English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 June 2010, 16:02   #1
paulo_becas

Formating a CF Card in WinUAE to Use in a real amiga

I'm trying to format a CF card by pluging in a CF IDE Hard disk but when i run HDtoolbox it just doesn't appear there. How can i make WinUAE see that CF IDE HD?
Another thing is that i'm having constant problems with the 1200 HD wether if it's a 2,5 HD or a CF HD, the data starts to be currupted after a few times writing stuff to the HD, how can i make a reliable instalation and what can i do to the HD to make it less problematic when used in the A1200?
I'm using ClassicWB 3.1.
Old 29 June 2010, 16:07   #2
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I had this problem recently on the PC when prepping a CF card. If it already has a Windows partition on it you need to find a tool to delete that first. Then WinUAE will play nicely with it. That's the issue I had anyway.

Your other problem sounds like it could be a MaxTransfer issue. Try setting it lower? Can't remember the standard one that usually gets handed out in advice... 0x1fe00 ? Either that or your drive is bigger than 4GB?
Old 29 June 2010, 16:31   #3
paulo_becas

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150 View Post
I had this problem recently on the PC when prepping a CF card. If it already has a Windows partition on it you need to find a tool to delete that first. Then WinUAE will play nicely with it. That's the issue I had anyway.
What kind of tool? What did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150 View Post
Your other problem sounds like it could be a MaxTransfer issue. Try setting it lower? Can't remember the standard one that usually gets handed out in advice... 0x1fe00 ? Either that or your drive is bigger than 4GB?
Actually i play it safe since i'm only using my amiga for games all my HD including the CF card are 4GB.
How do i lower the MaxTransfer so that my data wouldn't become corrupt?

I forgot to mention that this CF card was formated in my amiga and when i plugged it in my pc via IDE it worked perfectly but after a few minutes copying stuff to it it become unreadable, after a few times trying to fix it i ended up formating it in FAT, after that i couldn't get workbench(in WinUAE) to recognize it so that i could format it with WinUAE. The drive simply doesn't appear in HDTollbox.

Last edited by paulo_becas; 29 June 2010 at 16:39.
Old 29 June 2010, 16:34   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Drive is fully available if you see it in Add Harddrive list and read-write checkbox is not disabled.

HDtoolbox only looks for scsi.device. Configure exactly same configuration in WinUAE as your real Amiga (A1200 + A1200 KS ROM + Chipset extra = A1200) and mount the CF as "IDE0" (not "UAE")

Or change hdtoolbox tooltypes or include device name in command line (uaehf.device = "UAE" HD controller)

Note that using UAE driver can hide some problems (until you install it on your real Amiga) due to driver feature differences (>4G support etc..)
Old 29 June 2010, 17:06   #5
paulo_becas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Drive is fully available if you see it in Add Harddrive list and read-write checkbox is not disabled.
Done

Quote:
HDtoolbox only looks for scsi.device. Configure exactly same configuration in WinUAE as your real Amiga (A1200 + A1200 KS ROM + Chipset extra = A1200) and mount the CF as "IDE0" (not "UAE")
Done

Quote:
Or change hdtoolbox tooltypes or include device name in command line (uaehf.device = "UAE" HD controller)
Sorry for the ignorance but how do i do that changing hdtoolbox tooltypes ?
Old 29 June 2010, 17:22   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Hdtoolbox will show it without tooltype changes if CF is configured as IDE0. You really sure you have A1200 KS ROM? (some "A1200" ROMs are actually A4000 ROMs..)

Single click hdtoolbox icon, select Information from menu.
Old 29 June 2010, 17:31   #7
paulo_becas

Quote:
Hdtoolbox will show it without tooltype changes if CF is configured as IDE0. You really sure you have A1200 KS ROM? (some "A1200" ROMs are actually A4000 ROMs..)

