English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 November 2015, 13:29   #1
iqb

A2000 working, but green screen before normal boot sequence

Hi there

For this issue I coudn't find any answer on all the resources I found in the web:

It's a working A2000, MB Rev 6. I did a proper cleaning after a battery leakage and replaced all parts around the battery including sockets, resistors, leads, capacitors etc. I did that after reading a lot about how to do and so on..

After all the work I switched on and the A2000 is booting up fine and also the RTC is recognized properly.

Before this repair the A2000 was working too- but unfortunately I can't remember if this issue was already there or not.

Here we go:

When I switch on the Amiga, the first screen color will be green, then dark grey, light grey, white and then the WB hand screen.

What I found on some sites, is that a color before the normal boot sequence colors (dark grey, light grey, white, hand) doesn't mean a malfunction, it just should be some artefacts from remaining data before the system cleans them. But this explanation I can only find on one or two sites and everywhere else - including here in the sticky one - it is just mentioned that green screen means bug (chip ram etc.).

I wonder that my other A2000 and also a A500 is not having this green screen before normal boot and I also don't remember that I should have seen that once on a working machine.

Is there someone out there who knows about this issue? If the green screen before dark grey, light grey, white and WB hand is actually meaning a malfunction?

Mayn many thanks!
iqb

Old 30 November 2015, 16:58   #2
mech

Green could mean error in chip ram.
you might want to run some ram check programs on the chip ram and see if anything shows up.
Agnus having bad contact with the socket could possibly cause this also.
Since you had to repair some battery damage,could be a intermittent trace or such?
Old 30 November 2015, 18:53   #3
iqb

Many thanks, mech, for your post.
Which tool would you recommend to test the ram chips?

The Agnus has solid contact. There also wasn't any corrosion to the Agnus and it's socket. Further I checked all other chips regarding to a bad contact.
The Kick and CPU sockets are replaced and all of the traces which where affected have been repaired. There shouldn't be any interrupted traces anymore.

The key question is if the short green screen before the correct boot procedure (dark grey, light grey, white, wb hand screens) is a report of a malfunction or not - regarding to how the system uses the screen colors? Are there other Amigas (500/2000) out there with the same behaviour?

I forgot to mention - Kick version is 1.3.

Old 01 December 2015, 14:53   #4
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqb View Post
Hi there

For this issue I coudn't find any answer on all the resources I found in the web:

It's a working A2000, MB Rev 6. I did a proper cleaning after a battery leakage and replaced all parts around the battery including sockets, resistors, leads, capacitors etc. I did that after reading a lot about how to do and so on..

After all the work I switched on and the A2000 is booting up fine and also the RTC is recognized properly.

Before this repair the A2000 was working too- but unfortunately I can't remember if this issue was already there or not.

Here we go:

When I switch on the Amiga, the first screen color will be green, then dark grey, light grey, white and then the WB hand screen.

What I found on some sites, is that a color before the normal boot sequence colors (dark grey, light grey, white, hand) doesn't mean a malfunction, it just should be some artefacts from remaining data before the system cleans them. But this explanation I can only find on one or two sites and everywhere else - including here in the sticky one - it is just mentioned that green screen means bug (chip ram etc.).

I wonder that my other A2000 and also a A500 is not having this green screen before normal boot and I also don't remember that I should have seen that once on a working machine.

Is there someone out there who knows about this issue? If the green screen before dark grey, light grey, white and WB hand is actually meaning a malfunction?

Mayn many thanks!
iqb
Hello,
Goto -

http://grandis.nu:81/eabsearch/

search for -

amigatroubleshooter

when it comes up on the list click on it to dload.

It may help you find a solution.
Old 03 December 2015, 07:12   #5
Codetsu

if colors just flash that is normal for kickstart ROM 1.x
Old 03 December 2015, 08:57   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It can be normal and it is not error code color.

Very first color immediately after power up (not after reset, before screen turns black/dark grey) is sort of random, it seems to at least partially depend on Denise revision (contents of color palette 0 value at power up). I have seen white, black and purple.
Old 04 December 2015, 21:01   #7
iqb

Woah, Toni - you're the man - and Codetsu, you too!

Wonderful and thank you guys. I was sure that there will be someone around who has more detailed knowledge about this behaviour...

In fact, it has definitly to do with the Denise chip. Part of the story is, that - as it happens while fixing a motherboard from a battery leakage - one's never 100 percent sure, that every trace is 100 percent steady conntacting, even if you repaired and checked everyone with a multimeter... So, althought the A2000 was booting properly, I wasn't absolutly sure if this steady prompting green screen after power on (never after a reset!) could be a sign for some kind of malfunction. Actually it comes up, say 9 of 10 times at a switch on procedure, directly after switching on - around 500ms of green screen, then dark grey, light, white and wb hand. In some very rare cases, the green screen didn't show up (but never another color...).
So now, after your inputs, I exchanged the DENISE with another one (CSG 8362R8, 1691) - it's actually the same revision R8, but have been manufactered later than the original one (MOS 8362R8, 0688) and ... the situation has changed:
With the newer Denise I got different colors: dark grey as normal (actually the real normal and 100% uncritical situation) and also dark red or purple before normal boot procedure.
As soon as I went back to the original Denise, i had the green back in most of the times.

Summing up: It wasn't a sign of an error in this case (at least until now), it just could happen in some circumstances...

I'm happy that this A2000 has another 27 years of life

Old 15 April 2018, 20:41   #8
RiP
Q

I have exactly the same greeny situation too, big thanks