English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 13 April 2010, 13:55   #1
edd_jedi

Easier way of transferring files

I am using a 4GB CF card inside my A1200 as an HD and am starting to learn my way around it, transferring files etc. The problem is that currently, I need to take the CF out of the Amiga which means unscrewing it, and then transferring files files through winUAE.

I don't mind the winUAE part, but taking my Amiga to bits every time I want to add a game is a pain and will in time take it's toll on the machine. So is there a better way of transferring stuff that I'm missing? Perhaps a PCMCIA CF reader and buying another CF just to use as transferrable media? If so any recommendations based on compatibility etc?

Cheers.
Old 13 April 2010, 14:17   #2
ami_junkie

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=440

This will fit the bill.

Old 13 April 2010, 14:19   #3
Allen1

Hi there edd_jedi,

you have basically answered your own question about transferring files/games to your Amiga from a PC. All you need is a PCMCIA adapter for the CF card and preferably a Sandisk CF card as they seem to be the most reliable. You will however need to download fat95.lha and cfd.lha from Aminet and set them up on your Amiga to be able to read a windows formatted CF card in the PCMCIA slot, the software is free. Alternatively you could buy the kit that you need from Ebay or Amigakit.com.
Old 13 April 2010, 14:23   #4
seuden
uber cool demi god

Just get a longer ide cable and mount the cf card so it faces out of the back expansion port.
Old 13 April 2010, 14:34   #5
Leffmann

I use a cheap PCMCIA card reader and an SD card. There's device support for it in ClassicWB, and the device pops right up on the Workbench when you insert a card.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10891
Old 13 April 2010, 14:50   #6
Old Fool
Zone Friend

I transfer files via null-modem cable (A500). It takes up to 8 mins per one disk so I don't transfer too often . When using high quality disks that are formatted properly plus transferring only WinUAE tested and workind adf's there's suprisingly little problems!
Old 13 April 2010, 14:59   #7
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I use a cheap PCMCIA card reader and an SD card. There's device support for it in ClassicWB, and the device pops right up on the Workbench when you insert a card.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10891
Would a PCMCIA --> USB work?
Old 13 April 2010, 15:17   #8
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
No idea, I'm not very knowledgeable about these things, but if there is such a thing as a PCMCIA to USB adapter I guess it's doable somehow. It would be the best solution really.
Old 13 April 2010, 20:30   #9
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Why should you need it?
It's much better to remove the card from the PCMCIA adapter - instead of the PCMCIA adapter itself - for Amiga<--->PC file transfers.
Better leave the PCMCIA adapter in your A600's slot, so you'll not risk to ruin some (potentially fragile) pins...
Old 13 April 2010, 22:36   #10
seuden
uber cool demi god

I think we've got our wires crossed. I meant would a PCMCIA card with USB slots which accept USB devices (mainly a USB key) work? I've since found out (thanks Duke) that only if it was 16 bit and I would have to write a driver for it.

Last edited by seuden; 13 April 2010 at 22:48.
Old 13 April 2010, 23:24   #11
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Get to it then seuden!
Old 13 April 2010, 23:27   #12
seuden
uber cool demi god

Lol, apparently there's no such thing as a 16 bit PCMCIA USB card. Otherwise I'd write the drivers for them now, on the label of this bottle of Bishops Finger.
Old 13 April 2010, 23:29   #13
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Shame.

I would have enjoyed that. Maybe you could write it on this can of Red Stripe?
Old 13 April 2010, 23:36   #14
seuden
uber cool demi god

No!! Don't be stupid, I'll scribe it into the red stripe.

Anyone know of a 16bit PCMCIA USB card?
Old 14 April 2010, 01:01   #15
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Anyone know of a 16bit PCMCIA USB card?
I searched everywhere, during these years (I needed it for an old AST notebook), but couldn't find a single one!
Old 03 July 2010, 17:44   #16
Strobestar
Re-invigorated Amigan

Alternate Amiga to PC File Transfer Method I used..

NB: I'm not saying this is easier than the CF Card method or anything, I haven't tried that yet - just sharing a method that I used (with help from my neighbour) to re-create my real Amiga in my WinUAE environment on my WinXP PC.. it worked for me, my real machine is fine, but I also don't know if this method could possibly damage the Amiga HDs or not.

I also don't see any reason why you couldn't use this method to transfer your Emulated Amiga files back to your Real Amiga HDs.

(Perhaps an EAB "hardware wizard" maybe able to elaborate on or augment this post if they know whether or not this is safe method).

I used a USB 2.0 SATA IDE cable with power and two HD connectors - 2.5" & 3.5"..

RE-CREATING MY EXTERNAL HD:
- I made and formatted a Hardfile in WinUAE of appropriate size.
- I disconnected my external 3.5" 850Mb HD from Amiga (had to temporarily remove a jumper from the HD - Master/Slave one I think)
- Connected it to the cable, then connected the cable to the PC.
(Since it was an Amiga Filesystem drive, Windows recognised a HD was attached but couldn't read it - but that's not needed, because the emulated Amiga can read it. WinUAE recognised there was an Amiga drive attached)..
- I mounted that drive in the emulator with "Add Harddrive". And mounted formatted Hardfile. Reset emulation.
- Amiga HD icons appear, showed all in the physical drives' window and copied all files/drawers across to the Hardfile.
- When complete, safely disconnect, replace jumper and reconnect to Amiga. External drive complete.

RE-CREATING MY SYSTEM/WORKBENCH DRIVE:
- Again, make & format a new appropriately sized Hardfile in WinUAE.
- *Real Amiga restarted/booted with Workbench floppies, so you're not copying running WB/System files from the physical drive (ie. Sharing Violation issues)*
(In this case, the USB 2.0 cable didn't have an appropriate power cable to suit my A1200 standard 2.5" 40Mb HD so the real Amiga was needed to supply that power to the drive - so both the Amiga & the PC are running simultaneously).
- After connecting this HD to the cable, I had the real Amiga supplying power to that drive. Then connected USB 2.0 cable to PC. (Again, because it was an Amiga Filesystem drive, Windows recognised a HD was attached but couldn't read it - but that's not needed, because the emulated Amiga can read it. WinUAE recognised there was an Amiga drive attached)..
- I mounted that drive in the emulator with "Add Harddrive". And mounted formatted Hardfile. Reset emulation.
- Amiga HD icons appear, showed all in the physical drives' window and copied all files/drawers across to the new Hardfile.
- When complete, safely disconnect, reconnect to Amiga. Main drive complete.

NB: I include this to help others and when I searched for information on Amiga to PC File Transfer techniques, I had not come across this technique. All those that I found either utilised software on both platforms or "slow" cables that would take ages to transfer info across and/or might not do the job correctly if the cable wasn't perfect, required hardware that would be more expensive than the cable I mentioned.

I hope it helps someone out there and welcome any comments regarding its safety to hardware etc. from those more in the know. Happy transferring.