English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 January 2010, 18:12   #81
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Are you kidding? With a dual-core 1.5 GHz main processor it will run EUAE really well. I suspect that if they finally get a decent Mesa implementation it will use the shader hardware in one of those PCIe x16 card slot graphics cards to do fairly well with emulation. Not only that, but I'd expect the EUAE sources to get modded to run on the Xena chip in a real hurry.
Old 05 January 2010, 18:17   #82
hit

powerfull machine it seems, but no clue what the xmos-addons are able to deliver. maybe emulation of aga-machines is possible this way too, as seen on [ Show youtube player ] Sid-Emulation on youtube. sourcefiles of the demo are here
Old 05 January 2010, 18:21   #83
Parsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
If cant run my old games and demos, sorry but not interested
It will run them via emulation, but the results will be the same as something like UAE on Windows or Linux. Close but not perfect.

It's not really intended for that you're better off keeping your classic hardware.

Edit: unless Xena can be made to do something clever as said above.
Old 05 January 2010, 18:36   #84
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
doesnt os4 already have a new app called runinUAE or something that runs a classic emu when you dbl click the .adf file?

---------

edit

http://cshandley.co.uk/runinuae/
Old 05 January 2010, 19:10   #85
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
So it's more powerful Amiga hardware with a fully programmable coprocessor.

I find it interesting, and it's good to see a new platform being developed. One thing confuses me though, how would multitasking working with that XMOS chip? Surely it can only "be" one thing at one time?
I'm not sure I see the point of the XMOS at all. 400 MIPS is comparable to an old PPC G3. With OpenCL and GPUs readily available why use this? Seems tacked on.
Old 05 January 2010, 19:19   #86
hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Castillo View Post
I'm not sure I see the point of the XMOS at all. 400 MIPS is comparable to an old PPC G3. With OpenCL and GPUs readily available why use this? Seems tacked on.
yes, not much seen separately, but this xena (xmos) is just a custom chip not the main-cpu - the ocs/aga chipset was only 3.5 MHz compared to 7 Mhz of the main-cpu (68000) - and you can add more. Its been said, they are cheap ( US $5 ?! ).

Edit #2: maybe things like the RPU (realTime Raytracing hardware) - running @ 66MHz - are possible with Xena(s) too.

Last edited by hit; 05 January 2010 at 19:46. Reason: add more xenas
Old 05 January 2010, 20:05   #87
Parsec

That is a good point, even as a coprocessor it's not that powerful. Especially compared to a GPU in a PC.

But there is the ability to chain them together, up to 256 of them!
Old 05 January 2010, 20:48   #88
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Raw computational power is not the only aspect. Larrabee consists of Pentium cores ('93). And it's still cool imo.
Old 05 January 2010, 21:15   #89
chiark
Needs a life

I'm loving the tags on this thread
Old 05 January 2010, 21:51   #90
hit

noone with an idea, what could fit in the Xena(s)? *gosh*
what about [ Show youtube player ] emulation ?
since one of the amiga custom chips was inclusing the floppy-controller, is it possible to have one in these Xena(s) - using the xorro-slot to have a floppy connected?

if i got the concept of the Xcore somehow correct, its like an FPGA - but here you have the advantage, its been integrated in a whole system - no need for special developer boards or the like, just an interface card, for what you want connect to it.
doesnt sounds that bad.
Old 05 January 2010, 22:26   #91
mfletcher
Bawbag.

I hope AmigaKit has sold all their stock of SAM440 boards... If you were a prospective buyer, you would probably hold off until this new board come out. When? Nobody knows!

I just wish more investment had gone into more affordable platforms like the minimig...
Old 05 January 2010, 23:06   #92
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Castillo View Post
It's just the one on board to experiment on. you can buy the a hundred 1600mips version if you like. or need
Old 05 January 2010, 23:51   #93
Paul_s

AmigaOne prototype now available on eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180453089933

I've ended it, so at least it doesn't get deleted by eBay PM me offers

Last edited by Paul_s; 05 January 2010 at 23:57.
Old 06 January 2010, 00:07   #94
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
It's just the one on board to experiment on. you can buy the a hundred 1600mips version if you like. or need
It doesn't seem practical with more viable solutions readily available. I suppose it may be for emulation of older, simpler hardware not needing much power.
Old 06 January 2010, 00:42   #95
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
AmigaOne prototype now available on eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180453089933

I've ended it, so at least it doesn't get deleted by eBay PM me offers
That's not cool
Old 06 January 2010, 03:51   #96
bird
tRSi-iNNOVATiONs

Sounds almost too good. Besides the presentation so far isnt exactly proffessional.