Single click hdtoolbox icon, select Information from menu.
I have kickstart rom 3.1 from my A1200, i've save it with Amiga explorer, as for the cf drive it still doesn't appear in the hdtoolbox and theres no information to click in.
Old 29 June 2010, 17:36   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_becas View Post
and theres no information to click in.
Hold down right mouse button and look at the top of your screen.
Old 29 June 2010, 18:00   #9
paulo_becas

I've seen it and feel really stupid.
I've had the following line in tooltypes and still get nothing "uaehf.device = "UAE" HD controller" Is this correct or should i change something to the name of the CF IDE drive?
Old 29 June 2010, 18:03   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Enable logging (misc panel), boot to WB normally (CF included using Add Harddrive), exit winuae, attach winuaebootlog.txt and winuaelog.txt
Old 29 June 2010, 18:10   #11
paulo_becas

Here they are, i can't figure this thing out.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (16.5 KB, 596 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (8.0 KB, 324 views)
Old 29 June 2010, 18:17   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Start by updating winuae.
Old 29 June 2010, 18:20   #13
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_becas View Post
I've seen it and feel really stupid.
I've had the following line in tooltypes and still get nothing "uaehf.device = "UAE" HD controller" Is this correct or should i change something to the name of the CF IDE drive?
device=uaehf.device (it would have previously read device=scsi.device )
Old 29 June 2010, 18:23   #14
thomas

It's SCSI_DEVICE_NAME and it should read SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=scsi.device if you chose IDE0 in Add Harddrive.
Old 29 June 2010, 18:28   #15
paulo_becas

Thank's for all the help, i have to go now, I'll try it out again tomorrow and post back to say how it went. Thank's Toni for the pacience I'll install the latest version of WinUAE.
Old 29 June 2010, 18:30   #16
paulo_becas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
It's SCSI_DEVICE_NAME and it should read SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=scsi.device if you chose IDE0 in Add Harddrive.
It says that but since this is a CF HD Drive it has to be diferent quoting Toni (if he don't mind) or should i have to erase that line and put the other one???
Old 29 June 2010, 20:17   #17
thomas

Quote:
It says that but since this is a CF HD Drive it has to be diferent quoting Toni (if he don't mind) or should i have to erase that line and put the other one???
I am sure he does mind being quoted wrongly. Read again what he wrote.

If you choose IDE0 as controller, you have to use scsi.device as driver. If you use UAE as controller, you have to use uaehf.device as driver. Has nothing to do with CF or not. It's just hardware and driver combination has to be right.

You should use IDE0 as controller so you experience any problems already in emulation and not only on the real Amiga.

All that's said by Toni above.
Old 29 June 2010, 20:58   #18
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
that's the one!

<shame> (i guess i was thinking of dosdrivers :S )
Old 29 June 2010, 23:42   #19
paulo_becas

Quote:
I am sure he does mind being quoted wrongly. Read again what he wrote.

If you choose IDE0 as controller, you have to use scsi.device as driver. If you use UAE as controller, you have to use uaehf.device as driver. Has nothing to do with CF or not. It's just hardware and driver combination has to be right.

You should use IDE0 as controller so you experience any problems already in emulation and not only on the real Amiga.

All that's said by Toni above.
Sorry, you are right i misunderstood what Toni said and sorry for my poor english as well.

Has you said about using scsi.device as driver when i choose IDE0, i've tried that, it's already there, maybe i'm doing something wrong.
See the picture below this is what apears in the tooltypes

The HD still does not appear.
I Choose IDE0.

The strange thing is when i format the drive in my amiga 1200 and then pluged it in my pc i can boot from it without a problem in WinUAE, it sees the drive perfectly, but if i have the same drive formated in NTFS and want to prepare it for my amiga this things happen, i just can't see it in hdtoolbox

Last edited by paulo_becas; 29 June 2010 at 23:48.
Old 30 June 2010, 07:43   #20
thomas

In WinUAE's configuration go to the ROM page and make sure that it reads KS ROM ... (A1200)... Then go to the chipset page and make sure that Chipset Extra is set to A1200.

Only if ROM and chipset match, the IDE0 controller is recognised.

Be sure to save the configuration before you quit WinUAE, otherwise the changes will be reverted.

Quote:
when i format the drive in my amiga 1200 and then pluged it in my pc i can boot from it without a problem in WinUAE
With IDE0 or UAE controller?