English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 17 September 2016, 23:38   #1
Sinphaltimus

Disable RAM: disk?

WB 3.1 - is there a way to disable the RAM: disk? Or possibly redirect it to physical storage completely defeating its purpose?

Try to setup MUI and it decompressess to my ram disk until I'm out of ram. Only 1 MB Chip total.
Old 17 September 2016, 23:47   #2
-Acid-

There is no point (if even possible when running WB) as the ram disk is only ever as big as it's contents, ie what you have put in it. Any other memory in use is being used by running programs or for the display etc. Why don't you decompress MUI to your hard drive first then install it?
Old 17 September 2016, 23:53   #3
thomas

Why do you install it at all? Just unpack it to the harddrive and change the assign in user-startup to the new directory.

Anyway, you can change RAM: to disk like this:

- create a directory named Ram Disk on your Work partition.
- Give it a nice icon.
- Leave out the icon.
- Put this into startup-sequence as the first statements, even before setpatch:

Code:
assign RAM: dismount
assign RAM: "Work:Ram Disk"
delete RAM: all quiet force
Then reboot.
Old 18 September 2016, 00:09   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I don't think the OP has a HardDisk.
If I'm not mistaken he's using an A500 with 3.1 1mb chip according to his other post.
Old 18 September 2016, 00:48   #5
thomas

It does not make sense to use MUI without a harddrive.
Old 18 September 2016, 01:27   #6
Sinphaltimus

Thank you much thomas, that did the trick. I do have an hdd. it's 50MB. Only have a meg of ram, need MUI as part of a package install suite I got from Aminet to try and get my Amiga on the internet via serial cable to PC. =step 1 was to install MUI 3.8 but the version that came with the package kept getting an error at some line in code. Needed a different source for the MUI installer and then found one in the TOSEC or whatever that's called. Went to install that and it decompresses to ram: which caused me to urun out of ram with no way to install. I was stuck. I don't know how to do anything on the Amiga anymore. It's slowly coming back the more I do. I had to google how to edit the startup-sequence. Yeah. it's been that long.

Thank you much for your help.

now on to step 2...
Old 18 September 2016, 10:26   #7
thomas

This is the official MUI 3.8 installation package: http://aminet.net/util/libs/mui38usr.lha

It does not decompress anything, you have to manually unpack the LhA archive to a location of your choice.

You should always look on Aminet first. It is legal and virus-free.
Old 18 September 2016, 12:31   #8
Sinphaltimus

This is the source of my download -
http://www.retro-commodore.eu/networ...-on-the-amiga/

All I'm trying to do is install TCP-IP on wb 3.1 so I can somehow figure out how to get my Amiga on the internet via the serial link I have between it and Amiga Explorer on my PC. I am a registered user of Amiga Forever and I own a physical Amiga that I'm simply trying to have some fun with again. I didn't think it mattered much where I download from these days. I'm just using google and this forum for help and instruction.

The ultimate goal is to get back in to music and animation on it. I'd like to start learning how to develop for it as well but those will have to wait until I get a Vampire II upgrade as I don't have enough ram or enough storage or horse power and everything is old and expensive.

Regardless, this has been a bust so far. That download package doesn't help. It's just a package for people who have a wireless ethernet card.

Perhaps I'll just start a new thread and ask about the serial internet to PC thing.

At least I learned that assigning paths is just about the same as on a pc. I should probably take some time to rtf-shell-m while I'm at it.
Old 18 September 2016, 13:25   #9
thomas

If you have a serial connection and want to use Amiga Explorer, then you should use the serial connection directly, without TCP/IP. It would only make the transfer slower.

BTW, you won't get far with just one MB of memory. MUI + Miami will eat up at least 2 MB. And then you don't yet run any network software, i.e. a browser or FTP or AExplorer. This would need another MB at least.

