English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 02 June 2007, 14:45   #1
Graham Humphrey

EAB Games League Ineligible Games

I've decided to create this thread in light of the Turrican 2 incident in the voting for round 2 (notice how I cunningly wait until after the voting has ended before doing it as well ).

What I'm going to do with this thread is to list the games that can't be played in the league. I'm not talking about the obvious ones such as adventures/RPGs and the like, I mean games that do have proper scoring systems and things that, on the face of it, may be suited to the competition but aren't, maybe due to bugs, or whatever.

I can't do this on my own, of course. If someone is unsure of whether a game should be eligible for voting, than post it here (together with the reason why) and I'll have a look at it. My decision (as I'm running this thing) is final on whether a game is eligible or not, though I will listen to other people's views on games. You don't have to wait until the voting starts before you post here; you can do it at any time.

This post will be updated regularly with games that are banned, and the reason why. Also games that have already been played will be listed here for convenience (obviously already-played games can't be chosen again).

Banned Games:

Agony: Infinite score leeching bug on first boss (up to 999,999 points)
Bubble Dizzy: Extra lives regenerate when player dies, meaning players can build up scores forever
Franko: Only a maximum score of 175 which is extremely easy to achieve
Lotus 2: Different scoring systems for different versions (eg the WHDLoad version has the scores halved for some reason)
Pinball Fantasies (Stones 'n' Bones): table bugged - i.e. random crashing, infinite balls, messed up scores
Rodland: Infinite score leeching on all the bosses can easily be used to fake the maximum available score

Games Already Played:

Season 1: Slam Tilt, Deluxe Galaga, Apidya, Turrican 2, Project-X, Pang, Super Hang-On, Leander, Skweek

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 10 November 2007 at 19:37.
Old 03 June 2007, 04:30   #2
mihcael
Zone Friend

How will you approach issues with infinite score leeching?

there is absolutely no way to tell when someone has cheated so i think to ban games where leeching is possible will not stop someone who wants to cheat

at lemon it has become a bit of an issue, but i think if everyone plays by the same rules it can be fair. these games were played in the last few rounds where leeching was possible (i believe) but most players refused the temptation!!

Rodland
Battle Squadron
Agony

Some people just don't get that its only a game and the competition is designed for a bit of fun!

And can someone tell me where Turrican 2 was banned at Lemon? i can't find it and have never questioned anybody for voting for it!
Old 03 June 2007, 11:01   #3
Graham Humphrey

To be fair, I'm more on about bugs and things like that really. I know it does rely on trust and I'm prepared to accept people's scores are genuine, I mean if you went around banning games that you can easily do things like infinite score leeching and stuff there probably wouldn't be many left.

The thing with Turrican 2 was I thought there wasn't a timer so it would be extremely easy to cheat if that was the case, obviously when you're told completely different things by different people you do get confused when you're not familiar with the game.
Old 03 June 2007, 11:22   #4
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

no timer ?

Last edited by turrican3; 13 February 2008 at 02:29.
Old 03 June 2007, 11:24   #5
Graham Humphrey

Yeah, I know that now.

I didn't know any better at the time. That was the point I was trying to make. That's why I started this thread to prevent that whole thing happening again.

But anyway, you live and learn, don't you?
Old 03 June 2007, 11:29   #6
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

yes,
but i have one question:
how did you made to live without playing turrican 2 ?
This is one of the best amiga game
Old 03 June 2007, 11:31   #7
Graham Humphrey

I don't know really. I played the original but I didn't like it very much. So I guess I've never been particularly keen on trying it. But I've got a feeling I'm going to have to soon if the next vote goes as I think it will.
Old 03 June 2007, 11:53   #8
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

good news turrican is back to the league.
I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Old 23 June 2007, 12:41   #9
Graham Humphrey

Now the vote for Round 3 is over, it has been brought to my attention (I won't tell you his name, but his number's Bippy ) that there could be a problem with Lotus 2.

I discussed this with him yesterday and said yeah, I think it should be banned, but I thought it only fair to let other people give their opinions on this first.

If anyone's interested in why, read this to find out.

Personally I think this game could be more trouble than its worth, which is disappointing because it is an ideal candidate for this type of competition, but if anyone can give me a convincing argument otherwise I may reconsider.

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 23 June 2007 at 12:52.
Old 23 June 2007, 12:48   #10
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Use this link, matey
Old 23 June 2007, 12:53   #11
Graham Humphrey

Link fixed
Old 23 June 2007, 12:59   #12
Shoonay
Global Caturator

So, to sum up the problem...

Basically, every version (WHD/original/many crackz) has a different scoring system?

I know I did read this Lotus2 thread on LA back when it was played, but seem to remember a better argument to this whole "cheating *not* being cheating" thing.
Also, wasn't there something in the WHDLoad version of the game about how the scoring system was half cut to avoid overwriting the score? :/
Old 23 June 2007, 13:03   #13
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay
Basically, every version (WHD/original/many crackz) has a different scoring system?
That's how it appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay
Also, wasn't there something in the WHDLoad version of the game about how the scoring system was half cut to avoid overwriting the score? :/
Yeah, it's actually in the readme of the WHD install. Which probably goes a long way to explaining some of those apparently "odd" scores.

Does anyone know if the other Lotus games are affected by this, or is it just number 2?
Old 23 June 2007, 13:08   #14
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Lotus 1 (doesn't save when not registered)
Lotus 2 (didn't it suppose to say something about the scoring system? )
Lotus 3 (doesn't save hiscores IIRC)
Old 23 June 2007, 13:13   #15
Graham Humphrey

Well I don't think not being able to save scores is much of a problem (doesn't really matter for this competition, as long as you've got a screenshot that's okay).

I would assume the other two Lotus games would be fine.
Old 23 June 2007, 13:20   #16
Shoonay
Global Caturator

It is, to me - the only way I can post me screenie, after playing the game on a real A1200, is to boot the game again on WinUAE...
Old 23 June 2007, 13:23   #17
Graham Humphrey

Ah, then that is a bit of a problem.... why don't you play the game in WinUAE just for the competition then (there are loads of games which don't save highscores, which is crazy)? It's not ideal but it's the only way round it (short of taking a photo of the screen on your Amiga )
Old 23 June 2007, 13:27   #18
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I want's me real Amy!!!

Old 23 June 2007, 17:37   #19
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
Ah, then that is a bit of a problem.... why don't you play the game in WinUAE just for the competition then (there are loads of games which don't save highscores, which is crazy)? It's not ideal but it's the only way round it (short of taking a photo of the screen on your Amiga )
I also play on real Amiga and just make a screenshot on WinUAE. I don't play games on WinUAE because it is really tricky to play with keyboard all those games you have learnt to play with joystick.
Old 23 June 2007, 17:48   #20
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
I also play on real Amiga and just make a screenshot on WinUAE. I don't play games on WinUAE because it is really tricky to play with keyboard all those games you have learnt to play with joystick.
I do agree it can be difficult, but I went out and bought a joypad (Though something like Super Stardust is a pig to control without a proper joystick) Certainly it can be very hard especially for games that maybe weren't really designed for keyboard use.

I must admit I feel slightly less "comfortable" playing on WinUAE than I do on an Amiga (if that makes sense?) but it's something I can cope with.

Obviously if we play a game that doesn't save highscores at all, and you've got no way of taking a photo of your score then the only real alternative is emulation. Unless you decide not to enter