who does a4000 repairs too, maybe it's cheaper and quicker than to send to france for you.

http://amiga.serveftp.net/
Old 03 November 2007, 01:34   #8
VermillioN

@BinoX:
Yup tried it with and without daughterboard.. same result.

@coze:
ahh really!
Cheers neva knew that

Old 03 November 2007, 01:46   #9
jimbo100

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermillioN View Post
@BinoX:
Yup tried it with and without daughterboard.. same result.

@coze:
ahh really!
Cheers neva knew that
Yes I have used the NZ fellow to fix one of my A4000 boards. Very good job, cost about $100NZ to fix.

I'd look at a new mainboard myself!
Old 05 November 2007, 15:55   #10
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

One thing you could try if you know how is to check all of the voltage levels while the computer is running (e.g. using a multimeter). If you don't know what you're doing, then only on the external ports (although A4000D may not have any live wires outside psu as power switch is push-rod type).

Many voltages can be checked very carefully (not to short pins) at the mouse/serial ports using a multimeter.

Also, maybe the battery voltage has gone low? Can try removing the battery altogether if it is low (although low voltage may only mean the time is not remembered).

The keyboard on my A4000T stopped working when the +5v_user line supplied to it was less than 5volts. Also, I think the number of blinks of the keyboard light may be important.

But best solution of course is find someone with a working A4000D to test with.

EDIT: Here are some links for the screen colours and number of keyboard blinks:
http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/selftest.html
http://aminet.net/docs/hard/errormessages.txt

I also assume your motherboard is empty apart from: chip ram (i.e. no fast ram), empty daughterboard, accelerator card, df0 floppy drive (i.e. no hard drive).

Last edited by Calgor; 05 November 2007 at 16:06.
Old 05 November 2007, 22:32   #11
VermillioN

Tnx for the informative post Calgor

Jimbo yeh, I've a bad feeling I'll need yet another mainboard.. but fingers crossed

I've taken both boards to Dwayne at Amiga Innovations to have a look at, so I pray he has some luck..

please o great amiga goddess.. give a guy a break

Old 06 November 2007, 03:03   #12
jabsy
Yeah Hup!

I also bought a supposedly working A4000 board off of ebay.au. It was dead and no reply from the guy.. Bought an A2000 board that turned out the same too.
Must be an australian thing.
Old 06 November 2007, 06:56   #13
jimbo100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsy View Post
I also bought a supposedly working A4000 board off of ebay.au. It was dead and no reply from the guy.. Bought an A2000 board that turned out the same too.
Must be an australian thing.
No I got one from a german he just didn't tell me it was dead. I sold it for a fraction of what I paid but that because I said it was dead!

@Ver - always willing to assist if you want to try and find out whats dead!
Old 06 November 2007, 08:06   #14
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinoX View Post
Just to make sure... you DO have the zorro daughterboard attached while ur testing it? A4000 motherboards don't like booting without it...
4000 boots fine without it, 3000 needs it
Old 06 November 2007, 10:33   #15
VermillioN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo100 View Post
No I got one from a german he just didn't tell me it was dead. I sold it for a fraction of what I paid but that because I said it was dead!

@Ver - always willing to assist if you want to try and find out whats dead!
yeh that one was sold as a "non-booter".. if I had known it was your old board jimbo I would've avoided it like the plague