English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 March 2012, 22:12   #161
Graham Humphrey

Right, here's WIP7. The only thing new is the new level, nothing else has changed this time, I simply haven't had the time to do it and anyway it's quite time-consuming designing levels as it is. If anybody wants to help with the level design then take a look at the source code to see how it's done. Each level is 60 rows of platforms high.

My targets for the next two updates are implementing a few power-ups, the two player mode and probably the title sequence too. However after that WIPs will probably be more infrequent as level designing, testing, and general tweaking and bug-fixing will be taking up more time than anything else, so there won't be a great deal worth showing for a little while.

Just to deal with some of the other suggestions:

In terms of Deluxe/Special Editions and things like that, it's far too early for me to consider these. I might do at some point but really I'm concentrating on getting this finished now, and I would prefer to work on new projects anyway.

In terms of character names, I don't think these will be needed for Downfall but if I do end up using these in other projects (and I might, they're cool characters) then I'll definitely need some names. But cheers for the suggestions so far.

In terms of the two-player mode... each player only has one life so if someone dies, the initial plan is that's the end of the game. I do agree that playing on your own after the other player has died can be a bit naff. I don't think there'll be much in the way of collision detection between the players but given the way the collision works you'll probably be able to land on the other player's head! I will include a freeze power-up that'll render the other player immobile for a few seconds but they'll be quite rare.

I probably won't deal with the high score table until the very end but I don't plan anything too fancy, just a basic 'enter your name on the keyboard' affair (I hate it when games don't allow you to do something as obvious as this). And I'm not too sure about including extra characters, it doesn't really add much to the game (in my opinion) although if there were to be a special edition, or a sequel even, then I'd consider it.

Thanks everybody for all the feedback and suggestions so far, it's spurred me on somewhat. Even though I'm a bit pushed for spare time at the minute it's definitely a matter of when, not if, the game gets finished.
Attached Files
File Type: lha DownfallWIP7.LHA (70.7 KB, 133 views)
Old 04 March 2012, 22:58   #162
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I confirm it works well here, levels including tilesets are changing correctly.

One question: will the game continuously accelerate its scrolling?

Last edited by Predseda; 04 March 2012 at 23:10.
Old 04 March 2012, 23:19   #163
s2325
Zone Friend

Thank you. [ Show youtube player ] For some reason you can stand on music note.
Old 04 March 2012, 23:23   #164
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Thank you s2325 for your video, but unfortunatelly it is almost identical to the previous one - it doesnt show the main difference, the new platform tiles while level changes.
Old 04 March 2012, 23:25   #165
s2325
Zone Friend

Could you tell me how long is first level? Recording make huge slowdown and I had not patience.
Old 04 March 2012, 23:45   #166
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

My measurement tells it takes about 1:40 to get to 2nd level.

Looking at level data: it really would be helpful to have a simple level-editor, that would convert data to pixels/spaces (and back). I will try to write one in AMOS, but I am afraid I forgot too much already.

Last edited by Predseda; 04 March 2012 at 23:56.
Old 05 March 2012, 09:30   #167
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
One question: will the game continuously accelerate its scrolling?
No. Just like the original the scrolling should remain the same throughout. However I am thinking about making it quicker to make the game a bit harder.

As for the level data - I didn't bother with an editor simply because it's so basic and it's simple enough to type it in. If anybody would like a breakdown of how it works I'll do that later on.
Old 05 March 2012, 10:37   #168
fishyfish
Banned

I wont promise anything, but I could probably make a quick, simple level editor if it's of use? Both my computers, and life are in a bit of disarray at the moment, so Im kinda struggling to focus on any "serious" projects, but something like a level editor might be cool. Gives me something to do while Im waiting for my life to return to "normal" as well

Oh, and I dont know if you did anything about it yet (or wanted to), but a quick workaround for the overscan type look of the copper gradients could be to simply overlay tall, black sprites at either end of the screen. Like I said though I dont know what your intentions were, but it was just a thought

Anyway, good stuff. It's been pretty entertaining following the progress
Old 05 March 2012, 11:20   #169
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Even the "level displayer" would help, to better imagine already built level. Something that would convert data simply to pixels (representing platform tiles) and show on screen, just to check the entire level design. smtg like: 5=red pixel, 4=yellow pixel, 6=green pixel, 0= black pixel. 10 pixel rows bellow only in black, representing blank space and then next platform row... ideally in 640x512 resolution to see as much as possible.
Old 05 March 2012, 23:58   #170
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Change the order of your Gosubs to:

Gosub doscroll
Gosub moveply
Gosub pickups
Gosub drawply
Gosub checkscores

Doing this will remove the landing on top of fruit, will remove the flickering on some fruit after collecting them, AND will remove 1/50 second input lag from the game.

