English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 24 August 2018, 15:47   #41
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
No, but it certainly started out as yours do with as you see fit, and at that point no one has any right to complain about what you do with it.

I agree fully with this, there is a lot of "entitlement" out there and rants for projects lacking license, or when it's not permissive/open. This is completely subjective, and my opinion, but I think copyrights and patents should be shorter than they are now (with Disney pushing the 100 year barrier by lobbying), ten years should be enough to turn profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
plasmab, my comment was in no way directed at you, I respect you and everything you have contributed to the Amiga community and I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
+1

Again, you earned it.
Old 24 August 2018, 19:06   #42
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
plasmab, my comment was in no way directed at you, I respect you and everything you have contributed to the Amiga community and I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
Good that you cleared that much up at least. You can understand I'm sure how it was a bit of a wide-sweeping comment, and I'm still not sure as to the target. Should I be offended for example? I don't open source my hardware or software. I don't keep them closed for profit as the Amiga community clearly isn't big enough to make any amount worth noting. I keep them closed because I prefer to keep them closed, and I fail to see why I should have to justify that to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
I live 2 miles from @daedalus. I run past his house whenever I exercise.
Old 24 August 2018, 19:19   #43
plasmab
Banned

Why hardware developers dont collaborate

Last edited by plasmab; 24 August 2018 at 19:36.
Old 24 August 2018, 19:33   #44
modrobert
old bearded fool

Happy not being Flanders at this point.
Old 24 August 2018, 19:35   #45
plasmab
Banned

More accurately...

Old 29 August 2018, 14:37   #46
plasmab
Banned

I just found a particularly vicious comment about me on youtube.. claiming that i've been spiteful and an assh*le to my supporters...

I don't have supporters. I don't take donations, Patreon, freebies or outside assistance. My own wallet is my only supporter. The boards I sell are at cost or slightly less. I've probably partially funded the retro habbit of many retro users in the last few years.
Old 29 August 2018, 14:50   #47
elenachen

There will always be haters and mobbing :-(
Old 29 August 2018, 14:51   #48
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenachen View Post
There will always be haters and mobbing :-(
The gift horses are getting tired of the dentistry.
Old 29 August 2018, 14:53   #49
elenachen

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
The gift horses are getting tired of the dentistry.
Well, then just don't accept the horses or maybe eat them --> hmmmm......meat
Old 29 August 2018, 14:56   #50
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

YouTube is the sacred home of the keyboard warrior, and has been for quite some time. Some of the comments I've seen on stuff there have been absolutely brutal. Ignore them, do what you want to do as you've always done. It's not like you've been unclear about your intentions at any point.
Old 29 August 2018, 15:18   #51
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I don't know if this is the correct place, I thought Plasmab was very ... for want of better words... "brave" and "refreshing" when he chose to open source his designs (I only really followed the TF328 and a bit about SPI).

And I was appalled when some people used his work as a starting point for their own closed source designs. (And while I only just read about it, I am also appalled that someone would fork and then remove the original developers names and details from files)

But I was also disappointed when Plasmab decided to no-longer opensource future work. I totally respect and understand the decision. But I was still disappointed. I had seen him as an evangelist to open source designs on a platform I followed and it hadn't worked out. No malice or hate, just a bit sad.

I think there is a level of control you give away when you open source your work, and if you're not happy to relinquish that control, even a little bit it can be quite hurtful when someone forks your work and takes it in a direction which is not inline with what you had envisaged and in some circumstances in a direction which is technically incorrect.

But forking is a natural part of open source development, you are effectively giving the work away free for others to do with what they wish as long as it remains open source and the history of your original work is remembered.

I would have happily supported Plasmab's wallet with regular small amounts through something like Patreon had he kept his designs open source and continued to post developer blogs and feedback as he had done throughout the TF328 design. I do see this model of crowd sourcing through entertainment during the development process an interesting idea (although it might not be viable)

I would still buy from Plasmab again and encourage him to develop whatever takes his fancy.
Old 29 August 2018, 15:27   #52
plasmab
Banned

Thankyou.

If I took even one donation then there is an expectation to deliver. Can you imagine how Amiga peeps would be if they thought they were paying for my living.. holy bananas. Some of them already do.