English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 12 April 2013, 05:17   #1
tesla

Installing Video Toaster v1.0 software on a B-2000

I am trying to install the software (v1) for a video toaster, (Original version).

It's in a B-2000 with 3.1 roms and 3.1 installed.

I have a 1 gig scsi drive partitioned in half, connected to a Blizzard 2060.

When I insert the 1st disk, and start the install, it tells me that I don't have enough room on my drive. I don't know if it knows I have two partitions, there is no sign of that. I have tried installing the disk by moving the filles to the 2nd partition, after reading about someone else's experience on-line, but I still get the same problem.

Has anyone experienced this problem and solved it?
Old 12 April 2013, 06:07   #2
Cymru

Hi

The software was written in the OS 1.3 days and sees large partitions as negative numbers. You can edit the install script to bypass this, install to a partition of 80 MB, install to a small CF card, etc.
Old 12 April 2013, 06:15   #3
tesla

Now that makes sense.

But, to be honest, I am not very familiar with editing the install script. Do you know of a walk-through I can read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru View Post
The software was written in the OS 1.3 days and sees large partitions as negative numbers. You can edit the install script to bypass this, install to a partition of 80 MB, install to a small CF card, etc.
Old 12 April 2013, 23:02   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla View Post
Now that makes sense.

But, to be honest, I am not very familiar with editing the install script. Do you know of a walk-through I can read?
Okay, here goes:

In general, the install script will be a file on your first or only installation floppy disk which invokes and controls your 'Installer' program when opened to copy the various programs and data files to your hard drive and set the configuration in accordance with your wishes.

The install script may therefore appear to be an executable file with a name like 'Video Toaster Installer'.

Make a copy of your first installation disk (make sure the original disk is write protected first!), then open this file on the copy disk with a text editor, such as Workbench's 'Ed' Program, and have a lok at the script.

Look for the part where it checks the available space on your destination drive and bypass it or delete it.

Then check that this disk is also write protected and repeat your installation steps using your copy disk instead of the original.

If the installer asks whether you wish to use Novice mode or Advanced mode, choose Advanced mode, because this gives you the opportunity to confirm or overrride the default installation drive and directory, etc.

This is useful for two reasons:

(1) If the software is set by default to be installed to your floppy drive, you can override this and install it instead to your hard drive. Don't laugh, many WB 1.3 apps and quite a few later ones are actually configured by default to be installed to the floppy drive (the six-disk Workbench 3.1 floppy installation set is a classic example of this!)

(2) Once the hard drive is selected, you can ensure that the software will install to the correct partition.

Now you will have a much greater chance of success.

PS. If you get the message "The software cannot open your 'Installer' program", then try this: Installer44.10.zip

Last edited by prowler; 12 April 2013 at 23:27. Reason: Typo.
Old 12 April 2013, 23:22   #5
tesla

Thanks!

I will try your suggestion.
Old 12 April 2013, 23:26   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

If you don't feel able to fix the installation script satisfactorily yourself, post a copy of it to The Zone and we'll have a look at it for you.
Old 13 April 2013, 06:51   #7
gulliver
BoingBagged

BTW, if you could upload those disks as images to The Zone, it would be great, as I am looking for an earlier version than Lightwave 3.5 that I have.

I took my first steps at 3d with Lightwave 1 and mastered it when at 2.0. I would really love to relive those memories.

Good luck with your script editing!
It is easy so dont give up
Old 13 April 2013, 08:59   #8
Cymru

The Installer Program was a OS 2 addition and would not be a standard for version 1 if I recall correctly.
Old 13 April 2013, 13:53   #9
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
BTW, if you could upload those disks as images to The Zone, it would be great, as I am looking for an earlier version than Lightwave 3.5 that I have.
you can find lightwave 1.05 in the lightwave plugins thread - on ftp server - user uploads "emu".

tesla:
do you have a cd-rom on your machine? on ftp server you can find a more recent version of the toaster software. this should work also with the early versions of the videotoaster. cdrom image you can use, using diskimage from aminet - if you dont have a cdrom but enough space on a device (cf-card).
if this sounds too advanced at the moment, just keep in mind you have at least the possibility to use it somehow
ftp folder: /Commodore_Amiga/CD/AmigaCD/App/
file: VideoToaster43.zip
you need a single install floppy image which you can find in the zone. ( filename: Toaster4.3.adf ).

Last edited by emufan; 13 April 2013 at 14:09.
Old 13 April 2013, 18:01   #10
tesla

I do have a CD drive, but I have never been able to get it to work properly, (otherwise I'd have 3.9 installed now).
However, I can use my null-modem cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
you can find lightwave 1.05 in the lightwave plugins thread - on ftp server - user uploads "emu".

tesla:
do you have a cd-rom on your machine? on ftp server you can find a more recent version of the toaster software. this should work also with the early versions of the videotoaster. cdrom image you can use, using diskimage from aminet - if you dont have a cdrom but enough space on a device (cf-card).
if this sounds too advanced at the moment, just keep in mind you have at least the possibility to use it somehow
ftp folder: /Commodore_Amiga/CD/AmigaCD/App/
file: VideoToaster43.zip
you need a single install floppy image which you can find in the zone. ( filename: Toaster4.3.adf ).

