English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 10 May 2012, 14:45   #1001
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
Now we need a BMON switch specially designed to take the INDY mk2 and other board(s) in lieu and place of the RF modulator (Voodoo + Bvision ?)

Old 10 May 2012, 14:54   #1002
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Looking very neat, when do you think you'll have these HDMI adapters for sale?

Hi,

Final revision boards will be here tomorrow, so hopefully by end of next weekend (Its a long weekend here in Canada next weekend). I have some other little projects too, it won't be long though. I don't think there will be many people that can actually display HDMI until the new cores are released. Who here can get HDMI working ?
Old 10 May 2012, 15:38   #1003
paulo_becas

I'm using a Samsung 4:3 LCD Monitor and i don't experience any problems with the image, i'm using highgfx driver, the only thing i noticed is that it is a little slow in a 1024x768 256 colour environment and the image in the games is cut in half, i can't center the image. In workbench works perfectly now i'm trying to put a heatsink on alice and on top of indi.
One question, do you guys only put a fan on top of them or you use a actual heatsink?
If i use the smallest hestsink i could found (it has 1 cm thick) on top of alice the keyboard won't fit properly, instead if i just put the fan on top it fits perfectly (it has 0,5 cm), any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Your observation confirms what I wrote earlier in this thread: The vertical lines are caused by a difference between the pixelclock used by Indivision AGA MK2 and the pixelclock that the flatscreen is using. This shifts the sample-spot in relation to the actual pixel, giving the effect that you're seeing.

You will be able to completely eliminate the vertical lines with the forthcoming config tool, as that will let you configure the output mode to a Vesa standard. The sampled pixels of the flatscreen will then be "on the spot" where Indivision AGA MK2 produces them, and you'll have a crystal clear picture. That same crystal-clear picture is already possible if you're using the DVI connection - a purely digital connection does not require any sampling and thus doesn't have the artefacts that come with sampling.

Jens
Hi Jens!

Do you have any prediction on when the config tool and the new cores will be ready?
Is it hard to flash the indi?

Sorry for the questions but i want to make everything perfect, i already ruined one 1200 with experiences and i don't want to do the same with this one.
Old 10 May 2012, 16:39   #1004
PopoCop

I've just installed INDI MK2 in my A1200 and nothing happens

My Compaq VGA CRT (I've been using for years with external scandoubler) shows black screen and behaves like there is no input signal at all.
I also tried Samsung LCD with VGA cable and it doesn't display anything ('no signal').

I know that config tool is not available yet but CRT should work without it!

One more thing: do your INDIS fit tight on Lisa chip? I mean is it easy to remove scandoubler from Lisa? My INDI can be quite easy removed without much force - I accidentaly pressed it gently when mounting keyboard interface and it almost fell off.
Old 10 May 2012, 16:42   #1005
diablothe2nd

it should be very tight.... i could almost lift the whole amiga with it's gripping force.

perhaps you didn't quite fit it properly. make sure you fully support the underside of the motherboard so it doesn't bend... it should make a noticeable "crunch" noise as it is pushed home.

make sure you cant wiggle it first before putting down the thumb pressure though as per the manual.
Old 10 May 2012, 16:45   #1006
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_becas View Post
Do you have any prediction on when the config tool and the new cores will be ready?
Ooooh! Ooooh! I can answer this one!

'When they're ready'

(I think if you look through you'll see Jens has been unequivocally clear on not giving a date and recommending waiting before ordering if you need the config tool. If I'm misinterpreting anything, my humble apologies! )
Old 10 May 2012, 17:00   #1007
paulo_becas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
Ooooh! Ooooh! I can answer this one!

'When they're ready'

(I think if you look through you'll see Jens has been unequivocally clear on not giving a date and recommending waiting before ordering if you need the config tool. If I'm misinterpreting anything, my humble apologies! )
No problem, i'm just anxious to use the full power of indi, i guess i'm not alone on this one, i'm still working on the heatsink and how to stick it to alice
Old 10 May 2012, 17:38   #1008
p@rity

Quote:
No problem, i'm just anxious to use the full power of indi, i guess i'm not alone on this one, i'm still working on the heatsink and how to stick it to alice
I got my heatsink on Amazon (look for "2 Pack of Highly Conductive Black Anodized Aluminum Heatsink with Thermal Self-Adhesive Tape for PC and XBOX Use 21.4 C/W"). Yes... they are for XBOX... ugh... but they fit perfectly under the keyboard. You can take the self adhesive tape off and replace it with your preferred paste if you like.

However, in my case at least, a fan is still necessary. I am building one in over the weekend.

I attached an image of my screen when the system overheats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_corruption01.png
Views:	456
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	31585  
Old 10 May 2012, 17:45   #1009
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopoCop View Post
My INDI can be quite easy removed without much force
Push harder. Once it's on, you can lift the whole Amiga on the flickerfixer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p@rity View Post
I attached an image of my screen when the system overheats.
Classic chipset trouble, nothing actually caused by Indivision, but made visible by Indivision.