Looking good so far Graham, keep it up.
Old 06 March 2012, 00:00   #171
Graham Humphrey

That's brilliant, thanks for that! Another problem solved by yourself
Old 06 March 2012, 00:44   #172
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Your welcome .
Edit, does not fix the flickering fruit, fixes everything else but, oops .

I think the flickering corruption is coming from your "BlockScroll" commands. It interferes with the UnBuffer db command. If there is fruit (or your main player) is on that line when the blocks get copied from it, it also copies bits of the fruit or main player not just the platform to the reverse bitmap.
Maybe instead of using 'BlockScroll' command wait until the next frame and draw the same line again for the reverse bitmap. (you may need to read the data into an array as you will need that data twice).

Sorry it's hard to explain. My teaching skills are as bad as my grammar and spelling

To fix the bug where mouse is stuck half way into a platform..
delete the line:-
If ply(n)\y MOD 2=0 Then ply(n)\y=ply(n)\y-1
and replace with
If Point(ply(n)\x,ply(n)\y) Then ply(n)\y-1
p.s. That will only work correctly when the flickering problem (above) is fixed.

DJC

Last edited by DJCruicky; 07 March 2012 at 06:15.
Old 06 March 2012, 09:09   #173
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Downfall Fish Finger
Old 06 March 2012, 17:21   #174
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Old 06 March 2012, 19:18   #175
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Oh, and I dont know if you did anything about it yet (or wanted to), but a quick workaround for the overscan type look of the copper gradients could be to simply overlay tall, black sprites at either end of the screen. Like I said though I dont know what your intentions were, but it was just a thought
That's a good idea and would probably be ideal - could I still do that though, given that the places where I would want to do that are outside of the bitmap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCruicky View Post
I think the flicking corruption is coming from your "BlockScroll" commands. It interferes with the UnBuffer db command. If there is fruit (or your main player) is on that line when the blocks get copied from it, it also copies bits of the fruit or main player not just the platform to the reverse bitmap.
Maybe instead of using 'BlockScroll' command wait until the next frame and draw the same line again for the reverse bitmap. (you may need to read the data into an array as you will need that data twice).

Sorry it's hard to explain. My teaching skills are as bad as my grammar and spelling

To fix the bug where mouse is stuck half way into a platform..
delete the line:-
If ply(n)\y MOD 2=0 Then ply(n)\y=ply(n)\y-1
and replace with
If Point(ply(n)\x,ply(n)\y) Then ply(n)\y-1
p.s. That will only work correctly when the flicking problem (above) is fixed.

DJC
Thanks for working that one out. Thinking about it, I guess that's quite obvious - if the BlockScroll command copies a part of the display then it stands to reason that it'll copied over all blitted graphics. Would moving the Unbuffer db command to the end of the frame after all the subroutines have been called make any difference? (I could just try it I guess...) Otherwise I'll obviously have to do a bit of extra work to get round it (which shouldn't actually prove to be a problem of course).
Old 07 March 2012, 23:11   #176
mihcael
Zone Friend

Love the look of the new Title screen guys!! Great work.

Old 08 March 2012, 10:24   #177
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

We have also AGA version of this screen already prepared, looks even a bit better.
Old 09 March 2012, 06:14   #178
s2325
Zone Friend

longer video: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 March 2012, 06:27   #179
jimbob

great stuff! I was really rooting for that little guy when you nearly squished him to the top chasing that piece of fruit.

Some sounds to go with the pick ups would be nice. For level design things, how about giant point bonuses for collecting some number of a particular type and placing them so they are increasingly tough to collect?
Old 09 March 2012, 09:58   #180
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
Love the look of the new Title screen guys!! Great work.

That looks absolutely stunning! Brilliant work!