English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 August 2014, 21:54   #21
pampers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post
But what about that restriction?

1. Every component of the MorphOS PowerUP Free Edition may only be used on PowerPC accelerator cards by phase5/DCE. Usage on any other hardware and/or inside of emulation environments is strictly forbidden.
True. I just asked one of the dev from the team and he confirmed that this point is still valid.

Old 14 August 2014, 22:01   #22
amigafreak68k

Ok, What's the problem? The END-USER doesn't use MorphOS in Emulations. This doesn't say, that it couldn't be possible!

BTW: Which emulation does run MorphOS at the mean time?!
Old 14 August 2014, 22:18   #23
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post
But what about that restriction?

1. Every component of the MorphOS PowerUP Free Edition may only be used on PowerPC accelerator cards by phase5/DCE. Usage on any other hardware and/or inside of emulation environments is strictly forbidden.
I find this statement like saying that you can not sing my song in your shower or something.
Old 14 August 2014, 22:21   #24
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
There is some problems with rom selection, it works better if you keep rom selection dialog blank (=autoselect). Should work better in next beta.

btw, attached is some never before seen screenshots..

EDIT: In next beta. Boots horribly slowly but WB runs quite nicely. Should be much better when/if PearPC JIT can be added. Also remember that OS 4 is commercial product, don't ask stupid questions.
@All, here is where you can BUY AmigaOS4.1 classic!
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1035
Old 14 August 2014, 22:58   #25
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
In fact I've been tempted several times to sell my Cd, as I only used it maybe 10 times with my BPPC/BVision. Only good was internet for my "slow" miggy, but now I will get -I hope- a good use of it

I also know I have some updates pending that I never installed, scared of it not booting anymore or whatever, as the installation on real hardware -changing the cd from ide 1 to ide 0 on the idefix- was very painful.

Edit: Also for what I know there is no cd image of OS4.1 on the web, so everybody will have to buy it from sellers.

Last edited by Retrofan; 15 August 2014 at 00:33.
Old 14 August 2014, 23:31   #26
huepper

Quote:
I have already bought OS4.0 , but if WinUAE emulates the PPC good ( or even very good) and it is this OS running on it , I'll buy me another 4.1 OS.
Old 14 August 2014, 23:42   #27
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
I don't have a lot of use for OS4 myself, but i'm sure it will be a boon for potential OS4 developers that can contribute without needing the expensive hardware themselves.
Old 15 August 2014, 00:26   #28
amadama

This is now a very unique situation for Hyperion and Amiga OS.
The "POTENTIAL" users for Amiga OS 4.1 has now gone up by at least an order of magnitude.
A cheaper version of the OS would certainly spur further use and development. (This is why I highlight the word "potential" before. I don't think 10x more people will be willing to pay US$118 for it...)
It would also behoove them to support Toni in his efforts (perhaps they do, I don't know).
Old 15 August 2014, 01:00   #29
vitux
Banned

I think the classic version 4.1, is different from that used by Sams and AmigaOnes or Pegasos.
Old 15 August 2014, 01:08   #30
amadama

There are four variants:
Classic
AmigaOne
Pegasos
Samantha
Old 15 August 2014, 02:23   #31
tolkien
AmigaMan

And what about morphos? It is more interesting to me.
Old 15 August 2014, 02:25   #32
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
There is some problems with rom selection, it works better if you keep rom selection dialog blank (=autoselect). Should work better in next beta.

btw, attached is some never before seen screenshots..

EDIT: In next beta. Boots horribly slowly but WB runs quite nicely. Should be much better when/if PearPC JIT can be added. Also remember that OS 4 is commercial product, don't ask stupid questions.
Toni, very nicely done. Looking forward to trying the next beta with OS 4.1 Classic.
Old 15 August 2014, 02:28   #33
Sandro
Banned

can anyone upload please a winuae config with cyberstorm working, thanks
Old 15 August 2014, 02:39   #34
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitux View Post
I think the classic version 4.1, is different from that used by Sams and AmigaOnes or Pegasos.
It is different, in the sense that it supports the classic hardware in the kernel. There is a specific kernel for classic. And of course other legacy drivers for Zorro III graphic cards.