So using AExplorer over serial is the best solution. Just configure Amiga Explorer for serial transmission and leave out TCP/IP.
Old 18 September 2016, 14:24   #10
Sinphaltimus

I understand that. I am already transferring successfully from pc to Amiga. What I want to do is get the Amiga on the internet. So I suppose I don't need any tcp at all then.

Already started a new thread about this specific need.

As far as being able to redirect ram: drive, that's been answered. Thank you.
Old 18 September 2016, 15:20   #11
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
It does not make sense to use MUI without a harddrive.
Well, that's what I was thinking, but apparently old Sinphaltimus has a HardDisk.

@ Sinphaltimus, how are you connecting the Harddisk, A590?
Old 18 September 2016, 16:18   #12
Sinphaltimus

GVP impact series II A500 HD+.

The ram slots don't work but the controller does.

And I don't have access to fast scsi drives. I attempted a fast scsi to lvd scsi adapter but it didn't work.

So I'm stuck with a 50MB HDD for now.
Old 11 July 2019, 23:08   #13
jmprice_314159

How to reduce size of ram disk in A1200 that consumes most of fast ram?

Hi all,

How to reduce size of ram disk in A1200 that consumes most of the fast ram? I've read that the ram disk is only supposed to use as much ram as the items stored in it. But, mine is 12% full but consumes close to 3 MB of my fast ram in the expansion card. Is there any way to reduce the size of the ram disk to free up the fast ram?

I'm a new owner of the A1200 and don't know much about Amigas.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 11 July 2019, 23:46   #14
AMIGASYSTEM

In the meantime I suggest you to install this small utility named "Env-handler", which will allow you to have the RAM Disk Clean without the folder ENV with all its files

http://aminet.net/package/util/sys/envhandler
Old 12 July 2019, 00:08   #15
jmprice_314159

There is an icon labeled "Clear Ram" which I have run but it doesn't reduce the ram disk size or free up much fast ram. Basically, all I want to do is reduce the ram disk size from around 3 MB down to around 1 MB, so that it frees up 2 MB of fast ram. Googling yielded no useful results. Is there also a way to disable a ram drive completely to free up all the memory? Or, does doing that break something else? I read somewhere something about "RAD Boot" so maybe that is what the ram disk is, but I don't know how to verify. I read that normally a ram disk will always be 100% full, but mine is 12%.

Last edited by jmprice_314159; 12 July 2019 at 00:25.
Old 12 July 2019, 00:32   #16
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes AmigaOS is a complex system, when you get to know it better you will see that it is simpler than you imagine.

AmigaOS uses RAM as if it were a Disk, from RAM you can for example create Disks, format them and even boot a system (virtual floppy "RAD").

Clear Ram is an application that cleans the RAM not only from the ENV files (preference used by the system) but also deletes the libraries used from the memory, useful when you have to replace a library without the need to restart the system.
Old 12 July 2019, 00:46   #17
jmprice_314159

Understood, but running "Clear Ram" did not reduce the memory consumption of the ram disk, so doesn't solve the issue. Is there any way to change the ram disk from 3 MB to 1 MB? Or, disable it completely so it is not active? Right now, it consumes so much fast ram I cannot do much with the Amiga.
Old 12 July 2019, 00:51   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

You can disable FAST RAM but then you'll only have 2 MB of Chip left and you can do even less.

What AmigaOS are you using? What can't you start?
Old 12 July 2019, 01:02   #19
jmprice_314159

I don't want to disable fast ram, just reduce the ram used by the "ram disk". For whatever reason, the OS has been configured to waste almost all the ram on the ram disk, which is preventing a lot of games from running in WHDload.
Old 12 July 2019, 01:34   #20
AMIGASYSTEM

With A1200 2MB Chip and 4MB Fast you should be able to start almost any WHDLoad game whether OCS/ECS/AGA.

If you can't start the games the reasons may be:

- OS with many colors and backgrounds Workbench
- Run many programs from WBStartup or startup-sequence
- with WHDLoad use Preload parameter (inside Tooltypes)