English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 12 July 2019, 02:16   #21
jmprice_314159

Let's wait for an Amiga expert to comment on how to reduce the "ram disk" memory allocated from the fast ram. Thanks for your replies though.
Old 12 July 2019, 03:13   #22
quantum8

What OS/install are you running? It sounds like you might have a few improvement processes running that would chew the memory and not be seen in the ram disk...
Old 12 July 2019, 03:42   #23
jmprice_314159

It is 3.1. I bought an sd card on ebay that was preconfigured with everything. The ram disk indicates it is 12% full, but from what I read it is supposed to always be 100% full.
Old 12 July 2019, 08:49   #24
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmprice_314159 View Post
It is 3.1. I bought an sd card on ebay that was preconfigured with everything.
It hasn't specified that OS you have installed (Workbench standart, ClassicWB etc..), to get the maximum amount of RAM available you need to have a lean OS with a startup-sequence simplified to the maximum this will give you the maximum of ram:

C:Assign ENV: RAM:
C:LoadWB
EndCLI

If I'm using a version of "ClassicWB Full" for example you have to create a new startup-sequence with the commands written above and replace the "LoadWB" command with the original one, you also have to rename the WBStartup so that the applications included in that drawer don't start.

Quote:
The ram disk indicates it is 12% full, but from what I read it is supposed to always be 100% full.
About RAM 100% full read here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1105556

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 12 July 2019 at 10:28.
Old 12 July 2019, 10:36   #25
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmprice_314159 View Post
How to reduce size of ram disk in A1200 that consumes most of the fast ram? I've read that the ram disk is only supposed to use as much ram as the items stored in it. But, mine is 12% full but consumes close to 3 MB of my fast ram in the expansion card. Is there any way to reduce the size of the ram disk to free up the fast ram?

I'm a new owner of the A1200 and don't know much about Amigas.
Those figures are somewhat at odds. You have a system setup there that's not a standard Amiga OS installation, which makes sorting these issues out a little tricky. It's a modified setup that includes lots of extras which, while mostly useful and helpful, also mean it's more difficult to tell what's going on because you're entirely at the whim of whoever prepared the setup for you.

Now, about those figures: How much RAM do you have installed in your machine? The RAM disk will only use as much RAM as it needs to store the files that have been put in it. Normally it shows 100% full all the time, but patches can be applied that make it show a percentage of all the free RAM instead. If your RAM disk has 3MB used in it, but is still only 12% full, your problem with games not working is not a lack of RAM. If those numbers are correct, it would suggest your Amiga has a 24MB RAM expansion, which is a rare configuration.

What would be useful to see is the output of the Avail command: Open a Shell/CLI window, type Avail and press enter. This will show the RAM fitted, in use, and free to use.
Old 12 July 2019, 10:45   #26
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

The ram disk is dynamic, its size is the sum of the files you copy to it, therefore you can only reduce the size by removing some files from it. If it consumes 3MB after a reboot, you have something on your system that copies many/large files there during boot.

Last edited by hooverphonique; 12 July 2019 at 10:51.
Old 12 July 2019, 11:08   #27
AMIGASYSTEM

As already mentioned you should say that OS you're loading, if you don't know it you make a screenshot of the Workbench.

Try to start a clean system, to do this as soon as you turn on Amiga hold down the two buttons on the mouse, after this you will see the menu Early Startup Control where you have to click on Boot With no startup-sequence.
Done this at the command prompt type:

C:Assign ENV: RAM:
C:LoadWB
EndCLI

if you are using the "ClassicWB Full" system you will receive an error due to "Scalos" (for the reasons mentioned above) but don't worry the Workbench will be loaded anyway, doing this you will have the maximum RAM available.
Old 12 July 2019, 17:23   #28
daxb

You can disable RamDisk with assign dismount but I wouldn't recommend that. First, you need to check what data is placed in Ram ("List Ram: all"). How large is ENV:? With env-handler running ENV: should contain only some kilobyte of data (here 55kb at the moment). Without env-handler the OS copies ENVARC: to ENV:.

What is the output of "avail"?