English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 03 May 2019, 12:08   #1
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Sponsorship for old skool retr0geek

This is really off topic but as a regular contributor to the forum I thought it might be ok.

Being the super typical hw hacker dude in his bedroom I've always been a bit chunky but in 2009 I realised that I needed to loose weight and over 15 months I lost 15 stone.... but 10 years on I'm back to my old size, find it increasingly hard to get in and out of the loft to get those retro computer bits.

So I've taken a 20 month sponsored diet, I did it last time and it really helped motivate me, mainly the twist... a penalty clause whereby I donate my own money (1/20th of the total donated each month) should I go off track.

The money raised is going to Helen and Douglas house which is a hospice near me for terminally ill children and their families.

Check it out (plus you get to see what I look like) and donate even a couple of £, $ or € (other currencies accepted)

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/lardloss
Old 03 May 2019, 15:36   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I hope this diet run involves periodic sessions with a dietary expert to keep an eye on your numbers. Too many people just wing it with this shit and end up doing permanent damage. But at least it's not a crash diet, 20 months is a pretty respectable run. I wish you the best of luck.

For some proper kickstart to your motivation, I suggest you watch a couple of movies that you should be able to find on Youtube or Netflix.

- Super Size Me. This movie is 90% utter bullcrap, but to see someone eat themselves sick on fast food is just the best demotivator - to eat fast food. I watch it once a year just for the heck of it.

- That Sugar Film. This movie is 95% truth, a really good motivator to just cut the sugar crap and never look back at it.

- Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead 1 and 2. These movies are about juicing and doing a "system reboot". I don't believe in juicing, it's a dangerous practice that is very akin to crash dieting and when done improperly can cause severe health issues. That does not take away the fact that both these movies are inspirational to see and can give lots of ideas, I love them.

It's a good time to live in to eat well and still make it tasty, there are plenty of channels on Youtube that show easy ways to cook awesome things with veggies without having to deep fry anything. My oven has never seen more use than this year. Especially Indian and Mexican cuisine is high on my list of favorites.
Old 15 May 2019, 09:19   #3
E-Penguin
Banana

I started doing "5-2" intermittent fasting (2 non-consecutive days a week of eating ~500 calories, rest as normal). Initially I did it out of curiosity, to see what the fuss was all about; autophagy and the like. Although weight loss wasn't the motivation it has actually been very good. No special foods or "banned foods", just be a bit hungry twice a week.
Old 09 July 2019, 12:10   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Just donated mate, best of luck
Old 09 July 2019, 13:55   #5
Hewitson

Can't afford to donate, but think it's a great cause and wish you all the best with it.

Unfortunately I have the opposite problem, I find it difficult to eat.
Old 11 July 2019, 11:44   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Unfortunately I have the opposite problem, I find it difficult to eat.
Yikes. Do you know why?