English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 April 2005, 03:57   #41
Slayer
Amiga Member

@Firthy2002

heh... I know you don't hate me :P but hey, do not fear, I used to dream literally of A4000s only to wake up and finding it was just a dream...

now I own five
Old 24 April 2005, 04:49   #42
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I just get bent out of shape when I come to an Amiga forum looking for realistic talk and people get elitist in here. I don't like elitist wether its on x86, Linux, Amiga, or Mac platform. All the elitist talk gets is a flamewar.

I have spent many $1000's on my retro computer hobby. Any platform you pick will have meaningfull upgrades and ones that are just useless that people buy just to say they have it. The buyer should do alot of research and know what they want to do with the machine before spending the money. People here should either add usefull information to those people or just say nothing.
Old 24 April 2005, 06:46   #43
woody57

Thankyou gentlemen for allowing this topic to procede forward and it demonstrates that we can agree to disagree on things that are a matter of perspective of viewpoint , because even if Slayer has no use for a comparitive thread , there will be others with less knoledge who are looking for guidance in this area .

As an update to the earlier issue of the " NON available " automon for B-Vision raised by Keropi .

I wish to state I aquired one through EBAY [ for less than €28 with p&p] which I have in my possesion [ so I know its real & not a myth ] and will be including my observations of its usefullness once it has been tryed out over the following few weeks.

Hopefully now additional posters will consider " jumping the gun " on this item & the mediator /g-rex issues as I can only plead ignorance myself in these areas and would consider it useful to the thread if these topics could be first hand reported .
Old 24 April 2005, 08:54   #44
Slayer
Amiga Member

hmmm...

how available are cybervision PPC boards? I wouldn't mind hooking one up to the cyberstorm and placing the current cybervision64/3D into this A4000 desktop and then placing its PicassoII+ into...err ya get the picture...

I understand Unknown_K it's just a pity more people wouldn't be more tolerant of the Amigas now dated potential...

and yes woodshed57, keep us posted eh!
Old 24 April 2005, 11:37   #45
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
I accept though, the mac mini is a consmer line model, not a pro model, so if I said so I stand corrected. Nevertheless what you say is absolute garbage.
I happen to like the IBooks, look very cool and preferable to the average pc laptop. But everything i stated about macmini is true. the collage at which I work thaught it would be a good idea to get a couple for mediastudies . Altrhough there the lower end version designed for nothing more then connecting your ipod and running itunes, the machines are unusable for anything else. Fire up photoshop and ya start to crawl along once its found enough memorty to load it self into. theres no way it can be called a pro box

Back to Amiga PPC though. It probably isnt a good time annymore to invest lots into for classic amigas. The hardware is just getting too old and fragile and the ppc apps were getting really does benefit the faster machines. classic ppc was great to have when it came out...but i think its time to put that money into the new faster amigaone if youre serious about staying with Amiga.
Old 24 April 2005, 12:04   #46
Slayer
Amiga Member

Some of us have/are getting an A1

by the end of the year I should be running a 1.4 gig processor or there abouts...

Plenty fast for a modern machine... especially since we all know the AmigaOS is so compact reliable and hardly resource hungry... Weeee, good times ahead

course, I'll still look after my classic range
Old 24 April 2005, 18:44   #47
Firthy2002
2nd era...

Send a message via ICQ to Firthy2002 Send a message via AIM to Firthy2002 Send a message via MSN to Firthy2002 Send a message via Yahoo to Firthy2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer
@Firthy2002

heh... I know you don't hate me :P but hey, do not fear, I used to dream literally of A4000s only to wake up and finding it was just a dream...

now I own five
I always wanted an A4000 since I first saw one in First Computers back in the day. But I especially want an A4000T.
Old 25 April 2005, 00:14   #48
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt
the collage at which I work thaught it would be a good idea to get a couple for mediastudies . Altrhough there the lower end version designed for nothing more then connecting your ipod and running itunes, the machines are unusable for anything else. Fire up photoshop and ya start to crawl along once its found enough memorty to load it self into. theres no way it can be called a pro box ;
Have you heard the words "upgrade memory", ever? You think 256MB is enough in your PC? It isn't enough in the Mac Mini either.

My iBook has 384MB of RAM and a GEE THREE processor at SEVEN HUNDRED MEGAHERTZ, not a GEE FOUR processor at ONE POINT TWENTY FIVE GIGAHERTZ like the mac mini. My iBook works flawlessly with Photoshop, Final Cut Pro and whatever I shiove at it. Please explain to me how can a mac mini underperform.
Old 25 April 2005, 02:39   #49
Unknown_K

The Mac mini has 256mb ram which is a little on the small side for OSX with a few apps open. Since the swapfile is on a very slow HD vitual memory performace will be bad.

