English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 18 January 2016, 17:54   #21
eXeler0

@Samurai_Crow Basically I agree but I thought of this after reading about the Odyssey browser in another thread and realized it will never happen on 68k, Appllo-core or not, it matters not.
So I thought about alternative cheap solutions to the same problem. And if we don't have to reinvent the wheel by using already fully capable browsers on some cheap piece of hardware that can actually sit inside the Amiga then that might be interesting to examine the "cheap tricks" imo. ;-) It will probably become apparent that all alternatives need custom solutions that don't exist yet, but maybe some of them could spark some interest... we'll see..
Old 18 January 2016, 18:12   #22
TenLeftFingers

Samurai_Crow, well as KolibriOS and others show it's possible to write a great browser in assembler. I definitely take the point about this being the better route. But at the end of the day I want to do more browsing on the Amiga. So if it's a choice between RPi and nothing I'll pick the RPi.

I guess a bounty wouldn't help either or an ASM 68k browser would have happened already.
Old 18 January 2016, 20:58   #23
nogginthenog
Amigan

But what's the best way to link a RPi to an Amiga? Serial/Parallel? Ethernet would make sense but it would be nice to use the PI as a cheap network adapter.
Old 18 January 2016, 21:43   #24
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

The RasPi already has a proprietary parallel pin header on the motherboard but you would still need a lot of support circuits to interface it with the parallel port.

At least the Plip box has software support already written. It is a pity that we would still need software one way or the other.
Old 19 January 2016, 13:37   #25
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
But what's the best way to link a RPi to an Amiga? Serial/Parallel? Ethernet would make sense but it would be nice to use the PI as a cheap network adapter.
Depends from data - video from Amiga to RPi by MIPI camera interface (so Amiga graphic data are like camera data stream), in opposite direction - best DMA transfer to CHIP RAM (with Vampire board where CHIP bandwidth is not a problem this can provide 25 fps with virtually 0% CPU usage).

Low speed data (20Mbps) over SPI bidirectionally - I assume with 2 SPI active almost whole OCS bandwidth can be saturated...
Old 19 January 2016, 17:38   #26
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
The RasPi already has a proprietary parallel pin header on the motherboard but you would still need a lot of support circuits to interface it with the parallel port.
Actually I was thinking about a USB parallel port adapter for the PI.
Old 19 January 2016, 18:00   #27
idrougge

Those are only made for printers, aren't they?
Old 19 January 2016, 19:09   #28
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Actually I was thinking about a USB parallel port adapter for the PI.
You can use something like this http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT245R.htm fast FIFO without problems related to printer adapters.
But once again SPI on RPi is sufficiently fast to be used as parallel port alternative, side to this in RPi DAM can be used for SPI, not sure if DMA can be used for GPIO on RPi and ARM CPU's are relatively slow performing GPIO control by software (similar to other modern CPU's with pipelining and caches).
Old 01 December 2016, 10:45   #29
eXeler0

I should talk to this guy ;-)

http://1amstudios.com/2016/11/27/c64-slack-client/

Skickat från min LG-H850 via Tapatalk