Last edited by tesla; 17 April 2013 at 04:56.
Old 13 April 2013, 18:48   #11
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla View Post
I do have a CD drive, but I have never been able to get it to work properly, (otherwise I'd have 3.9 installed now).
However, I can use my null-modem cable, that sounds good.
oh sorry. i forgot about the other thread I look into it, there must be a solutiion.
Old 13 April 2013, 20:46   #12
TjLaZer

any way you can upload the Toaster 1.0 software? Some of us have been looking for it for a while now. You can use DMS or ADF images to upload them. If you were closer I could do it easily as I have a A4000 that is on my home LAN.
Old 13 April 2013, 21:11   #13
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
any way you can upload the Toaster 1.0 software? Some of us have been looking for it for a while now. You can use DMS or ADF images to upload them.
i agree of course you can make such adf images with TSGui from aminet ( choose disk, then Disk -> File ).
Old 13 April 2013, 21:13   #14
Cymru

Off topic but why don't you open a thread about getting your CDROM working?
Old 14 April 2013, 14:49   #15
tesla

I would be glad, but I am just trying to do one thing at a time. I am a hardware guy, not a software guy, and years of PC-complacancy have made it so a lot of the stuff that is being talking about is barely familiar to me. Like the ED command. I tried it, but the explanation assumes I know some things that I don't.

For example, do I need to specify the complete path? This is what I want to do:

ED the install script for the first disk, and then send it to another disk, so as to not modify the first disk.

*IF* that works well, good. If not, at least I still have the original in good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
any way you can upload the Toaster 1.0 software? Some of us have been looking for it for a while now. You can use DMS or ADF images to upload them. If you were closer I could do it easily as I have a A4000 that is on my home LAN.

Last edited by tesla; 17 April 2013 at 04:57.
Old 14 April 2013, 14:52   #16
tesla

Cymru,

I did, (kind of) and it IS working better than before, but between Thomas and I, we could never get it to work well enough to load 3.9, or to do anything useful. To me, to put it in a nutshell, it locks up, it shows directories, but not subdirectories, etc.

Once I get the Videotoaster working, I will work on the cd. I don't want to get into too many things at one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru View Post
Off topic but why don't you open a thread about getting your CDROM working?

Last edited by tesla; 17 April 2013 at 04:58.
Old 14 April 2013, 19:59   #17
TjLaZer

So the Toaster 1.0 software comes on 8 disks? I might take you up on it and send you 8 disks to copy it, then I can upload it on here for everyone.

Also, why not just install the newer versions of the software since you have OS 3.1?

Last edited by prowler; 14 April 2013 at 21:12. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 14 April 2013, 20:22   #18
tesla

Well, I don't have a later version, but once I get more competent, perhaps I will be able to.

EDIT:

You know, everyone here is helpful, but it seems most here are much more knowledgable than me about basic tasks, (Such as using the ED command) Isn't there a "Amiga-stuff" tutorial written for guys like me?

Last edited by tesla; 14 April 2013 at 21:27.
Old 15 April 2013, 00:54   #19
emufan

i wrote some lines on the other thread, which will help i think:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
if you still get errors while booting, you can edit startup-sequence and add to the very first line (ed s:startup-sequence):
set echo on

and at the end of the startup-sequence, remove the endcli, or comment out the line:

;EndCLI >NIL:

this will show all executed commands, and maybe better error messages.

can you list the content of the CD1 file? maybe list on screen and take a photo with a cam
this command from cli should list the file: ed devs:dosdrivers/cd1

Edit: you got a manual for your 2060? here is one. look again to the jumpers and termination of the scsi chain.
the driver page itself , you already found?

Edit: there is another CD-FileSystem: AsimCDFS 3.9a - download it from the zone <-- login and click on the link and follow the short instruction.
the "the zone" link you find next to the "logout" button - once you login.
On that disk is a tool called SCSI Inquire", which may help you to find some info about the blizzard scsi device /may help with CD1.
Old 15 April 2013, 05:15   #20
Ami_GFX

There might be some incompatibilities with the early version of the Toaster software you have and the later OS 3.1. I've seen this with Newtek's Digiview software when I upgraded my A2500 from OS 2.1 and 2.05 rom to OS 3.1 and Kickstart 3.1. Digiview stopped working at some resolutions. I have adfs of Toaster 2.0. For an A2000 system that might be a better option and I know this version works with OS 3.1 in an A2000 Toaster. A while back I had an A2000 Toaster working with 2.0 and 4.3 installed. Toaster 4.3 is nice but you need an A4000 with a Toaster 4000 and a Flyer to get the full benefit. 2.0 was the version that really took off and one reason that 1.0 is so rare is that Newtek quickly replaced it with 2.0.

I've uploaded a zip of the Toaster 2.0 adfs to the zone. If you can't get version 1.0 to install, 2.0 should work for you and you will just need to copy the adfs to floppies. 14 dsdd floppies in all. Making the floppies won't be nearly as dificult as editing an install script.