English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 07 August 2018, 19:17   #141
graffias79

I am excited for this as well. Thanks to all of your for your hard work!
Old 07 August 2018, 20:23   #142
dschallock

Can’t wait for this to come out!
Old 07 August 2018, 21:52   #143
Starglider 2

Me either! As an excited reminder, I'd love to cover this on my channel as soon as it's released! Thank you for all your hard work bringing the past into the present and updating it! ?
Old 07 August 2018, 22:14   #144
Paulee_Bow

I want this on floppy disks in a little cardboard folder, otherwise it’s not a real release LOL
Old 07 August 2018, 22:46   #145
nogginthenog
Amigan

Looking forward to this also. With Olaf & Thor involved it should be good.
It will be interesting to see how this compares to / complements / replaces 3.9.
Old 07 August 2018, 23:34   #146
rare_j
Zone Friend

Any plans you can share regarding distribution? Hopefully the usual outlets will stock it. OS4 FE did very well at £20 I understand.

Where will you even find enough DS DD floppys to distribute it on?
Old 07 August 2018, 23:48   #147
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post

BTW, if it wasnt mentioned before, we are feature frozen, which means that nothing else is being added. We are just cleaning the last bits and solving any bugs left. Which means testing, testing and yet even more testing.

Sounds like a wise decision.
Old 08 August 2018, 00:50   #148
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Any plans you can share regarding distribution? Hopefully the usual outlets will stock it. OS4 FE did very well at £20 I understand.

Where will you even find enough DS DD floppys to distribute it on?
I am sorry but I cant share that kind of information unless authorized. And even then, there are some details that I honestly dont know.
Old 08 August 2018, 00:58   #149
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Looking forward to this also. With Olaf & Thor involved it should be good.
It will be interesting to see how this compares to / complements / replaces 3.9.
Both Olaf and Thomas are doing an excellent job, but there are also other very hard working developers that deserve credit. But at the moment, it is their choice to remain anonymous, so I will respect that.

It is up to them to come up and say Hi!

Last edited by gulliver; 08 August 2018 at 03:48. Reason: grammar
Old 08 August 2018, 04:19   #150
hth313

Sounds great!

Is Amiga Inc, the owner, behind this?
Old 08 August 2018, 04:41   #151
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by hth313 View Post
Sounds great!

Is Amiga Inc, the owner, behind this?
No, it is Hyperion Entertainment.
Old 11 September 2018, 03:33   #152
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

I was considering installing OS 3.9 on my A3000 system once I put a bit more RAM in it - (I already use and love 3.9 on my A4000, A1200 and WinUAE) - but instead I think I will keep it at 3.1 and upgrade it to 3.14! This is pretty exciting knowing we are getting an "official" update after a few decades!

This is interesting hearing we are getting an improved printing system, too. It would be nice if it supported network printing out of the box, but I suppose I will have to keep using netprint.
Old 11 September 2018, 06:38   #153
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic_Computi View Post
This is interesting hearing we are getting an improved printing system, too. It would be nice if it supported network printing out of the box, but I suppose I will have to keep using netprint.
Networking is out of the scope of this update.

After all this is a minor update to 3.1 (well, not so minor now).
Old 11 September 2018, 14:34   #154
Englyst

This is great news. Thanks to all the hard working developers.

Can't wait to have it in my A2000 when it's released - which hopefully will have a Vampire board in it within the foreseeable future. It's great to see a lot of stuff still being made for the Amiga.
Old 12 September 2018, 21:27   #155
tom256

Request to developers: Provide us short update once per month if possible please.
Old 12 September 2018, 21:36   #156
shaf

i'd like to see a new Kickstart ROM if possible patched to allow for the 68060 cpu on the A4000 if possible. That would be a patched Exec Library.
Old 12 September 2018, 21:43   #157
HanSolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom256 View Post
Request to developers: Provide us short update once per month if possible please.

yeah. Including detailed changelog of system libraries like exec.library etc.
Old 13 September 2018, 01:47   #158
gulliver
BoingBagged

Hi,

I cannot give you too much details as I have signed an NDA and need to ask for authorization for any statement regarding 3.1.4, but I can regurgitate some information which is available thru other media without problems, and give you an overview of where we are right now.

Yes, we have new roms which are not patched, they are heavily reworked from sources and have fixes and enhancements all over the place. The system is now 68060 friendly by design.

All features that were anounced have been already implemented (and yet we added a few extra minor features more), that said, we are still fixing bugs, mostly "polishing the edges" and doing some translations.

We are certainly not short of good ideas, but we have to be realistic: manpower is limited and we did not want to reach a feature creep scenario, as this is an update, not a new OS version.

That said, the update is not minor at all IMHO, lots of things have been fixed and enhanced, to just give you a brief overview:

-The FastFileSystem now supports long filenames, and has been designed to operate asynchronously, which means that the file system does not have to wait any more in a queue for each operation to be finished to perform the next one. This helps multitasking a lot.

-CrossDos now also supports long filenames and FAT32, and is also asynchronous by design.

-The cdrom filesystem has been enhanced, supports UDF format and, of course, also operates asynchronously.

-The printing system has been heavily bugfixed. It used to be a mess full of bugs lurking every corner, and many drivers and functions did not even work as intended. Now it is much more stable than any other prior OS version (including 3.5/3.9).

-Scsi.device now properly handles disks greater than 4GB without problems, and is properly supported within the OS. I mean that all disk based commands and tools can operate both with large filenames and drives bigger than 4GB, which was never the case before (even in patched 3.9 systems).

-Olaf Barthel developed a new DiskDoctor program which now helps to extensively diagnose and backup damaged Amiga partitions. It is a very powerful tool you should treasure.

I risk to say that up to this point, about 90% or even more of the Operating system has seen changes of some type, be it mostly bugfixes, some optimisations and/or minor enhancements.

Keep in mind this is not an eye candy update. To the untrained eye, it will seem very similar to a 3.1 system. Nearly all the changes are "under the hood". We mainly focused on bugfixing the core of AmigaOS.

The update will come in floppies and I am sure Hyperion thru some vendors will offer other type of media for sale.

As for the pricing, I really dont know, but seeing Hyperion´s track record, I can speculate something decently affordable.

We have no final date for release yet. Remember we are still working on it, but only doing the finishing touches and fixes.
Old 13 September 2018, 02:45   #159
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

This is pretty exciting stuff. I know that in another thread regarding this update Thomas Richter mentioned that the updates are minor and not to expect huge things. I guess from his perspective this may be true. But for those of us that use OS3.1 and have had to endure workarounds for certain issues, these updates are significant and highly anticipated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Keep in mind this is not an eye candy update. To the untrained eye, it will seem very similar to a 3.1 system. Nearly all the changes are "under the hood". We mainly focused on bugfixing the core of AmigaOS.
And this is fine by me. Although I have no issues with the look of OS3.1, if I want to update the look I can do that myself. There is always Classic Workbench which can be used with this update to help with the look and feel.

Once again, thanks guys for this update. This is awesome!
Old 13 September 2018, 03:23   #160
shaf

This is a must buy for me, when it gets released.