To make the emulation complete PCI support should be emulated, then perhaps it's possible to somehow get Radeon/compositing working. The easiest busboard to emulate would be the Mediator or Prometheus/firestorm (both supported on NetBSD I believe).
Old 15 August 2014, 02:54   #35
esc

I have a recommendation: In post 1 of this thread (@B14ck W01f) - maybe we can make it be an information dump, like a landing page for quick info. Links to working uae configuration files, step by step instructions to get the most (install cwb 3.9, grab the warpup/powerup libs with links, install instructions step by step, how to get various software to work, etc). I know I certainly would benefit from this And I'd be happy to contribute. Anyone else think this would be worthwhile?

Old 15 August 2014, 02:55   #36
amadama

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
I have a recommendation: In post 1 of this thread (@B14ck W01f) - maybe we can make it be an information dump, like a landing page for quick info. Links to working uae configuration files, step by step instructions to get the most (install cwb 3.9, grab the warpup/powerup libs with links, install instructions step by step, how to get various software to work, etc). I know I certainly would benefit from this And I'd be happy to contribute. Anyone else think this would be worthwhile?
As a PPC newb I would appreciate this very much.
Old 15 August 2014, 04:04   #37
Mequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampers View Post
Awesome progress. Maybe you want to give this a try http://powerup.morphos-team.net/
May be slightly off topic: Regarding the state of emulation of MorphOS (PPC) on Intel platforms, I recall that back in 2008, Mark "Bigfoot" Olsen (on the MorphOS team) released a screenshot of a patched version of QEMU emulating a Pegasos2 running MorphOS. (Direct link to screenshot)

Unfortunately it seems this project was abandoned, as seen with this 2009 interview with Mark Olsen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Brunet
- QEMU is another way to increase the number of potential clients for MorphOS. In April 2008, you published a screenshot showing QEMU emulating a Pegasos II with MorphOS 1.5/pre-2.0. Is there any news about it ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Olsen
No, none at all. The thing has been dead since that screenshot. Qemu has changed quite a lot internally since then, and most of the work would have to be redone. Furthermore it never worked that well at all: the emulated IDE controller caused problems, networking didn't work, sound didn't work, display required a modified Radeon driver inside MorphOS and it really wasn't very fast at all.
AFAIK MorphOS for classic Amigas + PPC is no longer in development, the latest branch currently at 3.7 mostly runs on old PPC Macs (a totally different platform to the classic Amiga environment emulated by WinUAE). The terms and conditions also rule out an emulated environment in practice - however hypothetically it would be interesting to consider.

Another thing: I am curious why PearPC's JIT was suggested for future WinUAE PPC emulation, since as far as I am aware PearPC is not actively maintained and is considered quite slow. How about a PPC JIT core from QEMU, or Dolphin (Gamecube/Wii emulator) - the latter is quite fast, if a recent i7 can comfortably emulate a 700MHz+ PPC CPU (and potentially more), this may be quite fast for OS4.x (and/or MorphOS).

My understanding is that the PPC JIT from SheepShaver (PPC classic Mac emulator) lacks MMU support which is needed for OS4.x. I'm not sure if MorphOS (whether the classic PowerUP Free Edition, or the current 3.x builds) has the same MMU requirement as OS4.x there.
Old 15 August 2014, 04:51   #38
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I find this statement like saying that you can not sing my song in your shower or something.
We all know that most people will try it anyway.

And I agree very much with esc and amadama about the first post.
Old 15 August 2014, 06:25   #39
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
That is a great idea!
Old 15 August 2014, 07:19   #40
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Quote:
That is a great idea!

Quote:
Hmm... Converting the UK price to Australian Dollars, that translates to $146.69, but I think that's far too much for me. I should wait until the price drops or head on over to eBay.