Compare the same app on a dual G5 with 1GB of memory and a FAST HD and on the mini and you will notice a big difference.

Its just a matter of speed, especialy while multitasking. System speed is affected by quite a lot more then just the processor and video card.
Old 25 April 2005, 03:10   #50
Amiga1992

That's why I said "UPGRADE RAM".

It's stupid to use a 256MB system and say "it doesn't run Photoshop". it's the fault of not having enough RAM and not because the minimac is underpowered. My Example works well to illustrate it.
Old 25 April 2005, 06:50   #51
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firthy2002
I always wanted an A4000 since I first saw one in First Computers back in the day. But I especially want an A4000T.
Well, I guess I better come clean now that I've noticed the specifics. The A4000T I have isn't a trye A4000T it's a A4000D placed into a tower system. So along with you I can hang out for an authentic A4000T too! feel better?

But hey, I do have a 100% working genuine A3000T and in some ways this is probably more a gem...

Old 25 April 2005, 07:15   #52
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer
Well, I guess I better come clean now that I've noticed the specifics. The A4000T I have isn't a trye A4000T it's a A4000D placed into a tower system.
A-hA!! He got you there ;D
Quote:
But hey, I do have a 100% working genuine A3000T and in some ways this is probably more a gem...
Are you DoomMaster?
Old 25 April 2005, 07:51   #53
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
A-hA!! He got you there ;D
HEY!!!! ya make it sound like I was trying to hide the fact... I merely elaborated so he'd feel better and being so honest I couldn't allow people to believe otherwise... how can one be so self righteous and elite if you lie... that's when you cease to be one thing and become another... err yeah

Quote:
Are you DoomMaster?
Excuse my ignorance but I wish I knew what the reference means
Old 25 April 2005, 08:59   #54
manicx

Quote:
Are you DoomMaster?
Old 25 April 2005, 11:38   #55
Slayer
Amiga Member

Not sure I like that laughing Manicx hopefully I'm wrong otherwise I can think of few labels for what's going on here that you won't like but I'll find funny
Old 25 April 2005, 12:16   #56
manicx

Of course you are wrong! DoomMaster is Akira's best EAB friend!!!
Old 25 April 2005, 14:54   #57
woody57

Now Manix your teasing the man , doomaster is Akira,s STALKER and as such definitley does NOT belong in here with his " military spec A500 "

Doomy would already have trashed ppc , berated ALL 4000, 3000, 1200 combo's and accused us all of talking rubbish becayse were not "class 4 Amiga technicians living in OHIO " personally I have already published a cartoon of this " ploughboy's " true activities and as such I am quite sure Slayer would have steered clear of such an OFF TOPIC item and be unaware of Doomasters existance .

Now we have the minimac question answered thanks to AKIRA

Can we move on to G-rex /mediator question ? or is thread now DOOMED
Old 25 April 2005, 15:35   #58
Slayer
Amiga Member

Woo woodshed57 the pinnacle of sensibility!

and here I was coming back to go wheeee to being Akira's
best EAB friend... ah well...

but yes, lets get back on track (we are not doomed )
and I should get to bed... too busy trying to compile
something and it's getting late... 1:36am and work in
few hours... grr

*wave*
Old 25 April 2005, 22:34   #59
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodshed57
Now Manix your teasing the man , doomaster is Akira,s STALKER and as such definitley does NOT belong in here with his " military spec A500 "

Doomy would already have trashed ppc , berated ALL 4000, 3000, 1200 combo's and accused us all of talking rubbish becayse were not "class 4 Amiga technicians living in OHIO " personally I have already published a cartoon of this " ploughboy's " true activities and as such I am quite sure Slayer would have steered clear of such an OFF TOPIC item and be unaware of Doomasters existance .

Now we have the minimac question answered thanks to AKIRA

Can we move on to G-rex /mediator question ? or is thread now DOOMED
Hey I live in Ohio dammit, DoomMaster lives on the other side of the country (Oregon maybe?)
Old 25 April 2005, 23:13   #60
woody57

Eek Not another off topic post

Considering the size of your Native State Unknown K I am not in the least suprised if it contains a few " nutjobs " like Doomaster

Who sadly perpetuate the potato farmhand myth , however since the aforesaid " class 4 technician " also CLAIMED to be in Ohio he was proberly from some " hick town " from some other state and believed borrowing yours gave him a touch of " Cultural Sophistication "

Isn't it crazy that were discussing someone who hasn't posted in here for quite a long time ?

Now that assumption has been BURIED can we please move on