You can fix that by installing a 1k resistor (size 0805) on position R24 of the flickerfixer. If you don't want to solder on the flickerfixer, you can add a pullup-resistor on the CCK signal at pretty much any position of the mainboard.

Jens
Old 10 May 2012, 17:57   #1010
diablothe2nd

Jens, should this resistor issue only be done if needed? what happens if you later put that indi in a 1200 that doesn't need the fix?
Old 10 May 2012, 17:58   #1011
p@rity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Classic chipset trouble, nothing actually caused by Indivision, but made visible by Indivision.

You can fix that by installing a 1k resistor (size 0805) on position R24 of the flickerfixer. If you don't want to solder on the flickerfixer, you can add a pullup-resistor on the CCK signal at pretty much any position of the mainboard.

Jens
Thanks Jens... I will go ahead and install that resistor first then.
Old 10 May 2012, 18:20   #1012
Abaddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopoCop View Post
I've just installed INDI MK2 in my A1200 and nothing happens

My Compaq VGA CRT (I've been using for years with external scandoubler) shows black screen and behaves like there is no input signal at all.
I also tried Samsung LCD with VGA cable and it doesn't display anything ('no signal').

I know that config tool is not available yet but CRT should work without it!

One more thing: do your INDIS fit tight on Lisa chip? I mean is it easy to remove scandoubler from Lisa? My INDI can be quite easy removed without much force - I accidentaly pressed it gently when mounting keyboard interface and it almost fell off.
When I installed mine I also had a blank screen. I hooked the Amiga back up the original way and changed the screen mode to PAL Hires and saved. Then hooked the INDI MK2 back up using a DVI to VGA adapter and was able to see the screen. I then installed the HighGFX driver from aminet and enabled that. I tested a few other drivers as well, but the HighGFX one worked the best for me and then the multiscan driver (productivity).
Old 10 May 2012, 18:22   #1013
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
Jens, should this resistor issue only be done if needed?
Yes, only if you actually see the trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
what happens if you later put that indi in a 1200 that doesn't need the fix?
It might make the machine unstable. That's the reason why it's not installed on Indivision AGA MK2 by default. If you don't see that kind of problem on your machine, leave it as-is. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. And if you have a machine like that, but you're planning to use Indivision AGA MK2 in a different machine as wekk, you're best off installing the resistor on the mainboard rather than the flickerfixer.

Position R24 is just there for convenience. Again, it fixes the Amiga, not Indivision.

Jens
Old 10 May 2012, 18:32   #1014
paulo_becas

I was sniffing the web when i came across a way of fixing the heatsink to the chips, all they do was mixing super glue with thermal liquid then cover the chip with it and place the heatsink on it, wait a few minutes and that's it.
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this?
Old 10 May 2012, 18:35   #1015
diablothe2nd

Quote:
I was sniffing the web when i came across a way of fixing the heatsink to the chips, all they do was mixing super glue with thermal liquid then cover the chip with it and place the heatsink on it, wait a few minutes and that's it.
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this?

errrr i wouldn't! you'll never get the darn thing off in the future for whatever reason you might need.

silver paste holds pretty well by itself... but a drop of super glue on opposite corners where it makes contact will definitely keep it in place.... would require much less effort (and risk to the mainboard) if you need to remove it later
Old 10 May 2012, 18:38   #1016
Vinamp

This is my solution for potential overheating.
A small cpu fan, with a tiny drop of hot glue at the four outermost corners.
And in the grill at the top of the Amiga a slightly larger fan. (the aca 1230 56Mhz is also a lot cooler)
It stays really cool

Old 10 May 2012, 18:58   #1017
BeelzebubUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
yeah more screenmodes please!

btw @BeelzebubUK how fast is that mode? Any chance for a video?
Haven't really tried anything yet as I haven't used the Amiga for a long time and it only has a base build on it. I've turned it down to 64 colour for normal running.
Old 10 May 2012, 19:34   #1018
PopoCop

Update: I disassembled my A1200 from E/Box tower, put mainboard on a table and pushed Indivision on Lisa chip. It works now!

I've tested it for a while with Compaq CRT monitor:
- Early Startup Menu works OK,
- WB in Hires 640x256 works OK,
- WB in Hires Laced 640x512 - interlace is gone but when something is moving on the screen (mouse pointer) it looks like it's interlaced,
- Low Res game (Alien Breed 3d) works OK,
- Super Hires and Super Hires Laced are displayed but with many artefacts.

There is also "info" displayed in the left corner of the screen every time when screen mode is changed. Quite annoying but maybe config tool will let to turn it off
Old 10 May 2012, 19:39   #1019
Mr B

Isn't the "info" thingy from the screen it self? Loads of screens do that, to inform you that something changed, and so on.
B!
Old 10 May 2012, 20:30   #1020
PopoCop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Isn't the "info" thingy from the screen it self? Loads of screens do that, to inform you that something changed, and so on.
B!
I don't think so. My Compaq CRT was used with Amiga and PC and never displayed 'info' like it does now