That being said i gonna keep an eye on this and maybe even hold back buying a new rig 'til summer. The emo thread on amigaworld, if it turns out to be all bubbles again, will be entertaining either way.
Old 06 January 2010, 07:56   #97
xlar54

Here's what may be a dumb question. Im glad for all these tech advances over time, but ....whats so wrong with the classic machines? Really? Take an A4000 or 1200 (or 2000 even!), add a large amount of RAM, give them 060 accellerators (or invent an 070, etc). Include a sweet video system. And SELL them. Are these people so blind to see that the market they are selling to, is US? Youre not going to sell and AmigaOneThousand to your average PC user. Its us - this community - who wants an Amiga-branded product. And if we wanted x86 or PPC, we would go with a Mac or Windows machine. 680x0 may be slower, but anymore, who really cares? Have they really learned nothing from brand loyalty?
Old 06 January 2010, 09:27   #98
Slayer
Amiga Member

You lot are never going to change, you keep focusing on what a new Amiga solution can't do instead of realising this will be a great system for THOSE who enjoy using AmigaOS4.x

I've always used AmigaOS and I'm very glad this is coming along... I have 2 SAMs and they are extremely happy about what is going on

You are all blinded by your mass misconception that YOU are supposedly the target market... Sure the DIE Hards like me are going to buy one already, that's a given, make that 2 actually LOL... But you are seriously incorrect if your choice to not buy one is worrying to the bigger picture...

This is where the Amiga is going to emerge again... just like I made my decision to get a cpu that had just been released in 1985/6 someone else will make the choice to get this new machine... It won't be the same market but people are still people and alot of people don't like being the same... anyway...

Gossip away and make fun of a potential turn of events some of you would support if you'd just get past what you expect from todays market and also your discontentment in your own choices of the past...

I've always been 100% Amiga User and I always will, AmigaOS and keeping it out of the hands of others is WAY COOL! heh

On another note this does raise a question for me... I mean, as I collect more New Amiga Hardware, is there really any point holding on to my 90+ classic systems... Do you have any idea how much money I could make if I merely got $100 per system? heh
Old 06 January 2010, 11:02   #99
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
You lot are never going to change, you keep focusing on what a new Amiga solution can't do instead of realising this will be a great system for THOSE who enjoy using AmigaOS4.x

I've always used AmigaOS and I'm very glad this is coming along... I have 2 SAMs and they are extremely happy about what is going on

You are all blinded by your mass misconception that YOU are supposedly the target market... Sure the DIE Hards like me are going to buy one already, that's a given, make that 2 actually LOL... But you are seriously incorrect if your choice to not buy one is worrying to the bigger picture...

This is where the Amiga is going to emerge again... just like I made my decision to get a cpu that had just been released in 1985/6 someone else will make the choice to get this new machine... It won't be the same market but people are still people and alot of people don't like being the same... anyway...

Gossip away and make fun of a potential turn of events some of you would support if you'd just get past what you expect from todays market and also your discontentment in your own choices of the past...

I've always been 100% Amiga User and I always will, AmigaOS and keeping it out of the hands of others is WAY COOL! heh

On another note this does raise a question for me... I mean, as I collect more New Amiga Hardware, is there really any point holding on to my 90+ classic systems... Do you have any idea how much money I could make if I merely got $100 per system? heh
I'd love to play with OS4 just for something different. Windows gets a bit boring after a while

If they just sold a complete solution for a fair price (it WILL need to compete against a Windows box, otherwise the market will be too small and no bugger will buy it and development will be sloowww).

This is the problem with it, Windows/Linux and others can do more for far less. The hardware (x86) is cheap. In a way the OS4 hardware is like the mac was before it was moved over to x86.

The only way OS4 will see a market boost is to drop the bespoke hardware idea and move it over to x86..... sales would go through the roof. But they won't do it for some bizarre reason. Maybe they have more money than sense or just can't be arsed to spend some time recoding it all....

and the vicious circle continues...

Last edited by Paul_s; 06 January 2010 at 11:07.
Old 06 January 2010, 11:02   #100
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

You're a nut.