English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 March 2012, 10:03   #181
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I think it would be very easy to implement extra collectable bonus for each lets say 5000, or at 3000, 5000, 8000 for example. Some gem or so.
Old 09 March 2012, 19:57   #182
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Today was THE DAY - my 3.5 year old son Matěj played his first computer game ever. It was on Amiga computer and yes - it was Downfall. I am so proud to announce this! He used Quickshot QS-200 joypad and his highest score was 000025. But he was very excited of it and so I did. YEAH!!!
Old 09 March 2012, 22:59   #183
Graham Humphrey

That's brilliant! It's surreal to think that the first game your son has ever played is one I've written. If he enjoyed it then that's fantastic. I hope you introduce him to some of the classics in the not-too-distant future.

More new things to report too - big thanks to mihcael for taking the time to design some levels for the game. Already level three has been included and there's a level four and alternate level one waiting in the wings too so look out for them in the next WIP.

Secondly, Predseda has got his virtual paintbrushes out once again and drawn some nice little powerup icons which I will be using at some point soon. However you'll have to wait for these, as I have been mainly concentrating on adding the two-player mode tonight - which is now in It still needs some testing to make 100% sure everything is working as it should be but nothing's been broken which is a promising start.

As if that wasn't enough (!) I've taken DJCruicky's advice on changing the order the subroutines are called which has - as he correctly advised - eliminated the problem of being able to walk on the pickups. So one more problem bites the dust! I am, of course, aware of how to fix the flickering issues now thanks to him so I will also be working in the near future to remedy these... although I can't promise it will be in time for WIP8.

I am also hoping to add the title sequence too - this way you get a feel for how the presentation screens will look 'in the flesh' so to speak (including the high score table screen), and it'll make it easy to choose between one and two-player modes.

So here's the current release schedule:

WIP8 (Due for release 11/03/12) - new levels added, some pickup collision issues fixed, two-player mode added, title screen included

WIP9 (Due 18/03/12) - I'm hoping to have some proper powerups up and running, as well as waving goodbye to the flickering issues mentioned above. Anything else will be a bonus.

I'm still waiting on the sound effects from Wilshy but as soon as they are done rest assured they will be included, no rush yet. But I still have no ProTracker musician. If anybody can knock up a title and a game tune, both with a combined file size of no greater than 200K (give or take a few K), using all four sound channels if you like, then please drop me a line!
Old 10 March 2012, 00:54   #184
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Thank you, happy to be of help .

Have you tried having a 2 player game with you controlling both players yourself. Bloody hard!! Had a go last week.
I set up my XBox360 joypad with player 1 on the left stick, player 2 on the right stick.
It's like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time .
Hard.
DJ
Old 10 March 2012, 11:04   #185
Graham Humphrey

That's exactly how I was testing it... even harder when one of the joysticks is very unresponsive. It's almost like a game in itself...
Old 10 March 2012, 12:13   #186
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I would be happy to have restart on joy button, instead quit to WB after the game is over. Is it possible to include in the upcoming WIP? It is due to my main gametester, he is not able to launch the game again yet.
Old 10 March 2012, 13:50   #187
mihcael
Zone Friend

WOW, AmigaPD interview with the programmer of Downfall!
Old 10 March 2012, 15:03   #188
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I would be happy to have restart on joy button, instead quit to WB after the game is over. Is it possible to include in the upcoming WIP? It is due to my main gametester, he is not able to launch the game again yet.
As I'm putting the title screen in, I might put in the code to loop back to the title screen when you die. However if I don't get time to do it for WIP8 it will definitely be in for WIP9.
Old 10 March 2012, 20:18   #189
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Old 10 March 2012, 20:26   #190
s2325
Zone Friend

I think he need smaller joypad.
Old 10 March 2012, 23:42   #191
wilshy

Looking forward to trying the new WIPs.

Sorry for the delay on sound fx. Got a week off coming up and while I intend to keep myself busy I want a day of Amiga'ing in there.
Old 11 March 2012, 12:11   #192
Graham Humphrey

WIP8 is here - both in lha and as an ADF.

Main changes here are obviously the two-player mode and the title screen (incidentally, at Predseda's request, I've now implemented the code to loop back to the titles when you die) which also includes the Hall of Fame (no scores though) and a credits screen placeholder (only one line of text, this will obviously be replaced with a proper screen towards the end of the project). To start a two-player game, press fire on the second player's joystick at the title screen.

Also, mihcael has been very busy and has designed levels three and four. He's also designed a new level one (see if you can guess what word is spelled out ). I did cock up slightly when implementing this one as a couple of the edge platforms are missing but that's not a show-stopper. I'll fix it next week. Big thanks to Mike for taking the time to do these!

As far as the levels go, there will be ten levels with different tile graphics which will loop round to level one again. However, to give a bit of a variety and to partly compensate for the fact that the designs aren't random like the Jaguar version, I want to include three or four different designs per level, and the game selects one randomly to play each time. This would mean there are lots of different combinations of levels possible and if the game loops round to level one again when you complete level ten, you could be faced with some new maps. So if anybody else has any level ideas drop me a line, there's enough space to fill

Next week I will also get round to fixing the little graphical glitches that still remain and try and add some powerups. For now, if you discover any new problems or issues then please report them, thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: lha DownfallWIP8.LHA (75.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: zip DownfallWIP8.ZIP (122.7 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 11 March 2012 at 13:51.
Old 11 March 2012, 13:59   #193
mihcael
Zone Friend

Noticed something i hadnt seen before.

If you die when you're feet are semi-submerged in the platform, when you start the next game, a flickering platform will appear in the same X location as where you died but at the start of the level.

Even though its not part of the map you can land on it. (see pic)

Old 11 March 2012, 14:03   #194
Graham Humphrey

Thanks for that! I hadn't come across this one yet. Hopefully when I sort out the flickering/glitching next week that will go with it (fingers crossed).
Old 11 March 2012, 14:15   #195
mihcael
Zone Friend

BTW, whats the cheat code to skip levels?

It took me 5 tries to get to level 4 and then i died at the start. Don't know whether im crap at it or level too hard?
Old 11 March 2012, 16:41   #196
s2325
Zone Friend

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 March 2012, 16:52   #197
frikilokooo

Great work!!!
Old 11 March 2012, 19:50   #198
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

LOL, not easy to spot, but I love that word hidden in level design lev 1.

I think players should interact to each other. Sprite collision between them is needed.

Last edited by Predseda; 11 March 2012 at 21:05.
Old 11 March 2012, 21:46   #199
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
...I think players should interact to each other. Sprite collision between them is needed.
You have to develop a system which prevented one player from simply blocking the other player and forcing their death.
Old 11 March 2012, 22:34   #200
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I also died in level 4, somewhere in the middle. Developer cheat would be nice.