English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 24 December 2015, 23:06   #1
Photon

Youtube mangles recorded uploads from WinUAE - best way?

This is obviously not a WinUAE problem, but I thought it relevant to post here since I'd like to know if there's a good way now to avoid the mangling, and perhaps to even record 50 fps video. I thought the codec settings in WinUAE matters in this.

I've tried the "recordedamigagames" approach, but that seems to not apply anymore? Or the docs on how to do it have been updated and I've not checked properly. I'm trying to say that using the Camtasia, Virtualdub etc steps will not avoid the mangling anymore the way it used to.

The symptoms are mainly framerate stutters in perfectly smooth scrollers, and codec mangling of colorful copperbars etc. Yellow text on blue background? Whoa there Nelly, you're asking too much!

So if there's an expert here, please teach me

If the advice is to not use Youtube but upload it elsewhere or optimize the video from 500MB to 50 MB and host it perfectly yourself, I'll listen with both ears too.
Old 24 December 2015, 23:44   #2
JanciB

I am using this approach. Display windowed 720x576. Line mode single. Resolution Lores. Sound unticked Automatic switching.
Filter Null filter, horiz. size 2x, vert. size 2x. Output capture before filtering (with this you can play at 2x resolution,
but record only at 1x resolution).
Audio codec pcm 44,100, 16Bit, Stereo.
Video codec Lagarith.

After recording I am using Avisynth, where I crop the video, resize it with point resize to 2x.
Then resize it with Lanczos to vertical size 720. Then add borders so the resulting frame size is 1280x720.
At the end i need to add ConvertToYV12() filter because i want to compress it with x264. This modifies the colors a little bit.

The avs file I load to Megui and compress it with highest nero aac quality and lossless x264.
Mux it to mp4 file.
Youtube plays it at 720@50 fine.
Old 25 December 2015, 03:33   #3
vagrant

afaik there is nothing you can do about colorspace in regard to youtube.
Even if you upload uncompressed RGB, youtube will still convert to YUV colorspace.

About framerate; Even with stutter-free uploads, youtube's html5 player will still sometimes produce random choppy playback.
50/60fps is fairly new for yt, so you would think support will improve over time, but for now I think the only way to guarantee stutter-free experience is to watch the video locally
Old 25 December 2015, 15:10   #4
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanciB View Post
I am using this approach. Display windowed 720x576. Line mode single. Resolution Lores. Sound unticked Automatic switching.
Filter Null filter, horiz. size 2x, vert. size 2x. Output capture before filtering (with this you can play at 2x resolution,
but record only at 1x resolution).
Audio codec pcm 44,100, 16Bit, Stereo.
Video codec Lagarith.

After recording I am using Avisynth, where I crop the video, resize it with point resize to 2x.
Then resize it with Lanczos to vertical size 720. Then add borders so the resulting frame size is 1280x720.
At the end i need to add ConvertToYV12() filter because i want to compress it with x264. This modifies the colors a little bit.

The avs file I load to Megui and compress it with highest nero aac quality and lossless x264.
Mux it to mp4 file.
Youtube plays it at 720@50 fine.
Thanks, this is the recordedamigagames method I mentioned, I will check if there's some step that's different from mine, but I have made 50 Hz videos using this method with borders to create a perfect video. The problem I had was that I got an FPS of 49.997, not 50, and that made the uploader not recognize it at 50. I've tweaked the framerate output in WinUAE up to 50.1 Hz, but I still don't get an exact 50 fps that Youtube will recognize on upload. The 720p50 option is missing.

I'll try with the Lagarith codec to start with, but this will surely trigger a recode by Youtube since it will not allow such bitrates.
Old 25 December 2015, 15:17   #5
JanciB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Thanks, this is the recordedamigagames method I mentioned, I will check if there's some step that's different from mine, but I have made 50 Hz videos using this method with borders to create a perfect video. The problem I had was that I got an FPS of 49.997, not 50, and that made the uploader not recognize it at 50. I've tweaked the framerate output in WinUAE up to 50.1 Hz, but I still don't get an exact 50 fps that Youtube will recognize on upload. The 720p50 option is missing.
Hmm, I always get exactly 50FPS. You could add AssumeFPS(50, true) filter.
Old 28 December 2015, 20:48   #6
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Is your PC display coming out a monitor or HD-TV?

Might be worth mentioning, but if your PC display is outputting at 60hz (like most do using HDMI on HD-TV's) then viewing a video at 50fps on a 60hz display will compromise the smoothness.