English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 November 2013, 18:17   #1
Leandro Jardim

Dual channel could speed up WinUAE?

Dual channel is disabled on my computer, does this can hurt WinUAE performance greatly? How much, an estimative? To help you, its a Intel Dual Core E5200 2.60 GHz with 3 GB RAM DDR2.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 17 November 2013 at 21:38.
Old 15 November 2013, 09:30   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Answer is 100% yes, emulators need to move lots of data around, all the time, memory bandwidth is very important.

No idea how big or small is real world speed difference.
Old 15 November 2013, 10:22   #3
Dr.Venom

Hi Toni,

In case we would want to benchmark WinUAE performance, is there maybe some sort of benchmark option? I thought I read somewhere about "warp" mode, but I've no idea if that is meant as a benchmark option or how to activate it.

Would be very nice to have a proper benchmark, gives us something more to play with when trying out different / new hardware
Old 15 November 2013, 10:51   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I am very anti-benchmark program. They can very easily show crazy results compared to real-world programs.
Old 15 November 2013, 13:03   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Answer is 100% yes, emulators need to move lots of data around, all the time, memory bandwidth is very important.

No idea how big or small is real world speed difference.
What about ganged and unganged.
Im guessing unganged would have a performance hit.
Old 15 November 2013, 13:53   #6
Dr.Venom

Quote:
I am very anti-benchmark program. They can very easily show crazy results compared to real-world programs.
Is there a way to run WinUAE fully "unthrottled" (i.e. no video or audio sync)?

For example my benchmark could be to run Hybris and Mental Hangover for a minute -unthrottled- in A500 quickstart most accurate. The result would be a % speed value, which tells you how many times faster the emulation is than a a real world machine running the same game or demo.

The advantage being that it really tells something about the power of your hardware, and makes it comparable between different hardware setups. It would then for example also be easy to see (if someone would go through the effort) what the difference would be for single/dual/triple/quadruple, etc. memory bandwidths, or different cpu speeds, etc. I guess it could be a simple measure without the drawbacks of traditional benchmarking programs?

You got my vote for a "-nothrottle" command line option at least
Old 15 November 2013, 14:10   #7
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Theoretically in WinUAE cycle-exact mode any benchmark program should show the same values as on a real Amiga, right?

Last edited by amilo3438; 15 November 2013 at 14:17.
Old 15 November 2013, 14:25   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It was about benchmark of your PC, how fast it can run emulation.

Just enable "warp" mode.
Old 15 November 2013, 14:30   #9
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Well then, if would be possible that WinUAE, when it starts first time, do some kind of internal benchmark and propose the optimal settings for that PC with showing some message f.e.: "Your PC is not capable of running the WinUAE in CE mode!".

EDIT: Or maybe to adjust the settings internally by itself with also showing some properly message.

Such benchmark could test is a PC capable of running WinUAE at max load without dropping any frame of sound buffer or something else?!

And continue to decrease some of option values, testing whole again until found the optimal value.

EDIT1: And then generate "default" configuration file inside the same configuration folder. It would make life easier for beginners.

EDIT2: Other possibility would be to run such benchmark after manually changing some option values to see if the PC is capable of running it at max load.

p.s. If that all looks too much complicated, then the possible massage maybe would be f.e: "Buy the fastest = latest PC ... I am not going to support old PCs."

Last edited by amilo3438; 15 November 2013 at 15:21.
Old 15 November 2013, 18:30   #10
Dr.Venom

Quote:

Just enable "warp" mode.
With the risk of sounding really stupid now (I'm ready to hide quickly), what is "warp" mode and how do I enable it?
Old 15 November 2013, 18:38   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438 View Post
Well then, if would be possible that WinUAE...
You missed my previous answer (and I think you still misunderstood the point of this test, it is not about capability to run emulation, it is about testing how much faster hardware X can run it compared to hardware Y or setting X vs Y)

Synthetic benchmarks are bad choice for this kind of testing. Users would attempt to optimize for case that never happens in real world and may actually slow down real world performance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Venom View Post
With the risk of sounding really stupid now (I'm ready to hide quickly), what is "warp" mode and how do I enable it?
end+pause or warp=true in config file. Frame limiter and sound gets disabled, emulation runs as fast as possible.
Old 15 November 2013, 18:58   #12
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
You missed my previous answer (and I think you still misunderstood the point of this test, it is not about capability to run emulation, it is about testing how much faster hardware X can run it compared to hardware Y or setting X vs Y)
It was just moment of inspiration, an idea triggered by your answer.

(p.s. I know, it was always the question of which is better ... mean the PC. )
Old 15 November 2013, 19:39   #13
mc6809e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
Dual channel is disabled on my computer, does this can hurt WinUAE performance greatly? How much, an estimative? To help you, its a Intel Dual Core E5200 2.60 MHz with 3 GB RAM DDR2.
I use a slower Core 2 Duo at 2.13GHz.

The biggest improvement in speed with WinUAE came after I installed a cheap PCI-e graphics card and turned off integrated graphics.

I rarely see stuttering now.