English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 31 January 2009, 13:36   #1
pubzombie

yay my 030 arrived; but what now?

Hi guys,
My Blizzard 030 with 64m RAM has just arrived. So get ready for a few questions
just wondering if there is anything I need to know instructions wise? Do i just plug n play? Is it like the 060 blizzards where I may need to deactivate the card to stop games running to
fast? If so how do I do that? I dont have a HDD installed yet so wont be using WHDLoad unless I put it on my flash card that I use with my easy adf transfer kit that goes in the pcm/cia slot thing.
thamx for your help
PZ
Old 31 January 2009, 13:47   #2
ppill
CON: artist

You can semi-boot a working AmigaOS setup (like ClassicWB) using just the PCMCIA adapter and a special floppy disk.

Click (should update those)

68030 cards need almost no configuration. I think the Blizzard has two jumpers (RAM speed, and a Kickstart switch that will copy the ROM to FAST memory -- good idea to have it enabled).
Old 31 January 2009, 13:49   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

what now eh?

Plug it in
Old 31 January 2009, 14:05   #4
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
You can semi-boot a working AmigaOS setup (like ClassicWB) using just the PCMCIA adapter and a special floppy disk.

Click (should update those)

68030 cards need almost no configuration. I think the Blizzard has two jumpers (RAM speed, and a Kickstart switch that will copy the ROM to FAST memory -- good idea to have it enabled).
Going to just plug it in I think as I dont understand very much at all at the moment. All i ever did with my miggies back in the day was play games from floppy, so all this is very very new. Just for reference are the instructions for these cards on a website anywhere? going to have a look for these jumpers just in case
Old 31 January 2009, 14:09   #5
ppill
CON: artist

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/a1200proc
You'll find a manual there.
Old 31 January 2009, 14:12   #6
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/a1200proc
You'll find a manual there.
thanx ppil,
this forum is great; its just a gift that keeps on giving

I just realised I only have the original A1200 power supply unit at the moment, I have no HDD but i do have 2 external floppy drives, with the 030 added will it overload the psu and damage something? I have a A500 psu on its way from ebay will that be enough? or should I get an adapted pc psu?
cheers
PZ

Last edited by pubzombie; 31 January 2009 at 14:21. Reason: i am thick
Old 31 January 2009, 15:00   #7
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

@PZ

A modded PC PSU will be the ultimate to be honest & the way to go.

However I'm running my 030 A1200 with HD & Indivision AGA with an old 4.5Amp (+5V) A500 Power supply. I would recomend removing the external Floppies though.
Get an IDE to CF Adapter & Boot Classic Workbench directly from the IDE.
You are almost there with the perfect setup for WHDLoad gaming.

TC
Old 31 January 2009, 15:17   #8
pubzombie

I will get a HDD or flash card soon, cant wait; so if i disconnect my external drives the 030 should run ok on the standard a1200 psu?
Old 31 January 2009, 15:36   #9
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
I will get a HDD or flash card soon, cant wait; so if i disconnect my external drives the 030 should run ok on the standard a1200 psu?

I think it might be pushing it. What's the current rating stated on the underside of the PSU for the +5V & +12V ?

TC
Old 31 January 2009, 16:33   #10
pubzombie

Hi, ok
it says 5v = 3.0A , 12v = 500MA, and -12V = 100MA
hope this helps!
the amiga psu i got on ebay was only £1.00 and is for A500 & A500+
cheers
PZ
Old 31 January 2009, 16:42   #11
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

@PZ

3.0 Amps is pushing it, Hopefully your A500 PSU when it arrives will be rated @4.5A which should work. (again without external drives attatched).

Truthfully I have never run my A1200 (described above) with the stock 3.0A supply as I always feared it would blow the PSU or even worse damage the Motherboard.

To banish all future worries & especially as you will have a spare supply & can use the cable... I would consider a PC ATX modified supply, these PC supplies are generally so much cleaner too so it's all good for the A1200, you can even use the additional connectors to power CDROMS or other additions.

There are quite a few threads here with Zetr0 providing some excellent diagrams (as always )

I know how you feel at the moment accelerator in hand but not able to use it.

Best of Luck
TC
Old 31 January 2009, 17:14   #12
pubzombie

@TC
thank you so much for your help. I have found that there is more to the miggy than just hardware and games, there is also a very friendly and patient community. I am an historian and academic by trade, a bookworm really, and have no skills with computers other than with games - I am pretty mean on most games - but I have found the community so friendly i really like hanging out here. I am itching to get WHDload running and get a HDD up and running also. Thats the next step to cause me headaches. I am not sure what to get; HDD or FC/IDE, but either way I have absolutley no clue how to set one up with classicWB or how to use WHDload - I have pre registered it cos I believe in supporting a community that has been so helpful - but I have learnt that half the fun is learning and talking with you guys.
cheers
PZ
ps I will get a new psu from AmigaKit as Mat there is a really helpful guy too

Last edited by pubzombie; 01 February 2009 at 21:31. Reason: moronic spelling
Old 31 January 2009, 17:32   #13
DoogUK
Doogster

I'd go with the internal compact flash card although hard disks are cheap and plentiful the cards use less power..have faster reading times, produce little or no heat and use less power making them the best choice.

Saying that my main miggy is using a 10gig hd

My 2nd 1200 is using compact flash.
Old 31 January 2009, 17:45   #14
pubzombie

the big issue i suppose is not the hardware i choose but setting the software up right for best whdload gaming
Old 31 January 2009, 17:57   #15
twizzle

@PZ

you will have no problems using a a500 pwr supply + the 030 + a single ext floppy drive + internal 2.5"hd.

i used mine like this for years before i towerised
Old 31 January 2009, 18:07   #16
pubzombie

@Twizzle
thanx. I think it was a bit of a deal getting a a500+ psu for £1. the seller didnt want me to collect
I have a few spare PSU's from old PC's how easy are they to convert to be usable with a miggy? i was bidding on a Goliath but it went up to £55 and i just assumed this was a stupid price for an old used psu and i pulled out. i think it went for £65 in the end

Last edited by pubzombie; 31 January 2009 at 18:11. Reason: gin
Old 31 January 2009, 18:26   #17
JACK98

where did u get the blizzard from,ebay?.private seller?.amiga dealer?,and how much

Last edited by JACK98; 15 November 2013 at 19:41.
Old 31 January 2009, 19:28   #18
DoogUK
Doogster

Quote:
@Twizzle
thanx. I think it was a bit of a deal getting a a500+ psu for £1. the seller didnt want me to collect
I have a few spare PSU's from old PC's how easy are they to convert to be usable with a miggy? i was bidding on a Goliath but it went up to £55 and i just assumed this was a stupid price for an old used psu and i pulled out. i think it went for £65 in the end
Blimey...i have one of those goliaths and never use it!
Old 31 January 2009, 20:27   #19
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I have a few spare PSU's from old PC's how easy are they to convert to be usable with a miggy?
Hi PZ,

It's very easy to convert an old PSU from a PC to be usable with an Amiga. All you really need is an output lead from an old Amiga PSU for grafting on to it and you're ready to go!

prowler
Old 01 February 2009, 00:05   #20
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi PZ,

It's very easy to convert an old PSU from a PC to be usable with an Amiga. All you really need is an output lead from an old Amiga PSU for grafting on to it and you're ready to go!

prowler
ok what should the psu say on the side of it - amperage wattage etc as i dont want to blow things up. I have a history of doing bad things with electronics. Last time i was in the back of an old CRT TV and grabbed hold of the capacitor, the misses wet herself laffing

ps @Jack - I got it from a forum member here, no hassle and he paid for delivery etc. Nice chap