English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 04 June 2003, 23:37   #1
[Mr_L]

Amiga 2000 to WinUAE...

All,

I wonder in anybody can help me with a problem that I have.

I have an Amiga 2000 (not mine) that an old friend of mine wants transferred to the PC. Basically, he wants to run all files etc under WinUAE which is fine.

The Amiga is very battered, the keyboard is partly busted up and the monitor will only stay powered on if the power switch is jammed in, you get the picture!

This machine has a GVP hard disk setup and is running two SCSI hard disks.

I have no way of transferring files to this as I believe the floppy drive is potentially shot away and I cannot find CrossDos on this system. It has been many years since I actually owned a real Amiga.

One solution would be to install a SCSI card (I have a bag of them) into my PC and try to read the drive's with that. Is this possible?

Somebody suggested that I could use WinUAE and actually read the drives when physically installed... :eek

Technically I can do what every is required, but any suggestions even using a serial cable to transfer all the files will be most apprichated.

Thank you.
Old 05 June 2003, 04:00   #2
[Mr_L]

Find the way to do it eventually and had it confirmed elsewhere in a previous post from somebody at these forums, copying now!

Phew! Forgot how slow old Amiga drives used to be!!!
Old 05 June 2003, 05:38   #3
gary

Can you tell me how you did it and possibly what choices you had?

I'm interested in moving a lot of files back & forth between a PC and Amiga hard disks and have only been using a serial link (slow). If I could get hold of a SCSI card (I assume an old SCSI1 type) what do I need in terms of software on the PC? I once heard about a Linux filesystem module that could handle Amigas FFS but thats all I've heard.
Old 05 June 2003, 11:52   #4
[Mr_L]

Sure!

First thing I did was plugged a ISA Adaptec scsi (scsi 1) card into my PC.

Booted Windows so I knew it would see it under device manager. Used the latest version of WinUAE and setup a hard disk using the directory option. Here I made it bootable so the config would automatically take me into the Workbench.

Shut down the PC. Connected the first hard drive.

Rebooted and went into WinUAE. Windows did not detect the new hard disk but I saw it listed in the boot sequence when the Adaptec card initialised.

Loaded the config for me setup as mentioned above. On the hard drive setup area, there was a hard disk option. This is a drop down menu. It did not show a hard disk until dropped down and I could see the SCSI device. Selected this, saved the config.

Ran the config and the hard disk was available on the desktop. Since I was a directory as my inital hard disk and had no space issues, I used Directory Opus to copy the entire contents to a folder.

Repeated for the second hard disk and then once copied, scrapped the initial hard disk that I had created and used the ones that were dumped down. Worked perfectly...
Old 05 June 2003, 21:37   #5
mtb

Quote:
Originally posted by gary
Can you tell me how you did it and possibly what choices you had?

I'm interested in moving a lot of files back & forth between a PC and Amiga hard disks and have only been using a serial link (slow). If I could get hold of a SCSI card (I assume an old SCSI1 type) what do I need in terms of software on the PC? I once heard about a Linux filesystem module that could handle Amigas FFS but thats all I've heard.
With linux you can mount the hd with something like:

mkdir /mnt/hdamiga

( to create the dir )

mount -t affs -o ro /dev/ [ the name of the device of the scsi hd ] /mnt/hdamiga

I have tried ( with an ide hd from a 4000 ) and it works perfectly.

Also i think you can do something interesting with adfopus.
Old 06 June 2003, 08:03   #6
Gary Harrison

I use a program called PC2Amiga. Software is run on both the Amiga and the PC side, and the two machines connected using a lap-link serial or parallel cable.

Once connected, you can run the show from either the Aimga or the PC. The PC gets mounted on the Amiga as a new device ( PC: ) and the Amiga is mounted as a drive letter on the PC.

Just copy files, disks, ADF's, whatever...

A little bit a mucking around, but once set-up it's very easy.