English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 17 June 2017, 15:32   #1
IvanEBC

Screenmodes / Picasso96 and BenQ912

Hi Guys.

I got a VA2000 recently, I installed it via (short short version)
Install picasso9620.lha -> only uaegfx -> adjust tooltype to point to card driver mntgfx, save, reboot, and my WB looks .. SUPER lovely, i choose 800x600, it removed all the borders too and my 19" Benq looks incredible.

Issue is playing any game, and i mean ANY game, whether that's an old stunt car racer or a Adoom (where i can select 800x600 for the actual GFX card), i end up in a small window with black borders on two sides, the higher the res, the worse it gets.

So i didn't just come here crying, i have had a read, mostly folks discussing not having the screenmodes setup.

Well, there's alot to cover and alot i do not wish to mess with, so looking for a guide or help, or healthy discussion to push me in the right direction as i've never played with picasso or screenmode setups.

If i use the Picasso96mode, and i select say 800x600 and click TEST (and above) then i get full screens, but anything less, and i get 3/4 screens filled, i have a feeling if i mess around, i can get this full screen but not really sure where to start, there's alot of numbers

I see something called PVS that picasso installed that "might" be useful, but again, afraid to play because getting something wrong means the chance of losing picture and having a bad night trying to undo it without image display
I wonder if there's a chance the BenQ912 can't handle the mode, but BEFORE i got the VA2000, and i was just using standard outputs via RBG port, all the games using the same resolution run fine and full screen, with standard Amiga black borders all around of course.

So either VA2000 can't handle those modes properly, or something needs to be configured in Picasso96.

Thank you ... like .. again!
Old 17 June 2017, 20:26   #2
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Picasso96Mode can be very daunting when you first start using it but it gets easier to work with once you've done a few screenmodes.

You'll need the min and max frequency ranges (Horizontal and Vertical) so you know what limits your monitor has. Once you create a screenmode (say 800x600x8bit) you would just copy that and change it's depth to hicolor, then true color, etc... (depending on your cards abilities). A few things I've used to get a better understanding of what I was doing was this site.
http://cd.textfiles.com/amigama/amig...sso96Mode.html

and the faq section

http://cd.textfiles.com/amigama/amig...enModeFAQ.html

I also use a tool off aminet called UMC
http://aminet.net/package/driver/video/umc

Which will let you input the resolution and frequency (ex. 1280x1024 @ 60hz) and it'll tell you the numbers for FrameSize, Bordersize, Position, SyncSize, SyncPolarity and Frequency. These number may not be exactly what works for your card/monitor but it can get you close where you can then tweak the settings..

I also try some of these settings based on the VESA standards, and sometimes you can easily find the VESA modes your monitor supports.

http://tinyvga.com/vga-timing